Homebrew

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homebrew
See, where you based, maybe you can meet someone whos making it and find out for real.
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 08:28 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: See, where you based, maybe you can meet someone whos making it and find out for real.

Odiham, a date with home brew cider sounds epic lol! Love a good drink!
Thanks given by:
I'm only about 30 mile from Oldham, I pass it going to Wigan, Salford, St Helen's, Warrington or Widnes for the rugby...

By the way lads, I took my first hydrometer sample of my lager, smelt like lager, looked like lager and it was 1.1% after 3 days which isn't bad, should turn out a decent 4-4.5% I reckon. As for the cider, the foam has does down but now it's bubbling every 10 seconds, decided to chuck a spoon of cinnamon in for a bit of extra flavour Smile
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Ill be the judge at FCS lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 09:59 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I'm only about 30 mile from Oldham, I pass it going to Wigan, Salford, St Helen's, Warrington or Widnes for the rugby...

By the way lads, I took my first hydrometer sample of my lager, smelt like lager, looked like lager and it was 1.1% after 3 days which isn't bad, should turn out a decent 4-4.5% I reckon. As for the cider, the foam has does down but now it's bubbling every 10 seconds, decided to chuck a spoon of cinnamon in for a bit of extra flavour Smile

Liam, it says odiham! Not Oldham, I'm near Basingstoke!
Thanks given by:
Oh right, should've read that more carefully lol
Thanks given by:
This is going to sound a bit daft but I'm not 100% sure how to use the hydrometer to test the % of the product.

Am I right in thinking I need to take one measurement at the start, and then one at the end?

If so, I presume both are taken in the same manner?

So I prepare my drink, then add the yeast last, stir it? Or leave it to fall naturally? Do I take a measurement now? Or before I add the yeast? To take a measurement just pour a small amount out in to a different container or just bung the hydrometer in to the demi-john?
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
i dont know how to do the volume with a hydrometer i guess its take the reading before and then after then some maths

i would also take the readings in a seperate pot as you dont want to add bugs to the big pot Wink

he he ive been and syphoned off the apple juice as it looks like its stopped bubbling
tastes just like scrumpy !
ive syphoned it into a second demi which ive airlocked and am letting it settle for a while before bottling,
and as for volume % it measured 6%

oh and ive picked up 4 Free demijohns now so i may start somthing different soon

Thanks given by:
So... what are you measuring yours with? Confused
Thanks given by:
im using a vinometer
it looks like a thermometer with a funal but it works on capilary action on the liquide in the open tube

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid...r&_sacat=0

copyed from here
http://www.hambletonbard.com/how-to-make...shine.html

You can check the alcohol content of your beer, wine or turbo yeast wash if you have a start reading and a current (or final) reading.

Example:

Start reading = 1075

Current reading = 998

The alcohol (by volume) is simply the number of fermented units (start-current) divided by 7.4.

Alcohol =

(1075-998) / 7.4 = 77 / 7.4 = 10.4 %

This is of course the final alcohol content if your brew has stopped fermenting. To find out if it has, simply check specific gravity with 1-2 days in between. If you have 998 (or whatever the value is) during several days your fermentation is over.

IMPORTANT: This fomula will only work if you do not add water, sugar or anything else during fermentation.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, I'll give it a go with the hydrometer and see, I'll do it after I've added the yeast I think. Was going to start 3 Demi-johns going tonight but realised I don't have a bottle brush to clean my Demi-johns out after I used them last time so can't do anything until I can find one Sad

EDIT: Scrap that, just read that some people do it before, some after. Only real reason to do it after is so that you can keep some separate to "satellite test" it.
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2012, 05:59 PM)burnmw Wrote: This is going to sound a bit daft but I'm not 100% sure how to use the hydrometer to test the % of the product.

Am I right in thinking I need to take one measurement at the start, and then one at the end?

If so, I presume both are taken in the same manner?

So I prepare my drink, then add the yeast last, stir it? Or leave it to fall naturally? Do I take a measurement now? Or before I add the yeast? To take a measurement just pour a small amount out in to a different container or just bung the hydrometer in to the demi-john?

You can't really go wrong with this mate. You can stir the yeast if you want, but it's fine to rest it on top. Take your OG (original gravity) read before you add the yeast, and do it in a seperate pot so you don't infect the beer, or alternatively sterilise the hydrometer. Really you need to sterilise everything that will touch the brew, either with a sterilising agent or just boiling water, so it doesn't go manky.

The foam and scum has gone down on mine after 2 days but now it's popping like mad, bubbling every 10 seconds and it looks just like scrumpy! Almost identical to yours cully. Gonna wait for it to stop, then bottle it for a couple of weeks with some sugar to carbonate and settle Wink

The beer is up to 1.9% and still fermenting Big Grin
Thanks given by:
just started a batch of wine, got to leave it for a month then check it and maybe leave it longer so its tucked away in the spare room,
so now got 4 gallons of booze brewing and 1 gallon done lol
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

106 Xud9 Conversion GtiD (2nd Engine Rebuild)
SOLD

Dan! Wrote:Want me to blow this one up for you aswel?
Thanks given by:
a quick vid of the wine after 2 hours
bubbling like mad !!
http://youtu.be/4g0ht9Bkzro
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

106 Xud9 Conversion GtiD (2nd Engine Rebuild)
SOLD

Dan! Wrote:Want me to blow this one up for you aswel?
Thanks given by:
Brewing kit arrived yesterday, I'll get it started next month...
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I quite fancy making something with some pineapple juice.
Thanks given by:
do some pineapple rum or vodka?

Same as you'd do with damsons or whatever...
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I'm thinking about making some Poitin, I've got my grandads recipe for it somewhere...

70% proof potato spirit Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2012, 07:48 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I'm thinking about making some Poitin, I've got my grandads recipe for it somewhere...

70% proof potato spirit Big Grin

O.O

DO IT!
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Just checked my lager for gravity, the OG was 1.038 and the gravity now is 1.013, by my maths that's about 3.4%. To be honest, I think it's done fermenting, so I'll check it again tomorrow and if the gravity hasn't changed I'll take that as the FG and bottle it Big Grin
Thanks given by:
back to my batch of apple juice cider
ive filtered for the last time now so its settling time before bottling
hydrometer says to bottle so im guessing fermentation has well stopped now
couldnt restist a taste

its very good nice! its dry and strong have remeaserd the %vol and its coming back as 12% today

im very impressed with it
and so is our window cleaner he had a taster

will be making more batch's of this as it is to my taste Smile

oh! and the double brewed orange is wrank! vial horrible it has finished brewing but maybe it needs time its one for the back of the shed
Thanks given by:
Looks good that Cully Smile

If anyone's looking for a source of cheap PET bottles, I've just bough 20 bottles of Asda smart price lemonade for £3.60 and emptied it all down the sink because it tastes like shite, 18p for a 2 litre bottle Wink
Thanks given by:
Christmas meet we just need to meet in a field with all this homebrew and well have a whale of a time.

Cully dont pour the orange away, either donate it to a local tramp or give it to your daughter for her next houseparty/sleepover/getting mash up in a play park session. Teenagers will drink anything alcoholic.
Thanks given by:
put some finnings in the orange and its dropped its cloudy look and is as clear as water!

oh and i started 2 more batchs of the cider as i think im going to likr that Big Grin
using the cheapest apple juice this time, looking at the lable the only differance is the cheaper has more sugar
took a hydrometer reading this time at the start
1.075 hydromiter predicts 12%

using the same recipy as the first batch
Thanks given by:
Well I've just kicked off 4 Demi-johns worth, one orange, one lemon, one raspberry syrup and one cherry syrup.

[Image: 1Ingredients.jpg]

Ingredients used:
5 oranges
6 lemons
1 raspberry syrup
1 cherry syrup
2Kg sugar

[Image: 2Equipment.jpg]

Equipment used:
4 Demi-johns
4 air-locks
1 set of scales
1 bowl for weighing sugar
1 measuring jug
1 teaspoon
Hydrometer
Sterilizer/cleaner

[Image: 4Syrups.jpg]

Syrups going in Big Grin

[Image: 5BeforeYeast.jpg]

After topping up with water (4l in each), but before yeast was added.

Then I took my hydrometer readings:
Raspberry: 1.026
Cherry: 1.022
Orange: 1.020
Lemon: 1.018

[Image: 6AfterYeast.jpg]

Finally, added the yeast and popped the air-locks in to place
Thanks given by:
will be interested in your orange and lemon see how it compares Wink

Thanks given by:
(11-08-2012, 03:42 PM)cully Wrote: will be interested in your orange and lemon see how it compares Wink

Me too, all of mine seem to have quite low SG's though Huh And to be honest, 2 hours later they really aren't doing too much, might have to see if I can find somewhere warmer to put them.
Thanks given by:
i wouldnt worry about it after two hours look again in the morning after the yeast has had a good chance to soak Wink

oh i might be cheating a bit as i start mine on a heat pad to get the temp up to start with as the water is cold and yeast dont like cold
you can see the aluminium heater under my two

Thanks given by:
Yup, noticed you were cheating, I mean, using a heat pad. Just that I don't have access to a heat pad!
Thanks given by:
Just bottled my cider, had a taste before I did and it does taste just like scrumpy! I used wine yeast so it smells a bit skunky but it tastes good. Asda are doing 1.5 litre cartons of apple juice for 50p just now Wink
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homebrew Tyronnster 8 2,589 11-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Last Post: cully
  project Homebrew Still cully 31 6,854 20-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Last Post: puglove