Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up
Annnd we are back up and busy again! Payday was last week so ordered a few bits. Firstly, got a bargain Gates cam belt kit. Was on eBay for £70 or make an offer so i made him an offer of £50 and he took it Big Grin

Also got some purple (well in the photo it was purple but its more pink Sad ) hose for the map sensor, boost gauge and FPR and a nice big sheet of metal. Hopefully have the charger bracket mocked up this weekend and the engine timed up Smile

Oh and I've also ordered new shocks and springs as I'm really not getting on with the D2s. The car seems to handle worse and grip less with them no matter how i set them up but then I'm also turning into a old bastard and want it to be more comfortable lol.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Awaiting me when i got home was a massive parcel which contained this lot.

Bilstein B8 shocks and Eibach Pro springs to replace the D2 coil overs. This is the same setup i had before i bought the D2s and it way a much nicer ride.

Parts hoarding is going well. Room is starting to look like a bloody stock room but hopefully it will all be fitted in the coming weeks!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ooh big pile of bits
Thanks given by:
My old D2's by any chance?
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Well they weren't gonna be pellowe's lmao
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
True that, wounded were they went
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2013, 06:43 PM)sam Wrote: My old D2's by any chance?

Yes mate they are Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
how easy are these to supercharge, can the stock engines take the charger as they are?
Thanks given by:
dude, head in the sand much?

http://www.lynxpowerengineering.co.uk/sc.aspx
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2013, 08:51 PM)welshpug Wrote: dude, head in the sand much?

http://www.lynxpowerengineering.co.uk/sc.aspx

i don't play with pugs so i haven't read up on what the crack is with these engines. welsh pug.
Thanks given by:
Everything is improved by supercharging
Thanks given by:
Tbh id of rather turbo charged it but i couldn't really afford the added cost. 220ish will be plenty enough for me!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(04-12-2013, 09:19 PM)Niall Wrote: Tbh id of rather turbo charged it but i couldn't really afford the added cost. 220ish will be plenty enough for me!

you wont be bored with that!
Thanks given by:
Niall, I think I've already asked you this. But have you already bought the OMEX? I was chatting to chip wizards today and he's just done the mapping for a 205 with exactly the same setup as you, but on stock management. Only change was change the map sensor to one which can read boost - the rest can be reconfigured in the stock ECU.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Yep Omex is already here. I did hear rumours that you could use the stock ECU with boost (not the cheating way like Lynx) But i couldn't find a definitive answer so just went for the Omex. Gives me more ability to play with it anyway once its all set up.

Edit: how much does Wayne charge for a mapping session or does he do it by the hour? Heard very good things so tempted to drive the car up NA on standard management then swap the loom and ECU over int he car park and let him work his magic.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yep, you 100% can. You just need to know how to re-write some of the ECU to do it. It then behaves like a stock car, retains all OBD compliance for fault code reading, but yet reads boost properly and fuels accordingly. We've been working on the launch control on mine today, still on the stock ECU. It's a motorsport derived ECU anyway, which is pretty much identical to Magnetti Marelli's £7k full fat jobby (with a few less features).

You'd have to ring him and ask for a ballpark (07874328306).

His workshop isn't very far from mine at all really, given you are from a gazillion miles away... you'd be more than welcome to do it here and we could trailer it over...

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2013, 07:52 PM)jammapic Wrote: Yep, you 100% can. You just need to know how to re-write some of the ECU to do it. It then behaves like a stock car, retains all OBD compliance for fault code reading, but yet reads boost properly and fuels accordingly. We've been working on the launch control on mine today, still on the stock ECU. It's a motorsport derived ECU anyway, which is pretty much identical to Magnetti Marelli's £7k full fat jobby (with a few less features).

You'd have to ring him and ask for a ballpark (07874328306).

His workshop isn't very far from mine at all really, given you are from a gazillion miles away... you'd be more than welcome to do it here and we could trailer it over...

JP

Thats kind of you Smile
Ill see whats happening in a few months when the engine goes in. Tbh i would consider keeping the stock ECU but i like the idea of being able to play with the map my self which of course is easy with the Omex.
By the way, what colour was this 205 your on about? I know 3 people with them 2 of which currently have broken ECUs lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
No idea mate, sorry.
JP
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2013, 07:45 PM)Niall Wrote: Yep Omex is already here. I did hear rumours that you could use the stock ECU with boost (not the cheating way like Lynx) But i couldn't find a definitive answer so just went for the Omex. Gives me more ability to play with it anyway once its all set up.

Edit: how much does Wayne charge for a mapping session or does he do it by the hour? Heard very good things so tempted to drive the car up NA on standard management then swap the loom and ECU over int he car park and let him work his magic.

Pretty sure Wayne made the maps for Lynx.
Thanks given by:
He did yes. He wrote all the software for the low boost and high boost setups.

He now does it a bit differently, and changes the ecu to allow it to see boost!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2013, 10:52 PM)luke306rallye Wrote:
(13-12-2013, 07:45 PM)Niall Wrote: Yep Omex is already here. I did hear rumours that you could use the stock ECU with boost (not the cheating way like Lynx) But i couldn't find a definitive answer so just went for the Omex. Gives me more ability to play with it anyway once its all set up.

Pretty sure Wayne made the maps for Lynx.

Correct he did but the way the Lynx kits are set up (except the super high boost) means the ECU does not see boost and thinks the engine is still N/A.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Correct he did but the way the Lynx kits are set up (except the super high boost) means the ECU does not see boost and thinks the engine is still N/A.
[/quote]

which it can deal with quite happy as the air volume supply with a charger is linear through the rev range unlike a turbo
Thanks given by:
Yep.

But the better way is measure boost pressure, due to the filling of the intercooler pipes etc before the "boost" actually hits the manifold - and when you come off the throttle.

There's basically a lag time in ECU response as the sensors are so far away from the manifold, and the otherside of a big charger...
JP
Thanks given by:
Charger bracket is all mocked up and ready to go! Unfortunately i can't weld it properly as our welder isn't man enough to weld 5mm steel properly so for now, its all been tacked together to make sure its all in the right place and then it will be welded properly one eve this week.

Hopefully get it welded up this week then next weekend i can get it fitted to the engine and go and get a belt then its all ready to drop into the car!
Have to say a massive thanks to Grant for his help with making this over the past few days as he pretty much did all of it for me whilst i stood back and watched lol

Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Nice one Grant Big Grin

Nice to see it taking shape. You got an intake mani sorted yet?

After typing that, a pic of it popped up. Neat little mani that. Nice colour scheme too.!
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Good work,

This is exactly the sort of project I dig, homemade, custom 1 off things Tongue

10 times more interesting than any lynx bought kit! Even if it isnt as good at first / takes time to get right, thats what the fun is all about!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2013, 10:32 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Good work,

This is exactly the sort of project I dig, homemade, custom 1 off things Tongue

10 times more interesting than any lynx bought kit! Even if it isnt as good at first / takes time to get right, thats what the fun is all about!

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Personally, I would find no fun out of buying everything and just bolting it on. This way, it takes 10-100x longer, but is a million times more interesting and rewarding.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Sorry for not reading the whole thing bit what are you doing regarding recirc valve/dump valve? Off the charger that is
Thanks given by:
You will also learn 100 times more shit doing it yourself...you learn nothing bolting stuff on except how to work a spanner, and you cant learn that properly either as everything just bolts together easily, no "bending this" "semi crossing that" "tweaking with a drill twisting around that" lol.

Also this will sound 100 times better than a centrifugal SC, whine ftw, i miss my dervs charger soooo bad!! You will never drive past a single person again taht dosnt turn there head and think either "WTF is in that car ", or more likely due to most peoples dumbness, "WTF is wrong with that car!!!!"
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
That gather looks hench! Good work!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matts Cherry HDi Dturbo. Project Stage 1+ & tidy up. Matt-Rallye 29 12,866 10-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Matts £200 Cherry Rallye shell rebuild & tidy up project. Xsara goodies landed! Matt-Rallye 70 32,918 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Moonstone GTi6 Track-Lite Project reese 28 14,732 29-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: reese