locktight and wheel bolts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
locktight and wheel bolts
I never used to tourqe my wheel bolt but when I put spaces on I thought I better start. Today was the second time they have come loose due to the heat of the brakes. I'm now going to locktight them in. Will it be ok with the heat?
Thanks given by:
Surely bolts shouldn't come loose due to heat from the brakes?
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
probably down to crap extended bolts stretching
Thanks given by:
if this was the case then everyones nuts would be loose.

mtfu and put some decent force on the brace youth.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2012, 07:44 PM)kingy Wrote: if this was the case then everyones nuts would be loose.

Too tight and they will snap if they are weak longer bolts.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2012, 07:58 PM)Ricky Wrote:
(25-07-2012, 07:44 PM)kingy Wrote: if this was the case then everyones nuts would be loose.

get stronger bolts then
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2012, 08:07 PM)kingy Wrote:
(25-07-2012, 07:58 PM)Ricky Wrote:

get stronger bolts then

Yeah.
what size spacers you using?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
to be on the safe side either get new bolts or what i would do is buy the proper hubcentric bolt to hub then bolt to spacer type. much safer imo.
Thanks given by:
there hub centric spacers, i would never driver a car longer bolts. Iv had it happen with 205 alloys so the spacers and bolts are not to blame, i know its the heat as it happens after stupid break temperatures, iv had the alloys too hot to touch and the paint has now got fingerprints in it
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2012, 08:18 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: there hub centric spacers, i would never driver a car longer bolts. Iv had it happen with 205 alloys so the spacers and bolts are not to blame, i know its the heat as it happens after stupid break temperatures, iv had the alloys too hot to touch and the paint has now got fingerprints in it

no idea then mate. i still say its the bolts though.
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2012, 08:18 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: there hub centric spacers, i would never driver a car longer bolts. Iv had it happen with 205 alloys so the spacers and bolts are not to blame, i know its the heat as it happens after stupid break temperatures, iv had the alloys too hot to touch and the paint has now got fingerprints in it

Sure you wheel bearings are ok? Remember a car of ours, the bearing had gone, wheel would scald you with the quickest touch.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Could still be the thread in the spacers. You don't see track cars with wheels falling off due to bolts working loose because of heat.
If that where the case then I'd check the bolts bolting the spacer to the hub as they'd be even hotter there for even looser...
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:

Ok so if its the heat why are the bolts holding the spacers on still tight if thats the case? because they are bolted though the brake disc so will get hotter!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Iv not noticed the bearings going, they have both been done in the last 50k. if it happens again. il get some cap screws and put them in from the inside and put double nuts on the outside
Thanks given by:
Most spacers don't have thread on them. Make sure the bolts are long enough and go far enough into hub. I got some that went all the way through and even poked out the back of the hub a small amount.

I now run stud and nut conversions from JJC rally on eBay, Grayston I believe.

These I have locited into the hub and just torque up the nuts. If you do locite them in please becareful as there are different grades of locite, use the wrong one and you won't get them out the hub.
Thanks given by:
used medium strength. im not 100%, but after extended brake use, park the car for the day then after about 10 miles the wheels start rattling. the done up to 85Nm but that feels loose to me
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2012, 08:34 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: Most spacers don't have thread on them. Make sure the bolts are long enough and go far enough into hub. I got some that went all the way through and even poked out the back of the hub a small amount.

I now run stud and nut conversions from JJC rally on eBay, Grayston I believe.

These I have locited into the hub and just torque up the nuts. If you do locite them in please becareful as there are different grades of locite, use the wrong one and you won't get them out the hub.

Now read the thread..........................he has hubcentric spacers that bolt to the hub, you then bolt the wheel to the spacer Wink

Thats how I read his post anyway Undecided
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Thats how i wrote it too, Wink
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2012, 09:15 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: Thats how i wrote it too, Wink

Oh good i'm not going nuts Tongue

Personally I would do them up a bit tighter! Don't go f*cking nuts and strip the threads but you know what I mean Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alloy Wheel Bolts rdstars 2 1,344 16-03-2017, 05:01 PM
Last Post: rdstars
  Wheel bolts PugRory 11 2,679 09-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Last Post: PugRory
  c5 steel/alloy wheel bolts Poodle 8 2,632 20-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Poodle