Swapping Beams

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swapping Beams
I've purchased a spares/repair 1.9DTurbo which has a lowered beam and a knackered hand brake.

Is it nice and easy to just swap the whole beam over and keep my handbrake cable?

I'm not sure of the condition of either of the beams themselves or the drums either.

Perhaps someone could give me some advice on what to check before I make a decision such as how to check the condition of the brakes, handbrake and beams themselves?

Help appreciated as always.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
So you're wanting to put the lowered beam on yours? And you currently have a drum beam? If so then we can just swap the beam and then swap the shoes/drums/cables
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It's a really easy job, although a lot easier if you've got someone to help, purely due to the weight of the buggers.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Pull the trailing arms out and check the bearing, it will be pretty obv if they are shagged

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Yeah basically I want to keep my brakes and cables but want to lower the back and thought this might be the easiest option.

Also can I swap the lowered front over or would it just be easiest to swap the springs over? Perhaps someone can link me to some appropriate spring compressors? Smile
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
If the struts are fine, then just straight swap them, no f*cking about then Smile
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As connor says, if the struts are fine straight swap them, it will save a fair bit of time

Right, basicaly if you knock the trailing arm off you should see somthing like this, see how the silver tube is off center? well it shouldnt be, if either off your beams are like this the bearing is f*cked,

The one id be checking is the one on the lowered beam as its more likly, obv this pic is an extream case, the bearing may be gone but not as visualy obv. so get your tape out, also you do not need to knock the trailing arms right off like this one to check them.

Hope this helps

[Image: zx_beam-rear-knackered.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Cheers puglove really helps.

Connor the struts have 247's on not 266's like we fitted to my current ones.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Good stuff Big Grin

I take it the struts have hubs on aswell then? if so knock the hubs off the just fit the shock, it isnt worth the effort taking the hubs off then having to swap brakes disc ect

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Swapping reluctor ring on drums Petebob 6 1,731 28-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Petebob
  Swapping to a disc beam Matt 18 2,802 30-03-2014, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Matt
  'Cheap' Refubrished Beams Toms306 17 4,143 26-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Martin306