Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up
So today has consisted of not a lot except for a bit of planning and design.
The charger outlet i originally designed would of been ideal except for three things.
The engine actually sits at 30 degrees instead of the 15 i thought so we made the outlet wrong meaning it didn't fit down in front of the rad and we had to turn it 90 degrees and spectacularly bodge it together as you have seen before.
The plate is made from steel and the charger is ally so they expand at different rates which has caused the plate to buckle and leak air
The pipework to the intercooler runs along the top of the intercooler and then around the back of the rad meaning a huge run of pipework which i really want to reduce and that air thats going into the intercooler will be even hotter than it would if it didn't go that route. On the dyno, temperatures of almost 50 degrees were seen which is far from ideal!
Also, the plate is leaking since its buckled meaning I'm only getting 4psi boost (may be more but haven't really booted it yet lol).

So, time to design a new one. I was temped to get a new IC which would allow the O/S pipe to run around the chassis leg and up where the washer bottle would be but then i realised i don't have a massive fan cowling in the way so...

[attachment=14810]

[attachment=14811]

So instead of that pipe going all the way along the top of the IC, it will join the silicone from the IC with a 90, straight up past the rad and straight into the front of the charger with the new plate.
Hoping the new plate will be made by the end of the month, will be made out of aluminium this time so will expand closer to the chargers expansion rate and the plate that will bolt to the charger will be made of 10mm aluminium instead of the 3mm steel i currently have.

[attachment=14813]

This is the first design for the new outlet but I'm sure it will change over the coming week. As soon as I'm happy with it, i will send it off to be made unless anyone on here is handy with a sheet of aluminium and a TIG? Wink

Oh also ordered a Walbro fuel pump and a new green cotton air filter
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Good planning there mate...be curious if there is anyone good with a TIG...will need some work done soon with some ally
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So payday has been and i promised my self i wasn't going to spend much on the car now its working. That lasted long lol

ordered my self a nice big Green Cotton air filter which should be here next week, a new aux belt idler pulley as the one i had previously (which was sold to me as good working condition Angry) made a horrible noise and made the belt slap occasionally. Car now sounds normal and no more horrid rattling noises Smile
Also bought my self a walbro 255 fuel pump as mine was failing and not providing enough fuel. Fitting wasn't too easy but got it done in the end and now, it makes a more positive constant noise unlike before when it would drop out for a split second or make other strange noises. I was expecting to find some filings in the pump housing but it was pretty clean so i can only assume its started wearing out internally.

[attachment=14947]

Drawing has been sent off to several companies and people and I'm awaiting quotes back for my new charger outlet and as soon as i get one I'm happy with (hint hint Jonny Wink ), ill get it ordered then i can get rid of my ridiculous boot piping route causing silly high inlet temps. Then, it can go back for mapping again Big Grin
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Fancy booking the same day as me? Then we can drive in yours and get mine trailored. Could be a fun day. May 19th?
Thanks given by:
Will see what funds are like on payday mate and let you know Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Are you driving this daily Niall, is she behaving?
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(03-04-2014, 07:28 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: Are you driving this daily Niall, is she behaving?

Hell No! I love it to pieces but i would of sold it ages ago if i was driving it daily.

This is my current daily weapon

[attachment=14961]

It is however behaving its self really well. I was a bit concerned about the ever increasing rattle at the bottom end but I've replaced the idler pulley now (very difficult to pin point the noise to this due to lack of room) and its as sweet as a nut.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Good to hear the pulley sorted that noise Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Ha ha so the mighty H is your daily weapon of choice, at least it's reliable but boring lol

Good to hear it's mostly sorted now, just some tweaking left Smile

Thanks given by:
Well pleased mate, glad to see it's panned out well!
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2014, 05:09 AM)devils_fuel Wrote: Ha ha so the mighty H is your daily weapon of choice, at least it's reliable...

Oh dear, don't get Niall started on new cars reliability... lol
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2014, 07:46 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(04-04-2014, 05:09 AM)devils_fuel Wrote: Ha ha so the mighty H is your daily weapon of choice, at least it's reliable...

Oh dear, don't get Niall started on new cars reliability... lol

Too late Angry
It's not bloody reliable. It broke down the other day. It's only done 2000 miles!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
WTF ??!!! I thought they bang on about their 7 yr warranty.

#runsawayfromthehornetsnest

Thanks given by:
Lol it decided to piss all of its coolant all over the road. Good quality car right there!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
lmao

Thanks given by:
But they fixed it for free under warranty right... Wink

I must admit though, I kinda like the look of that Hyundai. Sad
Thanks given by:
[attachment=15078]

Yay more shiny stuff!! Green cotton air filter apparently good to flow enough air for 300bhp so easily enough for me. Got it nice and cheap on sale from Demon Tweeks. Just a shame their delivery service still hasn't improved Angry

Also, i bloody hate this time of year and being surrounded by blossoming trees...

[attachment=15079]

That was only cleaned just over a week ago.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Bloody blossom trees... Spawn of satan!
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Green filters ftfw
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Damn thats a good looking car...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2014, 06:38 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Green filters ftfw

Never used them before so will see how i get on. Was always a K&N fan but I've heard a lot of good about green filters

(07-04-2014, 06:42 PM)Tom Wrote: Damn thats a good looking car...

Currently looks like something Mr Blobby would drive!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
[attachment=15132]

So i think that needed changing! lol

[attachment=15133]

Already makes a much better noise than the old K&N...not that its easy to hear over the supercharger lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
New plates sorted yet??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2014, 08:02 PM)Piggy Wrote: New plates sorted yet??

Plates? Charger plates? If so, I'm waiting quotes from a few companies at the moment Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ah right.
Let me know what sort of prices you get.
I have found a little workshop/company near me with two old guys still running it, they can do custom plates like you and I need...just be interesting to compare quotes
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2014, 08:07 PM)Piggy Wrote: Ah right.
Let me know what sort of prices you get.
I have found a little workshop/company near me with two old guys still running it, they can do custom plates like you and I need...just be interesting to compare quotes

Got any details? I can email them my drawing and see what they quote.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Nice filter bro.
Thanks given by:
Filter looks great

Any more bit to do this weekend?
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Niall,

Loving the project... but just a note...

Where that air filter is, clearly will be drawing hot air in.

The way a fixed displacement blower works is massively influenced by inlet air temperature. A couple of degrees extra temperature into the charger is easily multiplied and the outlet temp can be exponentially increased, simply due to the lower efficiency of a root blower. On the jaguar, at 14psi, I have seen that inlet air changes of 3 or 4c make 10/15c changes AFTER the chargecoolers. This means cooling system is having to work harder, air is less dense and as a rule of thumb 10c inlet temp is worth around 2bhp...

You definitely need to get a cold air feed, or an enclosed filter on there - with the air off the rad being 60/70/80c and ambient being (at the moment) 15c, it's got to be worth a fair chunk of power to you, maybe 10/12/14hp.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Cheers JP. Funnily enough, I've just ordered some sheet steel to make a scoop off of the slam panel and enclose the filter slightly.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matts Cherry HDi Dturbo. Project Stage 1+ & tidy up. Matt-Rallye 29 12,834 10-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Matts £200 Cherry Rallye shell rebuild & tidy up project. Xsara goodies landed! Matt-Rallye 70 32,678 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Moonstone GTi6 Track-Lite Project reese 28 14,703 29-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: reese