Just been offered a gti-6...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just been offered a gti-6...
As the title suggests I've just been offered a Ph1 Gti-6 . It's not in the best condition, 140000 miles, a very poor spray job in matt black, but some good additions.

It's had a full cage fitted, bucket seats, it's stripped and lowered, I'm just not sure what I should do. Ideally I'd buy it to use for track days and hill climbs, keeping it road legal but I can't justify the expense right now because I'm unemployed, although I could remove parts to fit onto my ph2 dturbo and sell other parts on.

What would you do?
Thanks given by:
how much for?
what service history?
Cambelt etc?
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
£300, no service history to speak of, cambelt done about 3 years ago and would be done straight away if I got it

Trouble is I don't know much about the engines, reliability etc
Thanks given by:
For 300, buy it and worst case, strip it. Engine would go for £150 so thats half off your money back and sounds like its got a few mods that could make some money!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
It'd make 130 in scrap, so easily make your money back.... But its just if you can be arsed... I know I couldn't!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
yeh really we have to know what its going to cost or how can we possibly tell if its worth it.

If its 100 do it.
If its £1000000 dont do it.
Thanks given by:
From what the current owner has told me it needs a new battery, 1 front indicator lense, the bumper straightening and a window motor. Not a hell of a lot.

On the other hand I know the history of my turbo and would like to do some mods on it, this would provide new suspension, seats, cage, cyclones, uprated brakes and some other parts, could then make some money back selling on the engine, panels etc...

Just undecided, never driven a gti-6...
Thanks given by:
we still havent got a price!
Thanks given by:
300 for the car, maybe 200 in parts to get back on the road at a guess, might find more stuff that needs attention when I go for a closer look.
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2012, 05:43 PM)SRowell Wrote: we still havent got a price!

Read the thread well there Sam!

At that money you can't really go wrong, see what it needs to go back on the road and if it's too much strip it.

Wouldn't worry too much about mileage, mine's on over 155k now, one of the most reliable cars I've owned
Thanks given by:
Food for thought anyway, will go for a look and make sure there's nothing too major.
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2012, 05:50 PM)Curt Wrote:
(18-12-2012, 05:43 PM)SRowell Wrote: we still havent got a price!

Read the thread well there Sam!

At that money you can't really go wrong, see what it needs to go back on the road and if it's too much strip it.

Wouldn't worry too much about mileage, mine's on over 155k now, one of the most reliable cars I've owned

FYI - (This post was last modified: Today 06:01 PM by RJDubya.)

so there wasnt a price! TMI

yeh for £300 seems like a good buy. At the very least you can scrap the car and keep the seats and cage!
Thanks given by:
There was definitely a price before you asked the 2nd time, that's why I said it lol
Thanks given by:
Yep depending on what cage you should see £300 back on just that, so it's a win win in my book
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dependant on cage and seats etc its worth it in bits
Thanks given by:
Buy it . Well worth the money. Buy and ponder on it.

Worse case. Sell the seats and scrap it = money back.

But before you scrap it. Take off

Rear beam
Brakes
Master cylinder
Front ARB
Front shocks
Wheels

Boom youv got £300+ worth of upgraded parts, youd be stupid not to IMO

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
If you decide you don't want it location depending drop me a pm I'm interested :p

Thanks given by:
(18-12-2012, 06:33 PM)puglove Wrote: Buy it . Well worth the money. Buy and ponder on it.

Worse case. Sell the seats and scrap it = money back.

But before you scrap it. Take off

Rear beam
Brakes
Master cylinder
Front ARB
Front shocks
Wheels

Boom youv got £300+ worth of upgraded parts, youd be stupid not to IMO

Exactly my thoughts, will see what out looks like to see of it's worth going back on the road, of not that's a load of parts for my dtub and some bits for sale after. Any other bits good as upgrade parts?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Been offered a car without an MOT, need advice jay8086 13 3,904 27-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Last Post: jay8086
  been offered a bosch joe2 3 1,085 12-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Last Post: karl1989
  Chizfab wheels stolen, reward offered cwspellowe 7 2,146 29-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Tyronnster