Rumble/shake/squeaky nois and feel - 306 Hdi V reg.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumble/shake/squeaky nois and feel - 306 Hdi V reg.
Must be getting bored of seeing my name pop up now! Seem to be asking more questions than I would have hoped I would haha. 

I need some help or even a pointing finger at an issue that seems to occur more so when the car is cold.
It seems to shake a fair bit and i also get a thud/banging but after say 3-4 minutes it stops/lessens. If I had to describe the noise I would have said it sounds similarto the parcel shelf just banging about but I have removed that and it still happened...

I have thought that it could be the rear brakes taking their time to release - seeing as it's on the start and obviously the handbrake would be released (usually after a good 6 hours Atleast of being stood!)

Any help would be appriciated. 

Other forums seen to state rear subframe mounts or CV joints?
Thanks given by:
Check the simple things first.......is the spare tyre secure and are the backbox mountings OK?
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
where abouts is the noise coming from?

front or rear?

i had a strange noise, it worried me alot, as i had just quite literally put new wheels on. turned out the noise i thought was coming from the front, was coming from the rear hood cover locks (i have the cabby btw)

so, with that in mind, where do you think the noise is coming from location wise? front/rear high or low in the car?
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
I thought it was coming from the passenger side rear wheel. I was worried that it could have been some thing breaking down on the rear beam but just haven't had the time to get it checked over...

I have checked the spare wheel and exhaust and there is no movement what so
Provence blue - Fixer upper   Blush 

Mk3 306, 2.0 litre HDi
Thanks given by:
what about the actual wheel itself.

if you think it is coming from there, then thats where we start Smile

how does it look sat on the ground? is there any camber?

when jacked up is there any play/wobble in the wheel.

i am suspecting wheel bearing here, as it goes when driven for a while, which would suggest its got play in it, and when warm there is less.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
If it's from the rear, the beam is a likely culprit but you need to trace the sound.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
but nothing can be done with it on the ground Smile , it will take about 1/2 hr to eliminate a few things. even better, if you have a mate with a 4 point lift, much easier to be able to get right under the car Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
on a straight smooth road with no traffic, gently weave form side to side, does the noise change at all and in what direction does it become quieter and noisier??
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2016, 08:34 PM)pug306driver Wrote: on a straight smooth road with no traffic, gently weave form side to side, does the noise change at all and in what direction does it become quieter and noisier??

This will sound stupid and will leave alo of people stumped but once the car is warm it's as smooth as a new car!

Mk3 306, 2.0 litre HDi
Thanks given by:
yes, but what about when its not, and weaving ?
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2016, 06:27 AM)MattDanPug Wrote:
(24-09-2016, 08:34 PM)pug306driver Wrote: on a straight smooth road with no traffic, gently weave form side to side, does the noise change at all and in what direction does it become quieter and noisier??

This will sound stupid and will leave alo of people stumped but once the car is warm it's as smooth as a new car!

Which is why I think it's a bearing issue. Jack up the car and examine the wheels. Without actually looking at what has been recommended to do there is not much anyone can eliminate. 

We need to know what you find when you do it :Smile

A worn bearing when cold will result it - rough rotation and play in the wheel. 

**remember if/when you jack the back of the car up, to securely chock the front wheels, and release the handbrake when the wheels are in the air, as if the handbrake is on you will not be able to rotate wheels nor will you be able to feel for play **
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
I have managed to hear it properly this morning and it sounds louder when I turn left (but only really able to hear it when turning say 90 degrees) I'm sure my brakes are slightly binding to as I think they have worn out too.

Mk3 306, 2.0 litre HDi
Thanks given by:
I've had the car jacked up and spun the wheels, they run free. After being brushed off previously being told I was stupid when I said about sticking brakes I was proved right. Rear brake was sticking... shock. Beat it with a hammer ad it's freed up!

Mk3 306, 2.0 litre HDi
Thanks given by:
When my car went in for a pre-motor check the garage mechanic looked over the car and was quite stumped until he checked one last thing which was the rear axle bushes (He has said in all his time of being a mechanical he has never had to change these) I'm yet to change them but once I get round to it i'll post an update as to whether or not it was these!

Mk3 306, 2.0 litre HDi
Thanks given by:
Still got the problem then i take it? Have you tried rebuilding that sticky caliper properly? If not it'll generally keep sticking until you do.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Caliper has also been done, forgot to mention that bit. Going to get the axle bushes sorted next month and with any luck it will cure it, if not its back to the start.

Mk3 306, 2.0 litre HDi
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rumble! Kezzieboy 12 1,239 02-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Kezzieboy
  Loss of handbrake and braking feel last faint LewisG306 4 1,428 11-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Last Post: darrenjlobb
  Squeaky Brakes LewisG 1 829 05-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Last Post: daddyfixit