Power steering pump gone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power steering pump gone?
Getting a horrible groaning/grinding sound coming from the engine bay when steering. Car is a 2000 GTi6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xg-EMwIIT8

It only does it at about 85-100% lock turning right, and more turning left. Only when stationary or at very low speed, ie carpark. The actual performance of the steering seems unaffected and there's no vibration or anything through the wheel, it's just making that horrific noise! The noise speeds up with RPM as the engine load increases so I'm fairly confident the sound is coming from the pump itself. The fluid level is okay and not that old. The ram and its related parts were completely overhauled when I bought her 3yrs ago so I wouldn't think that's cactus already.

Any suggestions before I go out and by a new pump?
Thanks given by:
Unscrew the power steering reservoir cap. There's a magnet on the bottom to pick up any swarf. A little bit is normal (well I've always had a little bit), how much is on yours?
Thanks given by:
Ahh magnet would explain why it was strangely gunky. I don't know how much is normal but it had enough on it to blacken up a rag when I looked at it the other day. My last service was done at a different place than what I used to go to and I wasn't too happy with the work (plastered their stickers on the rear window without asking, changed oil from synth to a semi and it's been a bit sluggish on cold starts ever since). Maybe they did a lazy tank-only flush of the fluid, or didn't do it at all. :\
Thanks given by:
blimmey, i can feel the vibes thru the laptop!!
Thanks given by:
Not sounding too healthy is it? Sad

Still not sure if I should drop $200~ on a new pump from ebay (I'm in Aus) or try my luck with a used one from a wrecker for $50. The wrecker method does have the benefit of practicing the job without consequence should I stuff it up Big Grin
Thanks given by:
get the 50 one from the breaker then you can strip down the oe pump at your leaisure, much play in the old pump pulley suggesting a bad bearing?? send pics of the strip down of the pump, would be interesting.
Thanks given by:
Looks like a new pump it is. Only decent wrecker nearby had two 306s advertised, a hatch that's been there for months and a cab that arrived 2wks ago. Could only find the hatch - entire engine already gone. The staff said if the cab isn't there they've already crushed it and someone forgot to update the records :\ Why they'd crush a new (and intact from photos) car yet leave a hollowed-out shell on the grounds for months is beyond me...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power Steering Pump, All The Same? bigcheez2k3 14 3,931 20-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: vento85
  Power steering rack.....replacement options Jellomanpie 9 3,382 30-04-2020, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Power Sterering Ram/ Steering damper pugfrank 6 3,054 08-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Last Post: pugfrank