Breakdown Cover Options

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breakdown Cover Options
I'm after some opinions on breakdown cover.

I used to have AA when i had my DT and before i took my 6 off the road.

I had to use them twice and both times they were utterly tragic. Always got some third party contractor instead of the AA and always took hours upon hours.

They never listened when i told them they couldn't fix it by the side of the road, they always ignored me and it then took hours and hours to get a flatbed to tow the car away.

Now, I've been doing a lot of miles recently and although i don't have any concerns about the 6, it is, after all, french. Therefore it would probably be a good idea to be covered.

I didn't really want to go with the AA again, given my 2 previous poor experiences.

I'm thinking of my options, AA/RAC/Greenflag..?

The level of cover i want:
- Roadside assistance (comes as standard)
- A National recovery type thing. Where regardless of where i am, they will take me+car to wherever i want (I.e, back home, or my fathers) and not force me to a garage within 10miles or any of that crap.
- Cover my rather than the car, as it means i can help anyone else who needs it

Anyone got any opinions on where to go, who is decent? Price isn't a major factor as i'd rather not wait 6 hours to get home from a breakdown, if it was to happen.
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
I've had the same experiences with the AA. a fuel hose popped off the gti6 about 20 miles from home and the guy who came out, 4 hours later, in the freezing cold despite me saying I had a 10 month old baby with me and no heating due to the lack of fuel, didn't even have a jubilee clip in his van to fix the problem.

Then again when the estate broke down at the services, I told them on the phone it would need a tow and it was lowered, so they sent their regular van first who basically said "oh it's modified I can't do anything with that" (only mod to the engine being a FMIC) and sent for a flat bed, three hours later, and didn't even tell the contractor the car was low so we had to scavenge for blocks of wood etc to get the car up. Bit of communication would have been nice ffs.

Heard someone mention RAC have the Ferrari and Porsche contracts now so they may show a bit more mechanical sympathy, will be looking to them come renewal time
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've always had rac and been brillaint. Phone them up be with you inn45 mintues and they turn up in 10 really helpfull and liked to actually hve have a chat about the car and what I had done to it really friendly
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Been with the aa now for around 14 years never had a problem with em tbh, only ever had an aa truck turn up never a 3rd party, most time i have ever had to wait is an hour and that was when I was in the middle of nowhere, got a phone all from the bird many moons ago to say her 106 had broke and she had our 1st born in the car in torrentiall rain and winds, she phoned them and they said an hour, she was 20 mins from me so I jumped in the car by the time I got there the man was there pulling her shredded aux belt out, fitted one that was a bit too short! Sqweeled like a pig but got her home
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
sounds like a plan.

However i've just seen greenflag and they are very well priced! They have everything listed properly, ie stating within 10miles or not.

http://www.greenflag.com/breakdown-cover/recovery.html - From £40 gives me the lot!, i do worry they wont be as good.

I have also heard good things about RAC, when i used them when i had a hire car there were there within 10mins and the VAN they rocked up in allowed them to tow the car away (i figured the hire car company had some priority response or something, but i was impressed)

I'd rather pay more for RAC when i know the service i'll get is better, than cheap for a crap service. Pretty much as you were saying cwspellowe, last thing you want is crap service when your stranded, especially with child (thats quite shocking to be honest mate).

All i need to do is try and get a good introductory price Smile, might try and find an RAC man at the services, see if i can get a deal

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Green flag use local garages to come out to you

At least they used to
Thanks given by:
You need to specify you own a PH2 Diablo when you take out the cover. They will send no less than this as they fully appreciate the gay fail the car really is Wink

[Image: RAC.jpg]
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2012, 09:55 AM)Grant Wrote: You need to specify you own a PH2 Diablo when you take out the cover. They will send no less than this as they fully appreciate the gay fail the car really is Wink

[Image: RAC.jpg]

That and you need to tell them it's THE fooby taking out said policy so they can also bring appropriate footwear! As the cover is on the person not the car lol
Thanks given by:
I'm with rac and they have been epic when any of us have used it.
AA were total fail in my opinion. We got stuck at the side of the m20 once when the gearbox went on a mates shotty old siera. 3 hours they took and when the bloke turned up he said "oh it's probably just fuel starvation" (I was in the car with 2 mechanics...) and he was insistent it wasn't the box. Wanker.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
lmfao @ RAC Policy specifics.. ya bastards :p

i cant tell them that anyway, they wouldnt give me cover if i did!!!!

Thanks for the heads up on Greenflag, makes sense really at that price.

RAC it is Smile

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
I've used RAC twice now and the experience I had they were brilliant :-) rapid response nice bit of banter and really helpful :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ive never had a poilcy with AA, but my parents have, and they cancelled their policy after breaking down and being left at the roadside for nearly 4 hours waiting for the recovery truck. I HAVE had a policy with RAC, and whist i only really used it once, they too left us sat at the side of the road with ECU failure for 3 hours on xmas eve, they also seemed quite expensive for the service that we received (£30+ per month!).

I will be taking out a greenflag policy when im paid in a few days though....they seem really reasonable, and the reports ive heard from friends who are members makes them sound very good for the price! (£15 per month for full cover, minus european coverage).

GO GREENFLAG! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ha ha all these stories of horror about aa and I have never had a problem lol I must be special
Thanks given by:
this is something ive never thought of getting but reading this then i think im going to get some cover. afterall, it is a peugeot and i think its only a matter of time before my luck runs out. also its good to hear that rac are the best, saves me getting bit so to speak.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
My only worry is that ill pay out for cover, then will never use it, as i generally dont drive very far, so am always fairly local to home, and would usually ring one of my mates to come help me if i do break down....but since ive got the DT, i think it might be wise to have a breakdown policy as backup! Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I get full AA cover through my bank account, and the times I've had to use them, 3 run out of fuels and once to get my car towed home from work, the only long wait i had was when the AA van had broken down lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The RAC have been really good for me, I had to take it out 2 years ago on the side of the motorway when my exhaust departed the vehicle, within half an hour of phoning and signing up I was back on the road travelling home again.
I've had several more calls with them and they are always there within an hour, and I've had it towed on a flatbed which was then sent out and over within 25 minutes.

I've also used it whilst I've been a passenger in somebody else's car that has broken down and again the service was fantastic.

The engineers you get are also pretty decent, not just cocky twats driving a van with some tools and think they know it all (previous experience with Green Flag).
Thanks given by:
I've also got AA breakdown with my bank account. Pay £10 a month for it. And it's me that's covered. I get home start etc it's as good as a normal policy. Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Never really had any unless it came with my insurance last year was RAC cover this year it's Flux Rescue - can you tell who my insurance is with? lol
Thanks given by:
I took cover last week, £7 a month with rac, done.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Breakdown Cover Toms306 14 4,558 03-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Iceman299
  Best Breakdown Cover Eeyore 47 8,282 09-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Last Post: chylledapps
  Breakdown Cover? JTaylor2005 44 6,945 17-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005