Been offered a swap....opinions needed!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been offered a swap....opinions needed!
Right, as some of you are aware, I have my grandfather's Sierra up for sale for £350ono. Is on disability tax and MOT'd til August 11th (so will have no T+T when sold pretty much). I have had a guy get in touch who has offered me a swap for a mk2 Golf....and I'm torn as what to do. These are pics:

[Image: cf2281d6.jpg]

[Image: 92fff90a.jpg]

Now this Golf also has no T+T and sounds like it would need some welding and various other bits for the MOT. Do you think I could get my money back (and then some) swapping the sierra and then breaking the Golf? Or do you think it would be a bit too tight and I'm just better off selling the Sierra?

Muchos Gracias xxx
[Image: 43f2473c.jpg]
Thanks given by:
No, No, No.

Wheels are the only good thing about that car!
Thanks given by:
That golfs awful....doesn't even look good for breaking imo!
Thanks given by:
It's painted matt black, but apparently is generally quite solid, runs fine, had new silvertop battery. Yeah I agree the wheels are the most valuable part, but combining that, some of the other parts and then weighing the shell in, figured I could easily get the money back on it.....ORRR if it's not too bad I would even look at MOTing it and then selling it.....just seems like a bit of a risk lol

EDIT:

Wheels are 8j on the fronts and 9j on the rears....4x100
Thanks given by:
It's Matt black so no one will want the panels....

I don't Like the wheels but I suppose someone would.......apart from that, what's worth selling from an old mk2?

Definitely not worth mot'ing.
Thanks given by:
Hm, just figured the wheels, smooth grill, smooth boot and the engine would probably recoup most of the money back...think I may leave it
Thanks given by:
Knowing mk2s, if the shell is GENUINELY solid then you might get your money back, but it's a risk. Just sell the Sierra, trust me, someone on there will want it Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
sell the sierra, that mk2 looks like a complete shitter
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Apart from the bonnet, I think that mk2 looks win! Exactly what I'd do too a mk2. And I've always wanted one as a project for a vr6........ Tongue
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
swap it mot the golf! just paint the bonnet black aswell though
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
i quite like the bonnet.... Nospeak
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
(02-08-2012, 08:24 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It's Matt black so no one will want the panels....

I don't Like the wheels but I suppose someone would.......apart from that, what's worth selling from an old mk2?

Everything you've said in this thread is bollocks.

If the panels are solid, of course people will want them. Rot is becoming an issue now and they'd most likely need paint anyway.

The wheels are sweet and valuable, and there's a lot worth selling. If it doesn't need much it IS worth putting an MOT on it. The mk2 is very desirable, depending what engine it is it'd be a good first car.

You'd need to see it really... see how bad the rot is. But it'd probably be close, so if you can get that much for the Ford then do that.
Thanks given by:
A rust-free mk2 shell is worth a lot Wink
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2012, 12:19 PM)Curt Wrote:
(02-08-2012, 08:24 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It's Matt black so no one will want the panels....

Everything you've said in this thread is bollocks.

If the panels are solid, of course people will want them. Rot is becoming an issue now and they'd most likely need paint anyway.

The wheels are sweet and valuable, and there's a lot worth selling. If it doesn't need much it IS worth putting an MOT on it. The mk2 is very desirable, depending what engine it is it'd be a good first car.

You'd need to see it really... see how bad the rot is. But it'd probably be close, so if you can get that much for the Ford then do that.

Definatley agree with this. Don't replacement panels from dealer or pattern parts normally come in Matt black Tongue if the panels are solid, they will be well sought after, as said must are rusty/creased/dented.
Thanks given by:
How is it rust free if it needs welding for the MOT??

I disagree Curt, I and the majority of people would much rather pay for body parts in the right colour, to save more expense of having them sprayed.

I can't see much worth selling on it.....what do you think is worth money from it, its not even a high spec one is it?

And someone over the other side said £300 for those wheels?? Lol.......pretty sure theyre not worth that. The tyres dont even fit. Rolleyes

Plus, as we all know, breaking cars is a pita, takes ages, needs storage space, and you need local buyers for the larger parts.......I can't see any money in that golf, but feel free to prove me wrong.
Thanks given by:
Panels in the right colour won't gone along often on these cars and can prove difficult. Those wheels easily worth 200+ not sure on 300 but as they are in the "scene" then someone on retrorides on stancenation would snap them up. Even then gunna break even if you sell a few bits and scrap the shell
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2012, 12:41 PM)Matt Wrote: Panels in the right colour won't gone along often on these cars and can prove difficult. Those wheels easily worth 200+ not sure on 300 but as they are in the "scene" then someone on retrorides on stancenation would snap them up. Even then gunna break even if you sell a few bits and scrap the shell

Are scene kids really that gullible? Undecided

But anyway, whats the point in breaking even.........he might aswell just sell the Ford lol.
Thanks given by:
no swap keep the golf, they are f*cking cool! especially on those wheels, shame they have no power though ...

I think I need an auto respond to you tom :
'you are wrong!'
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
Do you understand the scene atall Tom? It's all about banded steels, and at 4 x 100 they will be snapped up a treat as that's the in thing to have!
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2012, 12:51 PM)Matt Wrote: Do you understand the scene atall Tom? It's all about banded steels, and at 4 x 100 they will be snapped up a treat as that's the in thing to have!

It looks shit. Call it 'scene' and people seem to throw money at it!! Doh
Thanks given by:
Exactly! That's why the wheels will sell for good money! As they are scene wheels people go mad!
Thanks given by:
Yeah, those wheels are worth almost the value of the Sierra alone. I'd want them if I had something to bolt them to.

It's not going to need the panels welding for the MOT Tom, think it through. It most likely needs the sills welding, possibly floor pan.

Good luck finding good condition, correct colour mk2 panels that don't need any paint - there's usually a reason they're getting broken. That idea is great in theory, but finding panels for a mk4 is going to be a damn sight easier than a 25 year old car.

There's plenty on it, the whole point is that parts get more desirable as they get older and rarer - demand and supply.

Point is, you know nothing about this subject... So stop saying everyone is wrong. Yes it's just my opinion, as it is yours. Difference is, I've owned 8 mk2's previously.

Also, I think the car looks cool as f*ck. If Craig doesn't want it I may have to ask for the details... NO, no more cars.
Thanks given by:
Do it curt, buy it, fix it, sell it too me Tongue
Thanks given by:
Tom, You need to look beyond your OE+ bubble sometimes.

Seems a decent deal to me, provided as said its not hiding any major issues. Matt black's always FTW. The tyres are too big IMO though and it could go lower. If its got a small engine someone will have it as a cool first car.
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2012, 02:50 PM)Pete Wrote: Tom, You need to look beyond your OE+ bubble sometimes.

OE+? It's just OE as far as I can see...
Thanks given by:
its a bucket of shit; leave it with the person who owns it, walk away and stay at home until you come to your senses.
Thanks given by:
Swap it - if the pannels are straight and rust free you'll easily get your money back with them and the wheels.

Don't forget that this isn't the tight arse 'i want everything for nothing' 306 market you are looking at here. The MK2s are a collectors car so people will be willing to pay a premiem for parts providing they are good condition plus I think it looks pretty sweet as it is.
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2012, 04:54 PM)daddyfixit Wrote: its a bucket of shit; leave it with the person who owns it, walk away and stay at home until you come to your senses.

How do you know that? Have you seen it?
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't touch it personally, even if the panels and wheels are worth anything do you really want to f*ck around with breaking a car and having a shell kicking around on your drive just to get a few hundred quid?

Looks like a shed, god knows how much it could need doing for a MOT + £120 or whatever it is for a years tax.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
swap it, do it up, keep it . . .you know you wanna . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Been offered a car without an MOT, need advice jay8086 13 3,899 27-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Last Post: jay8086
  been offered a bosch joe2 3 1,085 12-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Last Post: karl1989
  Just been offered a gti-6... RJDubya 17 2,678 18-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Last Post: RJDubya