Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up
Ooh water methanol is fun but it'll drink the stuff given the chance.
Thanks given by:
Couldn't care if it does. Its hardly a cheap car to run anyway haha.
Tbh there are a few other places in the system i can make it more efficient so will do that and see how i go. If i can keep it at 25 or below, ill be happy with that.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I dont think 35 is bad for a boosted car tbh. Mine, on the throttle bodies sees 30c when on the move and 50c when stationary. Hot air off the rad Sad
JP
Thanks given by:
You ever considered a shorter rad JP? I know a few of the boosted 205 lot use one to allow for the charger to be mounted above and as far as I'm aware they have no coolant temp issues
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 07:51 PM)Niall Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 07:48 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Good drop in temp mate. I won't make you jealous by telling you my inlet temp lol
i would of bought a Rotrex....but then id be gay just like everyone else lol.

Something we agree on Tongue
I still think you need to improve your intercooler i dont think the megane one is that great. Personally once you change that pulley over your temps will be higher again, have you tried moving your filter so its not drawing in the heat from the rad?
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 08:58 PM)Stef205 Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 07:51 PM)Niall Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 07:48 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Good drop in temp mate. I won't make you jealous by telling you my inlet temp lol
i would of bought a Rotrex....but then id be gay just like everyone else lol.

Something we agree on Tongue
I still think you need to improve your intercooler i dont think the megane one is that great. Personally once you change that pulley over your temps will be higher again, have you tried moving your filter so its not drawing in the heat from the rad?

Because of how close to the bonnet the charger is, I'm really restricted as to where i can put my air filter. It does have a heat shield but tbh doesn't really do much except stop direct air flow from through the rad hit the air filter but overall the bay temps still get high so i need to enclose the air filter and get some sort of cold air feed to it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
[Image: F1FreakHighPoweredPug_1.jpg]

there ya go bud....just use a scoop Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Class... real class. Ive always said i wanted to keep it looking OEM+. Think I've gone a bit passed that with the nuclear glow brakes but still quite subtle lol.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
In all seriousness, what about a cut-out in the grill with a custom air feed direct to the filter?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tbh i should be able to utilise the standard air scoop that takes air from just under the front of the bonnet but i need to build a custom air box which I've sketched up but just need to get it made and also decide on what material. Obviously metal will absorb bay heat a bit more than plastic but building it from plastic is going to be more expensive so gotta weigh up the pros and cons
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I've been eying up mounting my air filter behind the grille but in front of the rad and above the intercooler for the best chance of cold air without getting soaked in a wheel arch as my filter is also currently behind the rad.
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 08:45 AM)Niall Wrote: Tbh i should be able to utilise the standard air scoop that takes air from just under the front of the bonnet but i need to build a custom air box which I've sketched up but just need to get it made and also decide on what material. Obviously metal will absorb bay heat a bit more than plastic but building it from plastic is going to be more expensive so gotta weigh up the pros and cons

Where are you buying your plastic from dude, GRP 8x12 sheets can be had from less than a tenner, i can't see you needing more than that?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Metal wont always absorb more heat..depends on the coating
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2014, 05:52 AM)Poodle Wrote:
(02-09-2014, 08:45 AM)Niall Wrote: Tbh i should be able to utilise the standard air scoop that takes air from just under the front of the bonnet but i need to build a custom air box which I've sketched up but just need to get it made and also decide on what material. Obviously metal will absorb bay heat a bit more than plastic but building it from plastic is going to be more expensive so gotta weigh up the pros and cons

Where are you buying your plastic from dude, GRP 8x12 sheets can be had from less than a tenner, i can't see you needing more than that?

Really? Tbh its probably been the best part of 3 years since I've done any proper fibreglass work. I know you're the king of fibreglass so you're probably right Big Grin
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
ABS plastic is also really cheap and can be bent to shape with heat.
Thanks given by:
please write down your total price with remaping without fitting.. i cannot send private messages to you, if you could, send me private message with your email, i have some questions about supercharger..

Thank you.
Thanks given by:
Total price was around the £1750 mark but it could of been cheaper if I had of been a bit more careful and bought a few second hand bits

Will send over my email
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Took the car to Combe for the summer action day on Saturday. Still shocked at the MPG this car gives back on the motorway and A roads and still manages to embarrass some much bigger and quicker machinery.

Anyway, Still chasing high inlet temps so I've bought a enclosed filter and jammed it in the bay. Saw temperatures as low as 9 degrees the other day but it still rapidly climbs when on boost and in traffic but on average it has dropped down. Issue is i really don't have room for it and still not happy with the air temps so i have two options.
Firstly, easier and will be happening next month is relocate the battery to the boot which will give me shit loads more room for activities (and fitting air filters)
and second is to fit a bigger charger. If i fitted a M62 (flows 1000cc per revolution instead of 750cc on the M45) i could run it at 9-10psi which would see me more power but most importantly would be much more efficient as I'm not squeezing as much as possible out of it so should see much lower air temps as well! That may well happen as in theory, it shouldn't cost me much at all as everything is already set up.

Anyway, today, fitted my HDi starter motor and it actually starts now!!
Also, chasing a boost leak ive had and finally found it

[attachment=19094]

That would be a recirc valve with a nice gap around the butterfly. Thankfully they are adjustable so adjusted, closed it up and no more whistling and more boost which we all like!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Just admit it all my nagging about a bigger charger has paid off! you saw my manly charger and thought you need one of them. Im still not convinced that the merc m62 will give them same as the yank gm m62 as theres a fair difference in size! man up just buy a m112! ill approve of it then Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Well finally had a good weekend on the car to just get them annoying things sorted. Firstly and most importantly, got an oil change done which was well over due. The oil that came out was very clean but tired so glad i got that done.
Took full advantage of the Opie oils sale and got some fully synthetic shell and it came with a free 1 litre bottle and top up kit which was a nice touch

[attachment=19195]

[attachment=19196]

Also FINALLY got my lower strut brace fitted. Only taken my 6 months to dig it out lol

[attachment=19197]

Managed to get out for a quick drive to get the oil hot and it handles miles better. Forgot just how good them braces are! Also, the car is making 4psi of boost now I've adjusted the recirc so should make 7 on the smaller pulley.
Ive also had a odd noise coming from the crank pulley area for a while so decided to do some digging into that as it seems to have become louder of late. Took the cam belt cover off and it seems to be my water pump (quite difficult to tell when the cars running) which has really annoyed me as that was a genuine pug one! Will get a new one ordered and get that on there i suppose Sad
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
So been a while since I've updated this. I fitted the smaller charger pulley and you can certainly tell this charger is healthier than the old one as it pulls a hell of a lot better than the old charger. Air temps are also lower. Even after a hoon i was seeing mid 30s where as on the old one, i was getting near to 50!
Got a bearing kit here to do on the charger when i can pop over to Dans to use his press so then i know the charger will be good to go for the lifetime of the car unless it ingests an ocelot or something like that.

PFC End of season expo was the weekend just gone so up early on the Saturday to drive up (via getting my MOT done), sitting at a steady 75 on the M25 and suddenly got some nasty hunting then suddenly sod all power. Had to drop down to 4th just to maintain speed. Over to the hard shoulder and i was sure it was a loose HT lead. Checked the connections to the coil pack and fine but no tools to take the top cover off the engine to check the connections to the plugs so spent an hour waiting for the RAC Sad

[attachment=19636]

An hour later and he arrives and sods law, the car starts fine! He tightens up all the plugs, secures the coil pack and on we go, meet Sam, miss my MOT and continue on up to Derby absolutely fine. Hit the bar to bump into Kingy from here. Turns out it was his local.
Anyway, Show on sunday, decide to leave at about 2 for a steady drive home with Sam exploding our ear drums with his ridiculous popping exhaust lol. And then, 5 miles before the M1/M25 junction......

[attachment=19637]

Yep, coil pack again. This time, it gives up on a hill and on a junction so had to cut up 3 lanes of traffic to get over to the hard shoulder then smash the brakes on before i get to the end of the hard shoulder lol. This time its obvious its the coil pack its self as the car would run on 4, then suddenly 2 then 4 then 2 lol. HA Stopped to have a word with us and i was hoping they would tow us off the motorway as its not really a pleasant place to stand but they just buggered off lol

[attachment=19638]

[attachment=19639]

3 Hours later and we are home. Fair play to them the RAC were spot on and couldnt of been more helpful. The guy who came out had a Astra turbo running Megasquirt so knew a bit about modified cars as well which was good.

So, this was a perfect excuse to change the coil pack and HT lead set up to a coil on plug set up. Lot neater and less to go wrong lol. Ordered a coil pack which turned up today, whipped all the old shit off and got the new one in. Just need to grind off a few of the tabs for the original coils so it fits properly and she will live once again!

[attachment=19640]
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Bugger, what was wrong with the GTi 4 single coil system rather than the 4 in one job
Thanks given by:
The Omex will only run semi sequential rather than fully. It can run 4 separate coils semi sequentially but the ECU needs modifying by Omex at quite a cost so just isn't worth it!
Thanks given by:
I don't think they do or don't make more power with coil on plug, but they seem to be better on fuel and I like the fact it retains some OEM.
JP
Thanks given by:
In theory, you will get a better spark considering you are running several thousand volt down them, you have less distance to suffer from any voltage drop but its going to be such a tiny amount, it just won't notice.
I did wonder though if its been playing up for a while though if I've been getting a weaker spark. We will see tomorrow when i go out and empty my fuel tank Big Grin
Thanks given by:
So, got the coil pack properly fitted and ran up spot on. Went on a test run and all seemed fine....

[attachment=19811]

Picked Grant up, just driving past my house to head up to ace and bang. 2 cylinders. f*ck sake. Thankfully i was right outside my house so nursed it back to the drive and drove to ace in the kia sulking.
I left the car a few days then thought i should send it out. I had been speaking to Omex who suggested my Dwell times could of been too high meaning the coil drivers couldnt dissipate the extra heat so were just shutting down. Either that or a bad driver. I thought id open up the ECU to see if there was anything obviously wrong and...

[attachment=19812]

Spot on. Now, the bit i haven't mentioned. The ECU plug is IP68 rated for use in engine bays and so will seal air perfectly meaning the plug is a complete pig to get off as it creates a vacuum. When i removed the ecu from the car, the plug virtually fell off the ecu. Turns out the clip just hadn't quite clipped into place when i put the ecu back in before PFC expo. Plugged in properly and its been fine since lol. So I'm hoping thats it!
Going to get some videos over the next few days with any luck Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Glad to hear, great simple fix!! Hope thats it!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
nice and easy fix! Hopefully it wont happen again!
Thanks given by:
wow, we do like an easy fix, good news you're up and running again
Thanks given by:
Looking good Eaton fwend!! Chasing charge temps yourself then!!
This genuinely is one of my favourite projects on here. Keep it up pal Smile
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matts Cherry HDi Dturbo. Project Stage 1+ & tidy up. Matt-Rallye 29 12,839 10-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Matts £200 Cherry Rallye shell rebuild & tidy up project. Xsara goodies landed! Matt-Rallye 70 32,740 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Moonstone GTi6 Track-Lite Project reese 28 14,709 29-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: reese