Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Drill bits
#1
Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap but decent set of drill bits. I've been using wilko ones and they manage half the depth of a manifold stud before being blunt and it's really obvious as they fly through the first half and then just give up.

So where can I get some decent drill bits that won't break the bank and will last through drilling out half a dozen studs?
#2
Ive been using my dads bosch set and need to get my own really. Ive snapped the 4.5, the 5 and now the 5.5 on metal so im not sure they are all that. :/

Maybe im just expecting too much. Have had them for a few years now. Im not entirely sure cheap and decent go together.
#3
I bought a set of these at the NEC bike show. used a couple, but not given them a 'full workout' yet.
http://www.drillalldrillbits.com/
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
#4
I had this set for quite a while

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAK-P-51873-Tit...B007RCCPC0
#5
I use Dorma bits, with out doubt the best if a little expensive. Any Cobalt set should do the job though?
#6
Yea I got a Cobalt set off eBay, it's lasted ages, only a few have snapped.
#7
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-Tools-1...SwMNxXYxEa

Cheap, and last very well for what they cost. Key is cutting fluid / spray, and ideally a pillar drill, operator is as important as the bit....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
#8
(24-03-2017, 12:58 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-Tools-1...SwMNxXYxEa

Cheap, and last very well for what they cost. Key is cutting fluid / spray, and ideally a pillar drill, operator is as important as the bit....

totally worth getting those. Look at how many there are to snap! Big Grin
#9
Dormer and wurth are the best bits you can get. Reca make fairly decent ones too. Cheap drill bits are just a false economy really
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
#10
buy decent bits, buy drill bit sharpener.
#11
I bought a draper set still going strong

if you look out on ebay job lots of wurth and dormers are on there regualry
#12
toolstation do cobalt double packs quite cheaply, go up to 13mm.
I have 2 of each as I am fed up using standard "black" drillbits....(dormer or presto--not shite stuff)
#13
Cheers guys, got some choices to make now.
#14
(24-03-2017, 10:49 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap but decent set of drill bits. I've been using wilko ones and they manage half the depth of a manifold stud before being blunt and it's really obvious as they fly through the first half and then just give up.

So where can I get some decent drill bits that won't break the bank and will last through drilling out half a dozen studs?

There is rarely such a thing mate.,,, buy cheap and buy twice.. 

Cheap drill bits generally tend to be just that.. cheap.  Tungsten carbide tipped ones rarely are Properly tipped unless you spend big pennies 


My advice would be to get down to RS or somewhere of the sort and pick up a nice set of black oxide or suitably coated HSS drill bits..
i have a nice RS set (that didnt break the bank) and have only broken the ones i have been stupid with..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYpMf0ahJNc This guy has a couple of PhDs and i have been addicted to his videos for a while, works in the mining and oil industry and is .   Notice the difference between cheap and expensive. 

been watching him for a while and learnt some nice little tricks..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
#15
Some pretty good advice on this thread tbh. Plenty of lube and the correct speed make all the difference ime. If drilling with a pistol drill I find drills I have sharpened myself with a more aggressive pitch normally drill better. A bench grinder is ideal for that obviously but have used an angle grinder when out on site if stuck. The key is grinding away enough relief at the back of the cutting edge to let the swarf escape.
As for buying cheap, buy twice that's an understatement for some drill bits, there is some truly dreadful shite out there!
#16
This is exactly the thread I needed since I need to drill out a bolt that has completely seized, just ordered some dorma bits from amazon and some cutting compound. Hopefully those will do the trick, fingers crossed.
#17
its Dormer not dorma.

but yes, I would recommend that brand.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
#18
Just a reminder that if anybody uses Cobalt drills - eye protection is essential !
#19
(27-03-2017, 04:29 PM)welshpug Wrote: its Dormer not dorma.

but yes, I would recommend that brand.

Yeah my bad, I just mispelled it but it's Dormer that I bought.
#20
I use those 170pc cheap sets Darren recommended for random jobs. They're fine if you're not a moron on the drill trigger and burn them out. Hell, I used to use them in the CNC mill @ 9krpm...

But for proper jobs which need to be on size or for tapping, I have a set of Clarkson and Osborne - 135*, split point, with Ti-N coated flutes and TiAlN coated shoulder - which go through even hardened stuff like butter.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
#21
I bought a real cheap set off ebay that were HSS, havent had any issues with them for the small bits of drilling I do, as mentioned above technique plays a huge part in not f*cking them, steady hand, oiling the cut and going slow mine are all still good.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what drill to buy!!! bashbarnard 31 16,696 28-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Rippthrough
  Drill bit/tap size for 3/8" bspt boost gauge tapping Paul_13 13 6,990 10-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Paul_13
  best drill bits procta 33 17,456 21-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Paul Baldwin

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)