Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up
Looks like it may fail the shoe test but yes good job levelling it out. Cant wait to see you and all your tartyness at FCS.
Thanks given by:
Well thats it! Its all ready for mapping now after I've virtually spent all weekend on it.

I have:
Replaced drive shaft,
Fitted Wideband,
Programmed sideband onto ecu,
Tarted up some engine bay parts,
Fitted smaller charger pulley (cheers Dan Heart),
retapped charger outlet bolts as one was stripped,
Fixed 2 boost leaks,
Cleaned and polished,
One final view over before mapping.

I have decided i wanted a wide band with a display now and found one i really like. Still your standard 52mm gauge but its a multi gauge and touch OLED screen. That should be turning up tomorrow so will be swapping the Innovate for the PLX tomorrow evening and quickly fibreglassing together a mount for it ready for the shows.
Car was driven today and on an over take, unintentionally saw 9psi (running rich as f*ck so was not done again!) which is 2 more than i expected. Also, fuel pressure is now nice and steady unlike on the original pump so fingers crossed, it should see me the figures i wanted on thursday! Im quite nervous but also excited about mapping and i really do hope it makes a decent power figure because its not going back for a long while afterwards!

Anyway, text is boring so some pics of a clean 6...

[attachment=16575]

[attachment=16576]

[attachment=16577]

[attachment=16578]

And one of the new ride height

[attachment=16579]

Chances are this won't be updated after mapping as i may be going straight from Rainham to FCS (160 mile drive Sad ) so if people want to know how it goes, either come and find me or if you see a Kia on the stand, you know it didn't end well lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Hope it all goes well if it works fine stick your print out in the window
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Hope you'll fit that bloody mirror cap before FCS... lol

Looking good though! Smile
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2014, 09:42 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Hope you'll fit that bloody mirror cap before FCS... lol

Looking good though! Smile

lol its in the shed. I painted it along with the other one but some shit landed on it when it was wet with lacquer and I've never got round to fitting it. Might just fit it anyway lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall, I'm absolutely loving this car!
Thanks given by:
Wideband turned up today. Did get a video of it in use but it seems to have disappeared.

[attachment=16606]

[attachment=16607]

[attachment=16608]

Nice touch screen gauge and nice thing is, you can add on sensors for other things and just tap the screen to scroll through things like boost, oil pressure etc.
Fitted it and found out the car is running a bit rich but not as bad as i first thought but that will be dealt with Thursday Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Fingers crossed you'll be venturing down the M4 in it on Friday then?
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(03-06-2014, 10:30 PM)Tallguy_2 Wrote: Fingers crossed you'll be venturing down the M4 in it on Friday then?

Yep fingers crossed it will be there this weekend Smile

http://youtu.be/AtG9W7FaaD0

Found it!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Good luck mate. Ive still got that FPR if you need it.
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2014, 11:26 AM)SRowell Wrote: Good luck mate. Ive still got that FPR if you need it.

Bit f*cking late now! Unless your going to drop it to T&R tomorrow for me Big Grin
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(04-06-2014, 11:28 AM)Niall Wrote:
(04-06-2014, 11:26 AM)SRowell Wrote: Good luck mate. Ive still got that FPR if you need it.

Bit f*cking late now! Unless your going to drop it to T&R tomorrow for me Big Grin

Ive had it the whole time! I was waiting for you to come and get it! Im at work tomorrow. I can leave it somewhere for you if you want.
Thanks given by:
Good luck mate. Hope it goes better than last time Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2014, 08:02 PM)eddy_gti6 Wrote: Good luck mate. Hope it goes better than last time Big Grin

So do i! Sad
Also started to suffer from a bit of charger surge now I'm running more boost but can't do anything about it yet. Just haven't got the stuff to deal with it so will just have to put up and see!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Well a long update (like most of mine really!)
Thursday was mapping and i must of been mad because the plan was to map the car then drive straight to Foobys house ready to sort of FCS on the friday.
Me and Grant arrived at Track and Road on Thursday for 9 and went to the worlds worst cafe, had a fry up then after lots and lots of swearing, whinging and bitching, Steve at T&R got the car on the rollers. They spent half hour or so working on the idle and low speed things and occasionally the car suffered what at the time i thought was a misfire which also happened a few times on the way there. Didn't think anything of it. Anyway, after a cup of tea and starting to work on the more mid range stuff, the car suddenly died from about 2.5k on the rollers to be told by Steve that my fuel pump had died. Its a brand new pump so my first suspicion was fuse seeing as the fuse that supplies the pump and engine fans is 0.2a over spec'd and that doesn't include any volt drop. Fuse fine, plug it back in and the fucker works! Carried on with the mapping, got to the first power run and....197hp

http://youtu.be/y6mvG6gZCOo
Two things. Firstly, why the fan on the exhaust? Well I'm sure Grant will upload the video for me but when my exhaust got hot, it melted my bumper to the point it was smoking so that was a last ditched attempt to keep it in tact lol. Secondly, why only 197hp? Well some dick who built this shit heap decided that Aralditing a plate onto the front of the throttle body to blank off the TB heater hole would be ok. Wrong. I can only assume that when it got hot, it re melted the Araldite and to our amazement, it was several feet across the work shop. The guys kindly modified the plate and bolted it on this time, sealed it up and away we go again. Few changes and another power run. 204hp. I was happy with anything over 200 but the two Steves weren't happy with that. Bit more fettling and 3rd power run. 211hp. Again, I'm happy but the Steves aren't. Repeat and....

[attachment=16677]

The Steves are adamant that they could squeeze more out but at the risk of compromising reliability. We all know Peugeots (especially this one!) aren't that reliable so i put a stop to it there and walked away with two graphs

[attachment=16679]
This one is a comparison of the first mapping session and this one

[attachment=16680]

And this one is my final dyno graph. Im over the moon with it. Although its not as powerful as other mods such as bodies or a lynx kit, its cheaper (if you don't f*ck things up like me anyway!), the power delivery is bloody fantastic and more to the point, i proved a point to my self and built the entire thing my self except for the mapping.
Big thanks to Grant for comforting me when i was getting very worried about it on the dyno lol.
Anyway, from there we drove straight to Chippingham to see Adam and it did the 140 miles journey on just over 1/4 of a tank and that included a few small blats including destroying a 330i who decided to act like a dick.

[attachment=16681]

Took it to FCS and got a fair bit of attention and a fair few questions which was nice. Drove home and...issues arise. Normally it wouldn't move from 87 degrees but i was seeing almost 100 at times. Had to drive home with the interior fan on full blast just to keep it cool and when i got home, found a pin in a plug not contacting properly so the fans weren't working Sad

Now just needs a coolant change, bigger recirc valve and enjoy it!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Have you STILL got just water in it?!
Thanks given by:
(08-06-2014, 07:58 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: Have you STILL got just water in it?!

Maybe Undecided Will be changed tomorrow!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
That car sounds epic on the dyno!
Also, where's your tax disc?
Thanks given by:
On the passenger seat lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(08-06-2014, 09:27 PM)callumcull Wrote: Also, where's your tax disc?

Jesus, you don't miss a thing! lol

Wink
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(08-06-2014, 09:39 PM)Grant Wrote:
(08-06-2014, 09:27 PM)callumcull Wrote: Also, where's your tax disc?

Jesus, you don't miss a thing! lol

Wink

I notice everything, it's bloody awful!
Thanks given by:
Such an awsome car!
Thanks given by:
Good to see you haven't had too many teething problems with this mate. Extremely jealous!
Thanks given by:
What is it with you lot and chipp"ing"ham? It's Chip"pen"ham ffs, that levels you with the sort of weirdos that say pyujott when you mean Peugeot. Rolleyes

Good result on the dyno there anyway mate, did they mention what was limiting the power? Even with fans not working i wouldn't expect to see the temp go up that much, you sure your cooling system is working properly?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 05:45 AM)Poodle Wrote: Good result on the dyno there anyway mate, did they mention what was limiting the power? Even with fans not working i wouldn't expect to see the temp go up that much, you sure you're cooling system is working properly?

The main biggest restriction was inlet temps which is something I've really got to work on. I always expected higher than normal temps as these chargers do get bloody hot but this one seems particularly bad for some reason!
Cooling system is working fine (albeit with water instead of coolant Undecided ). Got the fans working again and a quick trip out to get it up to temp again and it sat perfectly at 87 degrees. Unfortunately these GTI engines do get very hot and can quite happily over heat if the cooling system isn't in good condition.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Fair enough, maybe where it's been geared up perhaps...? Funny, would think that huge megane intercooler would have been more than adequate.

I know they get hot in traffic, but they shouldn't need fans when you're moving should they... Don't know, just doesn't seem like a good or normal thing tbh. You still using the original rad?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 05:58 AM)Poodle Wrote: Fair enough, maybe where it's been geared up perhaps...? Funny, would think that huge megane intercooler would have been more than adequate.

I know they get hot in traffic, but they shouldn't need fans when you're moving should they... Don't know, just doesn't seem like a good or normal thing tbh. You still using the original rad?

Even when on a standard engine my fans would occasionally run when driving. Yesterday was an exceptionally hot day and it only got hot when i put my foot down. At a steady cruise, i could happily keep it at 87-90 degrees but i suppose as soon as i pumped a shit load of baking hot air through it, the temps climbed. Still using the original rad which isn't in the best of condition so thats on the cards for replacement soon!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Was good to meet you chap and have a look at your car as you were saying about the fans and heat my car was getting hot on the way home and fans were on it was bloody hot yesterday
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Looked good at FCS mate. Throw a bottle of Water Wetter in there when you do the coolant change, I've found it does exactly what it says on the tin in my diesel
Thanks given by:
I know mine is different aspiration, but pretty much lb/ft for bhp the same stats...

I have a 16 row oil cooler, stock Nissens rad and mine sits at 75c when cruising, and even during a 2 hour open pit session on Saturday at no point did it go over 80c. Infact, even before I put the new rad on it, at Mallory last year it didn't ever go above 80c.

The only time I've ever seen it go over 80c is when it's stationary in traffic, and even then it gets up to around 95c, fans come on and it drops back to just under 90.

I know you are throwing heated, charged air down it's neck, but I wouldn't have imagined at cruise it should be that hot as there's very little boost going in - is there?

Have you checked the basics? Rad not blocked? Water pump is new? pipes all clear?

JP
JP
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matts Cherry HDi Dturbo. Project Stage 1+ & tidy up. Matt-Rallye 29 12,759 10-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Matts £200 Cherry Rallye shell rebuild & tidy up project. Xsara goodies landed! Matt-Rallye 70 32,463 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Moonstone GTi6 Track-Lite Project reese 28 14,633 29-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: reese