SRowell's Stage 1 Diablo HDi Estate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SRowell's Stage 1 Diablo HDi Estate
(05-07-2014, 06:13 AM)Poodle Wrote: Is it really worth it...? I mean, this thing really is a shed, looks good, but the mechanicals are ruined... Confused

It's not that bad could easily get it all done in a couple of weekends.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2014, 06:13 AM)Poodle Wrote: Is it really worth it...? I mean, this thing really is a shed, looks good, but the mechanicals are ruined... Confused

Mechanically it's just beam, brake lines and wishbones isn't it?

Unless I'm missing something, they're knackered on most 306s these days! lol
Thanks given by:
I thought it had a few running problems and needed shocks and some steering gear too..?

I just meant it might be easier to find a relatively tidy estate and swap all the parts over is all, be less work and less costly in the long run I should have thought. Just a suggestion though. Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Shocks and steering are fine. Its just the bits i listed. Yeh its crap but its also cheap and i already own it.
Thanks given by:
Just seen this near you while browsing ebay... Stick your HDi in it from the diablo, stage 2 while the engines out.....power, economy and luxury cruising. Wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-406-EX...3f3783a4c4
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2014, 01:00 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Just seen this near you while browsing ebay... Stick your HDi in it from the diablo, stage 2 while the engines out.....power, economy and luxury cruising. Wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-406-EX...3f3783a4c4

Unfortunately I dont want a 406 D:

ive been stealing parts slowly but surely off this for the 1.8. Who knows if there will be anything left at all in a few months time. Ill be starting my job in southampton soon so maybe this will be resurrected!
Thanks given by:
After a year of it being illusive I have found the FMIC kit. Full 3" kit with all the mikalors etc. Not sure what to do with the car still but wouldnt take much to get it back on the road again.

[Image: IMG_20141003_221550_zpsodtjdrsb.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Do ittttt haha

Spend anywhere near as much on this as the 1.8 and it will fly Smile
Thanks given by:
Make a list of what it needs to be back on the road like you did for the 1.8 project. Work out the part costs etc and if it's worth it go for it. Might as well chuck the FMIC on as well and get it S2 mapped.

I'll give you a hand fixing it if I can have a drive on the S2 map, see if they really are worth it. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Beam - £40
Brake lines, - ?
Pads and Discs - £80
Drivers Side Wing - £15
Boost gauge tube and take off - £15

Shouldnt be too difficult. Just the rear beam thats the issue. yeh sure if you want to have a go fixing it be my guest. Can put a restricted stage 2 map on it.
Thanks given by:
Wishbones as well wasn't it?

Then tax and MOT...

Theres a GTi beam in Ipswich atm on ebay, no idea if its any good though!

Also, brake lines don't much, it's like £8 for a reel of brake pipe from Halfords.
Thanks given by:
Oh yeh definitely pbushes.
Thanks given by:
It may not have an MOT, front wings, grille, headlights or an interior... but it does now have a lovely set of roof bars! Big Grin

[Image: IMG_20141021_095028_zps8tliixxl.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20141021_095250_zps5ggih504.jpg]

Cheers Cully! x
Thanks given by:
(22-12-2012, 11:30 PM)SRowell Wrote: Also ive already got some 17" tyres... Just need some epic rims. Ideally £300 - 400 for a brand new staggered set. Once I leave Liverpool at Easter and never have to park on its foot high pavements Ill drop it 60mm. Ideally I want to get the front end the same height that the 1.8 was! Eventually Id like to get an air ride set up. A guy I work with has two beetles; one which is his drag beetle and the other has a narrowed beam and air ride. He says the whole airride settup cost him a few hundred and that doing it with a torsion bar was easier than springs D: Apparently range rover struts are the way forwards.

I originally looked into Citroen C5 suspension as they are height adjustable as standard. However they do take a long time to change height as its a hydraulic fluid setup which has to be pumped. Also apparently they dont have torsion bars so thats not helpful and also they use hydraulic spheres on each strut which looks like it will fowl on the bonnet of a 306 anyway. It was a brilliant thought and would have meant you could literally find a scrapped C5 and get hyrdaulics for less than £100 but sadly it looks like thats not possible! Sad

Anyway. At 11pm I was given a parcel by my parents as they didnt know what it was! Turned out to be the boost gauge holder I ordered at 6pm last night! That suspicious £5 delivery charge was definitely worth it! Pictures now! How it arrived and just a quick test fit in the car. A few interior pics of what I did over the last few days whilst tom was busy swapping brakes as well!

[Image: IMG_20121222_225357.jpg]

Everything I need now!
[Image: IMG_20121222_230726.jpg]

Diablo dash with the smoothed clock and some stickerbombing.
[Image: IMG_20121222_225928.jpg]

Test fitting along with my colour coded speedo surround and the lockwood gauges (that came with the car)
[Image: IMG_20121222_225856.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20121222_225846.jpg]

The boost gauge came from tom who got it from Jordan iirc and I also bought his 700W amp off him. Brilliant condition and came with the box. Got both for £42 and a wiper motor.
[Image: IMG_20121222_230920.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20121222_230100.jpg]

The reason I bought toms amp over my existing one is that its about half the size AND it fits in the rear compartment of the estate which means it can be completely hidden! Today I also spent £16 on some 12mm MDF and screws. Plan is to fit the amp in the passenger side compartment and remove and build a custom enclosure where the drivers side compartment was and fit either a 10" or 12" sub. Probably the 12" as I already have one as my 10" is broken.

If tomorrow is nice it should be a good present shopping car modifying day! Big Grin
Where did you get your boost gauge mount from?
[Image: e0d4ac7c-727f-46a8-ae0c-d4a324a8a667_zpsyn3ibroz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Its a single gauge mount. Its very easy to find the double ones but incredibly difficult to find the single ones. It took a lot of googling so im not sure where from. I believe the double ones cost £38 and the single cost £34 or something. Brilliant though as they fit the 306 a pillar exactly and just require a bit of trimming at the bottom to get it to match the dash!

i believe it its this one!

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=1MRB129&a=i
Thanks given by:
(02-11-2014, 07:52 PM)SRowell Wrote: Its a single gauge mount. Its very easy to find the double ones but incredibly difficult to find the single ones. It took a lot of googling so im not sure where from. I believe the double ones cost £38 and the single cost £34 or something. Brilliant though as they fit the 306 a pillar exactly and just require a bit of trimming at the bottom to get it to match the dash!

i believe it its this one!

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=1MRB129&a=i

Thanks pal
[Image: e0d4ac7c-727f-46a8-ae0c-d4a324a8a667_zpsyn3ibroz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Still no real update on this. Its sitting locked up with flat tyres, stripped interior and wingless! Shouldnt take much to get it back on the road! Might enlist the help of a few friends one weekend to get them started with work on cars.

Beam - £40
Brake lines, - ?
Pads and Discs - £80
Drivers Side Wing - £15
Boost gauge tube and take off - £15
Myle HD wishbones and buses - £120

Ill get the 1.8 on the road first and get the insurance and tax paid. Then should have a few hundred to get this back on the road.
Thanks given by:
Are you still using the Prius atm then? Just interested in how much mpg it returns? I'm guessing about 45...
Thanks given by:
Nope the prius was just for the weekend. Carless atm. The prius did about 57mpg and that was hooning!
Thanks given by:
Oh, that sucks then! Sad

The mpgs not bad tbf , much better than expected lol.
Thanks given by:
As part of my new plan for saving moneys on fuel and having more time to spend working on both cars this will be coming back on the road. Needs the work doing that was a few posts ago. Tom and Grant have offered to lend a hand so right now its just a matter of buying all the parts come pay day!
Thanks given by:
Yaaaaaaay! Smile Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I reckon its going to take a few hundred to fix but should be possible! Once its back on the road itll be getting FMIC and stage 2 limited.

Also been looking at vinyl wraps wont happen but im thinking a shiny blue or yellow would be cool. Would be super easy to fill the bumpers and then just wrap over the top. Just a thought and definitely not the priority.
Thanks given by:
Dont go stage 2 limited sam, buy my clutch lol :p

Nah jk, glad to see it back! FCS next year in the estate with a fully track prepped 1.8/gti6 on the back? Wink
Thanks given by:
Don't think you can tow a hatch with an estate due to weight limits?
Thanks given by:
Depends if it's a braked trailer or not surely?
Thanks given by:
Book braked tow weight of the estate is 1200kg
Book weight of the hatch is 1115kg so you'd need to do a little weight shedding first but you could tow it
Thanks given by:
Ah shit yeah forgot about weights etc!
Thanks given by:
Right. First few purchases to getting this back on the road.

Got another boost take off piece. Same as the old one. The old one ended up on the 1.8 as a take off for the brake vacuum.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181596184791

and 2m of 5mm ID silicone hose. Previous hose got used for bleeding brakes. Got some nice red stuff this time. Couldnt decide whether to get red or blue. Can always rebuy when the FMIC gets fitted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190884940904

Thats all for now! Hopefully Ill pick up a red wing in the next week or so. Interior will be refitted and the car will be cleaned!
Thanks given by:
You know you got ripped a new asshole for that boost take off??
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silvery Stage 2+ Estate RA306 21 6,006 15-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Last Post: RA306
Exclamation PH1 genesis STDT sedan! Stage 2 soon be stage 3 GT20 strictly_perv 127 37,094 16-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Last Post: MissTap_GTI6
  Cully's Stage 1 HDI Estate ongoing Project cully 38 22,938 11-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Eeyore