HDi sluggish starting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDi sluggish starting
Mrs Piggys 206 2.0HDi

Cold mornings, really sluggish to start. Turns over like a battery on its last legs.

Once started and running for a minute or so, it will start on the key.

Battery is a Bosch and only about a year old.

With a battery boosted pack on, no difference.

When it does fire up, cloud of exhaust fumes. A few coughs. 

Also, climate control has reset itself and airbag light on. (Airbag light resets itself after the next time engine is off/on)

Not had time to get at the car properly, Mrs piggy using it and me busy... 

Anyone had similar?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Are you able to try a different battery? If the battery is properly dying a booster may not help.
Thanks given by:
try a diffrent battery as rowell says but i have had issues with sluggish stsarter motors being slow or bad earths. I would check battery then if its not that (which i doubt being you) swap the starter motor from the LEmoan its the same and see if it makes a difffrence. If you need a starter give me a shout ill post you one i have about 6. Just cover postage as its you. Also its unlikly to be glowplugs on these. Ive never really had an issue with the 2.0lts and glow plugs. I didnt even run any once through winter and it started on the button, obviouly being DI theyre a bit better.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Yeah it's not glowies I don't think...just not spinning fast enough.
My first inclination is starter as it had made funny noises earlier in the year...maybe drawing loads of amps.
Will check earth's too if I get a moment

(30-11-2017, 09:17 AM)Eeyore Wrote: Are you able to try a different battery? If the battery is properly dying a booster may not help.

Battery has tested fine

This booster will start a car without a battery so would expect it to help anyhow
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I would say starter motor issue
Thanks given by:
Hdi's are fond of a sluggish starter motor, however the airbag light coming on then resetting suggests a low voltage.. this could be down to the starter drawing lots of amps though, I doubt the 1 year Bosch battery would be at fault.
Blaze '6 and Blaze D-turbo!
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2017, 01:04 PM)Mitch Wrote: I doubt the 1 year Bosch battery would be at fault.

I would not discount it, the blue topped bosch silvers don't like a bit of volt drop and cold weather and lazy starters.

not saying its directly at fault but they can suffer a bit.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2017, 01:53 PM)welshpug Wrote:
(04-12-2017, 01:04 PM)Mitch Wrote: I doubt the 1 year Bosch battery would be at fault.

I would not discount it, the blue topped bosch silvers don't like a bit of volt drop and cold weather and lazy starters.

not saying its directly at fault but they can suffer a bit.
Ahh well in that case then, thinking about it the last two battery's I've replaced of my own have both been blue tops.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I've seen a lot of shit Bosch batteries in recent years. At least try another battery if you've got one.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I would expect its a lazy starter.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
So despite the battery passing usual tests... Put it on a trickle charger overnight and the thing started much better.
So either;
Duff battery
Power drain
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Easy test: disconnect it overnight and see if it helps.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Time for a parasitic battery drain test then.. although I'd still suspect the starter simply from the amount of lazy hdi ones I've replaced.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Started fine today... #facepalm
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It probably started ok as it's not been as cold.

I've had this the last couple of weeks on my car.

I to thought it was the battery and charged it and found it better after that charge then went the same the next day. I checked the voltage before starting and it was healthy but still turned over slowly.

The symptoms I had were the same. First start of the day slow, the rest ok.

The clocks would do the swiping thing.

I thought I'd take a look at the starter thinking the solenoid was getting gummed up and not moving freely.

I gave it a clean, it didn't look to bad to my surprise. I gave it a very light film of grease.

Next I moved on the earths. I found a layer crap on the crimp ring and mating surface of the lug on the gearbox it bolts to.

I cleaned it all up and now the engine spins over so quickly, it's awesome.
Thanks given by:
Earth's are fine. Been checked.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Is it a valeo starter motor on yours?
Thanks given by:
Take it for a proper drop style load test and see what AH it’s actallt is, probably down to 200 or something.
Thanks given by:
I had a bosch s5 and it lasted less than a year. The silverline range is properly useless especially when it costs so much.
Thanks given by:
Bosch s5 here, 3 years old and dying!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hdi feels sluggish? please help dirtyboost89 13 2,914 19-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Midnightclub