Forged HDI rods??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forged HDI rods??
Hi guys just wondering if anyone can help me as im just wondering if these are the correct HDi rods they are out of a 306 2.0 HDI my mechanic broke a car and gave me them i have no standard XUD ones to compare with but have some pics with serial numbers etc

Also they have shells in with slight wear and jsut wondering if i coudl reuse them or not??

Cheers CJ

[Image: 20120905_145924.jpg]

[Image: 20120905_145929.jpg]

[Image: 20120905_150018-1.jpg]

CJ
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Get some better photos of those shells CJ, the rods look fine to use, those shells look fine in places, but iffy in others
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Im on my dinner soon so will take the pistons off and then take better pics of all shells, do you need to see them off the rods?

Cheers for your help Dave
Looking at starting the build soon Smile
Thanks given by:
Nah dont take them out, its just the inner parts that you can see just some close up ones, what does the surface feel like to the touch.
Get it done mate, looking forward to seeing some interesting photos for this build! Wink
Thanks given by:
okay pal,
Well this build is just going to be a HDi rod build tbh then when i have a engine i have a bit of trust in i will be starting the 2.1 crank build Smile
Thanks given by:
[Image: 20120906_123643.jpg]

[Image: 20120906_123621.jpg]

[Image: 20120906_123613.jpg]

there you go dave they are all really smooth just the one that looks rather worn can feel slight roughness but my fingertips arent much good when feelin texture of stuff lol

Now i do have a full set of shells for XUD rods which are less than 12month old to come out of another block yet but unsure if they are up to the same standards as DW ones??
Thanks given by:
They should be reet Big Grin Looks like theres been crap in the oil before causing the scores, as long as its not gone through the sputtered layer should be ok, its only in the centre not right across the breadth I would risk it on mine anyway. Shells never seem to be an issue on these motors.
Thanks given by:
Yeah wicked Dave i thought that but wanted to just check ive heard a few people including Darren and yourself mention in the past the rods tend to bend or go rather than the shells Smile buzzin i can get this together sooner than i thought rather than having to 'SHELL' out for some new ones haha

Will probably throw a thread up for engine build for others to get an idea how easy it actually is to do Smile for just HDi rod build for now anyway lol
Thanks given by:
lol that pun was literally face desk worthy bahahahaha, you seen how bent the hdi rods I pulled were, and the shells were only slightly more worn on one side, so even with the torsional stress on them they were still ok.... yeh make sure you put up a thread, whats your setup gonna be, 11mm/td04?
Thanks given by:
hahaha i know had to get it in there lol

Eerrmmm not too sure wether to run an 11mm yet i have a spare 9mm and a transit 11mm ready to build one but not too familiar with pumps yet but to be honest the 9mm seems to have plenty of fuel maybe just try bigger DVS and see how we go

yeah i seen the rods was like :O crazy that what caused that? any idea i no others say static/dynamic timing kills these along with hydro and not rpms (pushed her to 5500 other night racing a VXR was fun)

Looking at a gas flowed head maybe bigger valves, TD04 is on but may have some work done on it as a friend has started at a turbo shop looking into waqys of making it spool quicker but will more than likely get another as they are peanuts and try on that.

Just in the process of getting Brembo refurb kit and rebuilding them and getting braided lines and spacer kit etc and MC of GTi6 want brakes working mint before any more mods yet haha
Thanks given by:
Could you take a photo of the tops of the pistons?, just for my own reference really... I've a feeling they may be different pistons....
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
[Image: 20120906_131900.jpg]

here you go Ruan
Thanks given by:
The rods are different to mine, mine have DW10 printed on the side where yours are scribed
Thanks given by:
Just been onto mechanic they arnt out of a 306 HDI but a Citroen with a DW10 engine he thinks hmmmm wondering if they are rigth now he cant remember engine code of top of his head as had these sat here for a while he thinks something like RHY but hes pretty damn sure its a DW10 engine
Thanks given by:
Only thing I'm thinking is that they may be from the dw10bted4 (from the bted written on the side of the rod?) are from the RHR engine (136 Siemens managed)

These engines have 2 types of rods fitted. part no 60390 are shared with the xud9 where as 603a6 arnt.

All the dw10 engines run the same rod sizes, but as said above, some use the same rods as the xud anyway so no upgrade
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ahh i see so how would i find out if these are forged or not lol confused now haha
Thanks given by:
ALL XUD9 and DW10 conrods are "forged"... They just have a weakness seemingly around the little end area - if you look at the wrist of a XUD9 vs a HDi conrod, you'll see that it actually goes smaller underneath the pin on an XUD9, whereas a HDi is almost straight downwards, there's just a lot more meat there...

Shame they still snap lol... The cranks and rods are forged, the pistons, however are not...

I personally rekon they're out of a Citroen van, they might be out of a 2.2 8v, rare as shit, but they defo won't fit... I can't understadnd how there's "BTED" on them, there's no "BTED" 8v other than the 2.2 8v... If they are 2.0 rods, then feck knows, mishmash of parts has happened...

On another note, if you're putting in those rods, I'd personally change the shells... They really are scored up... I know it's another £100, but if you're wanting something reliable, then it's worth it IMHO... I would want to change those... Me and Dave often have these discussions lol.... Also the scoring is what also leads me to believe they are from a 16v, the 16vs have horrible problems where if the oil is neglected, they just eat themselves VERY quickly, you look at almost any 16v engine that's been used hard, it'll be scored up.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
There not 16v pistons tho?
Thanks given by:
Hahaha as Ruan says, we often have heated arguments about these things.... im well pikey and risk everything (though I've never had shell issues! Wink they are over-engineered), but if you're getting it balanced/doing the whole job properly, you might aswell go the extra £100 for some new shells to make it an almost brand new bottom end... purely for piece of mind, I just never deem it necessary for me because my point of view is skewed somewhat......

First off make sure they will fit though!
Thanks given by:
They definitely look like ones out of a 16v to me... The fact they've got BTED on says they are...

Hence the 2.2 8v would make more sense...
Thanks given by:
Im going to weigh them up when i take the old ones out of new block think i may go for shells, which are best XUD or HDi or does it matter? Spoke to mechanic last night and he said its definitly 2.0 HDi engine just can remember what he took it out of was a taxi he thinks But shall see
Thanks given by:
You cannot put xud9 ones in hdi rods... Notch is the opposite way round... HDis are equivalent to Glyco sputter bearings tbh! about the best money can buy...
Thanks given by:
I got some hdi shells for £54 from a local engine shop. So have a look around if your going to pay around £100!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wicked Thanks for that Ben, Cheers ruan
Thanks given by:
My hdi shells are costing 96 from an engine shop, could of got cheaper ones though, but don't like getting cheapest parts all the time..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Theyer definitely not 16v pistons, theyer the mickey mouse (mickeys face is in the crown) DW 8V ones 100%

DW10 TD is the 306 HDi 90
DW10 ATED is the HDi 110
DW10 BTED is the 16v HDi 136 thats used in all the pugs and many fords too.

So f*ck knows why theyer stamped BTED

It would have to be a DW12 to be a 2.2 lump

You definitely want new shells on there mate cos rod 3 is worn.
Thanks given by:
Cheers Dum Dum where did you find that out? So are these going to be a better option than the ones in my D8a block

Cheers
Thanks given by:
I know an awful lot about the internals of a DW10 lump, well any XU based engine really.

Just check theyer the same length as the ones in your block and if they are then yes
Thanks given by:
Im just guessing here but if they are for a 136 surely in hindsight be the better of them lol

I will have to have a measure up then when i start strippin the xud block
Thanks given by:
theyer probably all the same rods mate.

check the part numbers on service box.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FORGED XUD - new oil pump? dr_jekyll 2 1,265 30-01-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Forged Xud vs M-HDI pugtk 15 5,348 28-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Last Post: darrenjlobb