Fitted Bosch :) can you get more than 20psi on a K14??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitted Bosch :) can you get more than 20psi on a K14??
Hi guys as title says, ive fitted my bosch from the blaze gov modded and tuned, but had a t2 with mbc on blaze, this one is smoking a lot on boost

Just wondering if i were to cut the little metal pipe on the K14 and fit mbc until td04 is ready will i be able to get decent boost?? ie over 24psi which is what my t2 ran with mbc

If not il have to turn pump down as read up a lot of coal on boost isnt healthy high egt's irrc and dont want to blow anythin up yet

Cheers

CJ
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Iirc the k14 is the smaller of the kkk turbos so it may run out of puff higher up the rev band but you should be able to put the mbc on it, just cut the metal pipe as you said.
Not sure on peek boost on those mind
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Not worth the hassle, just fit the big turbo
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2012, 07:47 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Iirc the k14 is the smaller of the kkk turbos so it may run out of puff higher up the rev band but you should be able to put the mbc on it, just cut the metal pipe as you said.

Wrong way round, K14 is the bigger one, they are pretty much the same as a T2 and shares the same manifold, its the K03 thats smaller. ruan ran his at about 29psi for ages so yes to answer the OP's question Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
read my sig lol . . . . . .yes in short . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2012, 08:03 PM)mark_airey Wrote:
(14-07-2012, 07:47 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Iirc the k14 is the smaller of the kkk turbos so it may run out of puff higher up the rev band but you should be able to put the mbc on it, just cut the metal pipe as you said.

Wrong way round, K14 is the bigger one, they are pretty much the same as a T2 and shares the same manifold, its the K03 thats smaller. ruan ran his at about 29psi for ages so yes to answer the OP's question Smile

Allways get the f***ers mixed up! The thought was there anyway!!! Lol!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
K14s are WAY underrated turbos... As long as you put an MBC on them...

I made 146hp on a standard K14 with modified pump - everything else standard...

IMHO the best standard turbo if you're looking for power - they have a reputation for being unreliable and weak, however I've shat T2s, K03s, GT15s, my GT20V also, but never shat a K14...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ran my k14 at 30psi for months... Eventually it gave up but it definitely boosts more than 20.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
I ran mine with 30 psi for ages until I whacked it right up to well beyond that went well for 3 days then the compressor wheel shat itself out the exhaust Smile
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Sweet thanks for the replys guys will whack mbc on tomoz just until get TD04 plates made up, need to have a good look as when tryin to locate this pipe noticed the turbo and back of block covered in oil think return seal may have gone on turbo possibly or bacl of rocker

Will let you know how i get on n thanks again Smile

CJ
Thanks given by:
Right well fitted the mbc and cant really notice a difference think the wastegates opening as drops boost pretty much as soon as it peaks grrr

Turned fuelling down a tad and ran better less on boost smoke but still topping out at 20psi

Think gonna have to get td04 sorted asap
Thanks given by:
I think you need more fuel...
Thanks given by:
Right well fitted the mbc and cant really notice a difference think the wastegates opening as drops boost pretty much as soon as it peaks grrr

Turned fuelling down a tad and ran better less on boost smoke but still topping out at 20psi

Think gonna have to get td04 sorted asap
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2012, 08:59 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: Think gonna have to get td04 sorted asap

Or thoroughly check for boost leaks.................as you will just have the same problem again!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
(16-07-2012, 08:00 AM)mark_airey Wrote:
(15-07-2012, 08:59 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: Think gonna have to get td04 sorted asap

Or fix your boost leak.................as you will just have the same problem again!

Where could it be leaking from, i know the adaptor where the d seal usually sits has a slight oil stain around it but really dont think its leaking i think the wastegate is creeping open but could be wrong theres now hissing from anywhere to give a leak away
Thanks given by:
I could be leaking from any join or connection in the pipework between the turbo and the head...........likely suspects are inlet manifold gasket and adaptor Smile

I could be the wastegate creeping open I suppose, but there seems to be a lot of people using that as an excuse at the moment Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
(16-07-2012, 08:28 AM)mark_airey Wrote: I could be leaking from any join or connection in the pipework between the turbo and the head...........likely suspects are inlet manifold gasket and adaptor Smile

I could be the wastegate creeping open I suppose, but there seems to be a lot of people using that as an excuse at the moment Tongue

Cheers pal will have a closer look and reseal the top adaptor the manifold could explain how the rear of block and bulkhead has a light film of oil will get a new gasket this week Smile

my reason for thinking the wastegate is opening is it wont hold boost and drops rather quickly as had boost leak in past and gradually drops but this plummets on the guage

CJ
Thanks given by:
[quote='Ruan' pid='103517' dateline='1342301490']

whats an MBC?
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2012, 07:05 PM)Ryan@306 Wrote: [quote='Ruan' pid='103517' dateline='1342301490']

whats an MBC?

Manual Boost Controller . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2012, 07:09 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(16-07-2012, 07:05 PM)Ryan@306 Wrote: [quote='Ruan' pid='103517' dateline='1342301490']

whats an MBC?

Manual Boost Controller . .Smile

aha Smile cheers mate learning every day
Thanks given by:
Yeah i think i now have the combination of a boost leak and wastegate opening but unsure

Does anyone have any tips for finding a boost leak? Cant hear it coming from engine with engine noise and obviously its not going to boost much while sat still

Any help would be great ta

Td04 halfway there too, suppose than would find the boost leak haha
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2012, 07:46 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: Yeah i think i now have the combination of a boost leak and wastegate opening but unsure

Does anyone have any tips for finding a boost leak? Cant hear it coming from engine with engine noise and obviously its not going to boost much while sat still

Any help would be great ta

Td04 halfway there too, suppose than would find the boost leak haha
use fairy liquid and look for the bubbles lol.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Right am at wits end now haha, have checked with some leak detector that had at work works a treat on compressed air leaks but cant find any on the pipework, the adaptor seems to have a oil patch around it so got some gasket seal to reseal that but only other thing i can think of is a combination of manifold leaking and wastegate creep,

as noticed its less smokey and holds a bit of boost now and then, and pulls really well the odd occasion.

think plan of action is weld wastegate on T2 and put new gaskets on manifiolds and see how we go and hopefully problem solved, as the pump has had max fuel turned down a tad from what it was running on the blaze with the wastegate opening up and had hardly anysmoke but smokes like a bitch now and again on this motor.

if anyone has any ideas they are more than welcome before i find a nice wall to drive into and create a boost leak haha

CJ
Thanks given by:
I ran 23-24psi on a K14 no problem, it would have run more if not for the crappy Lucas pump meaning I couldn't increase fuelling enough to match without EPIC smoke...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Yeahh this ran 19 on lucas shot loads of snoke early on but with this it doesnt smoke at all until i hit about 3.5-4k then drops boost and belts shit loads of coal out, so can only think its manifold now lol

This could explain the oil slick all down rear bulkhead and block and a fair bit on the turbo lol
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2012, 08:28 AM)mark_airey Wrote: I could be the wastegate creeping open I suppose, but there seems to be a lot of people using that as an excuse at the moment Tongue
In the past on various turbos/cars Ive run engine killing boost and emp and never seen this 'phenomenon'
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2012, 01:47 PM)con67 Wrote:
(16-07-2012, 08:28 AM)mark_airey Wrote: I could be the wastegate creeping open I suppose, but there seems to be a lot of people using that as an excuse at the moment Tongue
In the past on various turbos/cars Ive run engine killing boost and emp and never seen this 'phenomenon'

I know im stumped but ive just had a look at the rear of block and rocker slightly weeping and can see where the manifold is oily and looks like the manifold is blowing from oil everywhere and id have though it would have usually jus ran down block not be blown everywhere wil get a new gasket n fit saturday n se how we go

Another reason for thinking its gasket is its a really wierd noise rather than your usual split hose if that makes sense lol

Cj
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2012, 06:38 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote:
(18-07-2012, 01:47 PM)con67 Wrote:

I know im stumped but ive just had a look at the rear of block and rocker slightly weeping and can see where the manifold is oily and looks like the manifold is blowing from oil everywhere and id have though it would have usually jus ran down block not be blown everywhere wil get a new gasket n fit saturday n se how we go

Another reason for thinking its gasket is its a really wierd noise rather than your usual split hose if that makes sense lol

Cj

I seem to have the same problem with my K03! Can only get like 17 max boost on lucas! I have slight oil around the gasket too!

This is a video of it stock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDkf-WcYe...ature=plcp
Thanks given by:
Right bit of an update im 99% sure its the manifold i had a quick nip up of bolts on back of block last night although couldnt get to them all and im making 22-23psi so going to change gaskets this weekend and should be job done!!

CJ
Thanks given by:
Heh. I'm running about 23psi on a K14 with no MBC fitted. It's a bit smokey too.

I really should refine it. I even have a bloody MBC sitting here! How difficult did you find fitting the MBC was?
[Image: MIRKxNP.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bosch pump years fitted Saloon306 10 2,123 24-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  bosch pump xud nw fitted pioneer DJ paddy 10 2,492 08-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Last Post: mr_fish
  Random jump from 12psi to 20psi after 1 quarter max fuel turn. Ollie 4 1,883 09-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Piggy