Number 9

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number 9
(14-09-2012, 08:18 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: Yea pretty much 99% sure that's a 1ZZ-FE.

Very reliable motors matey. Go alright too just lack that final bit of urge, but happy to rev. Boss has an early Celica which he let me cane the bollocks off of before I decided on mine (helped me decide I needed the one with more powaaaaa!)

Very true, never had a car so eager to rev.....but never get anywhere lol.

Liking the lack of lag though, what little power it has is instant!

(14-09-2012, 10:28 AM)lolsteve Wrote: so...little.....torque....ergggh?!?

Yep lol, thats petrol for ya.......bit different to the ~350Nm+ that the Golf had haha, and it shows too, the avensis doesnt actually have a bad 0-60, but theres no 'kick', it feels very smooth and progressive.

An update on broken parts - done around 60 miles in it now. So far the passenger side window doesn't work on either switch, the rear wiper doesn't work at all and.........well, actually thats it atm! Quite suprised all the other 'lectrics still work lol.

Must say though, it warm idles a bit low for me, around 700-750rpm, and when you clutch in the revs jump a bit (literally only 100rpm or so) so probably got a dirty ICV....either that or its normal but im used to DERVs now lol.
Thanks given by:
just think of the 306 you could have had for 900 smackers . . . :o . . . . . i'd have had a beauty for that . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2012, 03:10 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: just think of the 306 you could have had for 900 smackers . . . :o . . . . . i'd have had a beauty for that . .Smile

In Ipswich? And on a 52 plate? With 73k? And an onboard computer with range reader (first one Ive had, even the Golf didnt have a range thing lol!) Probably not many. Tongue
Thanks given by:
yeah i would, you just need Yorkshire haggling skills . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Haha, damn I wish I was Northern....oh wait... Big Grin
Thanks given by:
tom dont get too excited about the range reader. there all crap. The one in my skoda regularly tells me i will get 600 miles to empty on a tank. Lucky if i get 500 and that really is running it down to fumes!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2012, 03:20 PM)Niall Wrote: tom dont get too excited about the range reader. there all crap. The one in my skoda regularly tells me i will get 600 miles to empty on a tank. Lucky if i get 500 and that really is running it down to fumes!

But they are exciting...as I said even the Golf didnt have one lol! I'm not expecting it to be accurate, just a novelty gadget haha. Brimmed it today though (60 litre tank) and its said 510 miles....doubt it'll do that! However I have averaged 42mpg so far...............apparently haha.
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2012, 03:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Haha, damn I wish I was Northern....oh wait... Big Grin

actually you do . . . . . . it's only south inclined poofters that go round papping themselves . . .it's non-existent up here . .Wink
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2012, 03:31 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(14-09-2012, 03:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Haha, damn I wish I was Northern....oh wait... Big Grin

actually you do . . . . . . it's only south inclined poofters that go round papping themselves . . .it's non-existent up here . .Wink

lol

Well, can't argue with that. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Exactly, this is my point. We eat iron and crap steel up here Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2012, 03:44 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Exactly, this is my point. We eat iron and crap steel up here Wink

Lmao
Thanks given by:
[Image: GolfBreaking2030_zps4dc119d7.jpg]

Lol....this is actually massive! Big Grin

Rinsing fuel though! Still averaging 42mpg according to the trip computer though, and the range thing has only lost 10miles in nearly 400, not so bad.

On another note, its started breaking, RIP golf. Confused

[Image: GolfBreaking2029_zps84c55d91.jpg]

And also looks like a headgasket leak on the golf as well, too much boost!.... Undecided

[Image: GolfBreaking2027_zps2a42135a.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Golfs are shit

/thread
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2012, 09:11 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Golfs are shit

/thread

This^

Although that being said...
I admit i have a soft spot for a friends Mk3 VR6 :/

Ill leave now.
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2012, 09:11 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Golfs are shit

/thread

So are focusses but you still bought one. Confused Tongue
Thanks given by:
Yes but it only took me 2.5 months to realise it and flog it before ploughing any money into it (aside from diesel money!)
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
Meh, but you also had other crap non 306s before that, with the fuel you must have put in the celica I reckon I've still spent less on golfs. Tongue

Honestly though, doing the turbo was a mistake, agreed, but I don't regret doing the rest of the mods tbh. Was fun while it lasted nd afterall, used it as my college project and gained the highest possible grade so its not all bad. Smile. If I'd had the money to buy a decent one (now I know this one was cheap for a reason!) and had the money to do other things, like a fast road clutch and decent suspension setup, I reckon it would've been a pretty good car tbf, each to thier own obviously though!
Thanks given by:
Say what?

I never had any 'other crap cars' as I don't make a habit of buying them. The Focus was perfectly good, the Mazda was amazing and the Celica was everything I wanted it to be.

Each car has suited my requirements every time, I only flogged the Focus to become 'debt-free' which is nice!

So are you still on the hunt for another 306 then?
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2012, 08:25 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: Say what?

I never had any 'other crap cars' as I don't make a habit of buying them. The Focus was perfectly good, the Mazda was amazing and the Celica was everything I wanted it to be.

Each car has suited my requirements every time, I only flogged the Focus to become 'debt-free' which is nice!

So are you still on the hunt for another 306 then?

Yes, and the Golf (sliver one) served its purpose perfectly for me as a cheap to run workhorse! Done over 11k in it at around 55mpg (wish Id mapped it for more in hindsight), towed the trailer everywhere, carried all sorts of shite around, and in that 11k the only thing that broke was a hole in the intercooler, which it was bought with anyway. My point being, Golf's aren't necesarily shit, depending on your situation. Smile

And on the hunt for a 306? Well, you'll have to wait and see. Wink ninja
Thanks given by:
VAG are shit. Just accept it.
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2012, 11:02 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: VAG are shit. Just accept it.

Nope. I agree certian aspects are, but like all cars they have thier pro's and cons. Smile
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2012, 01:03 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(23-09-2012, 11:02 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: VAG are shit. Just accept it.

Nope. I agree certian aspects are, but like all cars they have thier pro's and cons. Smile

You're wrong. Shit.
Thanks given by:
tom, i wouldnt own a vag, after seeing what my mate went thru with his A4, also the liam with his skoda, then theres you. with your golf thats now been broken for spares.
my next car id say will either be a ford, or a volvo c30
Thanks given by:
Tom VAGs are not reliable despite what people may think. I hate to say this and feel slightly gay for doing so but for reliability, procta is right with the ford. There boring and cheap but the engines are pretty bloody good tbh (same engines you will find in new pugs, citroens, minis and a select few 1 and 3 series)

and on a quick note, i also discovered there not very good at offroading this weekend...mainly getting them out of ditches. Now, not only is my front bumper f*cked, the clutch is also FUBAR.....and they say a hire/company car goes anywhere!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Lol, If you had an undertray, that won't still be there after offroading, lost mine a week before it died lol, despite the massive arch gap, there's sod all clearance under the front! Also I agree with the reliability thing, all cars are unreliable, unless they've had a very good previous life....but you can never know tbh, as said before, the blue golf has full vw service history and look what happened to that (although I will admit the 6k I owned it, it took some serious stick lol)! I still wouldn't say vags are all shit though! Infact I don't know of another car in that budget that does 60mpg with ease, cheap to tax and with a 45quid map and theoretically no further mods an extra 50bhp, plus the comfort and spec and stuff. I mean just look at the Toyota, cheap inside, not really high spec, not really comfortable, poor mpg for the power etc etc.

Also, procta, I had nothing but problems with 4 306s, that doesn't mean I wouldn't own another though. You really can't buy cars on the amount of problems other people have had with them, you'd never buy any car if that was the case lol. For example, my neighbour owns an EVO8, had tonnes of major problems like transfer box failing and has spent an extra 4k on it since buying it....but you can't tell me you wouldn't have one. Wink
Thanks given by:
mine does have an under tray....well did. now only has part of one.

Tom All VAGs ive driven/been in are boring, sound shit, and are generally underpowered for what they are.
toyotas are plastically, often look shit, are generally ugly but they are bullet proof. out of the two, i know what id own!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(23-09-2012, 06:33 PM)Niall Wrote: .....and they say a hire/company car goes anywhere!

More speed required Wink
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2012, 07:28 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(23-09-2012, 06:33 PM)Niall Wrote: .....and they say a hire/company car goes anywhere!

More speed required Wink

actually it was more braking required...ive split all the paint on the bumper...hope the lease company dont notice or im going to have a light wallet.....Was funny though seeing it beached with both front wheels off the ground and me and fiona trying to rock it out lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(23-09-2012, 07:28 PM)Niall Wrote: mine does have an under tray....well did. now only has part of one.

Tom All VAGs ive driven/been in are boring, sound shit, and are generally underpowered for what they are.
toyotas are plastically, often look shit, are generally ugly but they are bullet proof. out of the two, i know what id own!

I really wish someone else had driven my golf to back me up on this, it certainly wasn't underpowered. Wink

Agree they're boring but you cant have everything, and boring looks makes for a good sleeper.....plus all diesels sound shit, not just vag ones. Tongue

In all honesty, I do miss it, if I had the option, I'd take the golf over the Toyota every single day.
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2012, 07:22 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Also, procta, I had nothing but problems with 4 306s, that doesn't mean I wouldn't own another though. You really can't buy cars on the amount of problems other people have had with them, you'd never buy any car if that was the case lol. For example, my neighbour owns an EVO8, had tonnes of major problems like transfer box failing and has spent an extra 4k on it since buying it....but you can't tell me you wouldn't have one. Wink

tom, what i have heard about vags, when they go wrong they go wrong and are a very expencive to fix. my mate with his A4 spent well over 2.5k on repairs, another lad wound his golf up and f*cked the turbo and seized the engine, heard another story from a manager who had a mate who remapped an A4 and that poped its turbo,
funny thing is tom, i havent read anyone on here whos f*cked their turbos after a map, or spent well over 2.5k in repairing a 306, maybe that and more on upgrading it.
before i buy a car i look at the reviews and test drive a few cars,
i looked at the R25 derv as an upgrade to the rover metro i had,
thing with that was rover had gone bust so there was no way i was gonna spent 2.5k on a car thats value would have dropped like a rock,
ford focus was too expencive to buy at the time, also these had a good right up too.
nissan almera i looked at, yet again these are very expencive to fix when they go wrong too.
with my dad having a 405 then a 406, they were bomb proof so that gave pug the upper edge on the ones i have mentioned. the 306 happend to have the same running gear, came into budget and that was it. i searched for a good one and by christ the ones i have had id own them again and again.
also evos dont do nothing for me, iam more into the cosworths and sleepers.
old school and unsuspecting is the way to go!
Thanks given by: