Tom's Nile GTi6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom's Nile GTi6
You really should get the snapped ARB bolt sorted as it'll handle like a sack of potatoes with effectively no rear ARB.

It shouldn't cost much to get someone to do as it's not a particularly difficult or time-consuming job.

FFS don't try using an easy-out on it and snap that in there though, otherwise you're in for a whole world of pain getting it sorted.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Well I know have bigger issues, gear link snapped on a roundabout. Now waiting for RAC. Sad
Thanks given by:
Not good Tom, let us know how you get on Smile
Thanks given by:
If you're near-ish home, just manually put it in 3rd gear by reaching down the back of the gearbox and drive back.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Home now, was a bit panicky earlier but now on the loo so all good haha.

Basically the clutch started dragging badly and pulling me onto a busy roubdabout. I wrenched it of gear, but then tried to get it back in and the knob went floppy. Couldn't push it uphill and no other driver stopped to help despite bonnet open and hazards on. Few minutes later a guy came walking up and helped me push it back down the hill and onto a 3 inch kerb lol. Again no one stopped to let us get across, ignorant bastards.

Called RAC who said an hour lead time...my stomach didn't like that so I had to run to sainsburys, FML.

Came back out and it'd cooled down enough to get an arm by the mani. The long linkage had come off (rubber separated) and the ball had come out as well (did it well lol). Got that back on, started up again and it was stupidly stiff to get in gear still but not dragging. Put it in 2nd and left it there as long as possible...until I had to pull in for a huge 4x4 and the linkage came off again. Back on, then 2nd most of the way home, started dragging again on the last roundabout but didn't matter as I blasted across before a doddery old guy on my right. Back into my car park, couldn't get out of 2nd and dragging like f*ck, tried to pull it out and the linkage came off again. Linkage back on, started in reverse and that's where it'll sit for the foreseeable future lol.

So yeah, clutch was f*cked, as are the links now. Confused

Broken

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Starting to wonder if I should cut my losses with this car now. What do we reckon it's worth as is?

Seems pointless spending ~£150 on a clutch kit, linkages and associated parts when there are still several problems and no belt change proof. It's not going to add £150 of value and it'll still have rough looking wheels and a crap bumper which is the first thing buyers will spot anyway. Be ideal for someone that wants a long term 'appreciating' project but that's not what I was after. Is it worth anywhere near a grand?
Thanks given by:
Just get it fixed mate. Its only just the summer and you won't find a tidier one!
Thanks given by:
As above Tom, get it fixed, you seem to be driving it quite a bit recently, so you must be enjoying it Smile with the few things it needs, you wont get any more than 1k for it, and obviously none of the money youve spent on it so far either, so if you can afford to I agree with Sam Smile
There isnt many 306's that dont have any problems/need work done to them these days, so if you want one, make it a good one and keep it, thats what ive done Smile
Thanks given by:
I can't see you getting more than £800 for it needing a clutch, linkages, potentially belt, as well as needing to be trailered away.
Thanks given by:
Who was it geeing you up to do a clutch change yourself last week JJ?
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
Hmm can't think, was it tims309 or someone?
Thanks given by:
You know im mani atm tom but when i calm down i can lend a hand for you be a few weeks though
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
If no rush.. Start doing those jobs yourself. Bit by bit.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I've got no problem physically changing the clutch, if it was Sam's and he was paying for parts I'd be straight over to do it lol. It's justifying the money on this.

I know I'll lose on it now, but I haven't got the budget to sort all of the problems anyway. If I pay for the clutch stuff that'll be it. Don't forget I don't get money replenished each month in my situation, (well I do, but that's for necessities like food, there's no spare for stuff like this contrary to belief lol) there is a set budget for 6 months of GTi6 ownership and that's that. It won't be worth more than a grand with no belt proof in a few months time anyway, so if it's not far off that now I may as well cut my losses.

Quick run down of the problems in the order they're f*cking me off at the moment -

Needs a clutch and linkages ~£150 in parts
Needs cabin perma-heat fixed as I came back dripping in sweat yesterday - maybe panel which is hopefully in the post, but may not! £10+?
Needs a door handle ~£10
Needs rear arch liners to stop the boot getting soaked every time I got out in the rain ~£No idea?
Needs snapped rear ARB bolt removed - Don't even know how it should be, let alone who can do it?
Needs at least 2 tyres ~£80 fitted
Needs tracked - rear is too low though ~£35
MAY need a cambelt and pump change, I have no idea if it was changed or not, but I can't risk it snapping and leaving me stranded after yesterday ~£100

Less urgent -

Think we damaged the exhaust twatting it up the kerb at speed yesterday, sounds odd now but not sure where the blow is or if we damaged baffles - £No idea
Major oil leaks around the engine, one between block and box, either input shaft seal or crank seal - ~£10? Cam cover seals are leaking, vac pump/seal is leaking, possibly others.
A lot of engine movement - I haven't dared to look at the engine mount cup as I'm fairly sure its snapped, but if not then at least the two top mounts need changing - ~£50
Lowering springs haven't been fitted to struts correctly leaving movement in the top cup, not sure if that's any more than an annoyance
Heavy judder moving off with wheels turned - may be rectified by the clutch but more likely a driveshaft.
Drivers window judders like mad on the downstroke and rattles when down, have tried lubing the runner which hasn't done anything so I guess a clip has broken? £Few
Passengers window wrong way round on the switch, needs wires swapped over
Electric mirrors don't work at all which is more hassle than I expected - probably door loom as boot has been cut open by someone.
Drivers seat doesn't slide at all now I've locked it with a bolt - will be an MOT fail
Passenger wing mirror cap is smashed
Front bumper has a major crunch that's beyond repair
Cyclones need a refurb
Gearknob leather has been ripped off
Steering wheel is rough
Theres a wood screw in the stat housing
Alarm ultrasonics removed as faulty
Few golf ball sized dents on bodywork
Rear wiper blade torn off
Front washer jet blocked
Beam needs raising
Fuel pump relay broken
Battery box broken

Think that's everything. Confused Yes, I massively over paid for it, my fault entirely. I think it'd make a good GTi6 conversion for someone though, despite the leaks, no history bar one oil change and a few thousand miles of defilter, the engine itself seems to be a good one. Seats are all good alcantara inc drivers. Brakes are good. It has a full tank (less about 25 miles) of Tesco Momentum.. That's about it though!
Thanks given by:
Thats probably a similar list to most peoples 306s. Ive got the linkages off the rallye you can have for free if that helps. Bash should be able to help with the ARB bolt might just have to put it through his work not a mates job etc.
Thanks given by:
You're probably right, and if I'd paid ~£700 for it then fair enough, but as I paid extra believing this one to have had the belt done (I wasn't made aware of the lack of paperwork until it was too late) and that it was all good and ready to go except a few cosmetic issues I just don't have the budget to do it now.

I won't be replacing it with another one.
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2016, 09:58 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I won't be replacing it with another one.

you said that last time Wink

have you got room off road?
if so sorn it and lift the engine out to do all the work it will be a lot easier
just do it over time saves throwing a big wadge of money at it in one go

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Youve not got proof that it hasnt had the belt done, and you havent got proof it hasnt been done. Have you had a look and seen if its good or not? I know its not as good as having the proof but its one less thing to worry about.
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2016, 10:14 AM)cully Wrote:
(07-05-2016, 09:58 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I won't be replacing it with another one.

you said that last time Wink

have you got room off road?
if so sorn it and lift the engine out to do all the work it will be a lot easier
just do it over time saves throwing a big wadge of money at it in one go

I'm aware of what I said, more than once lol. I'm not saying I'd never have another, but what I mean is I don't want a swap with another right now.

It's off the road but I can't be pulling engines out in the flats car park. Just doing the clutch would be a bit risky here tbh. Haven't had any complaints so far but don't want to push my luck lol.

As I say though, it doesn't make any difference whether I pay it all in one or not, the money going into this isn't being replaced. Plus I was only planning to keep it on the road until the tax ran out, bit of a waste having it off the road for a while during that time.

(07-05-2016, 10:15 AM)Eeyore Wrote: Youve not got proof that it hasnt had the belt done, and you havent got proof it hasnt been done. Have you had a look and seen if its good or not? I know its not as good as having the proof but its one less thing to worry about.

I agree, but I've seen the state of the crank pulley, and the aux belt doesn't look as good as I first thought so I've got my doubts now. I don't think you can 'really' tell how good a cambelt is just by peering in through the top cover anyway though, it wouldn't settle my doubts. Truth is yesterday made me realise just how bad things get and how quickly when things do go wrong. Yes, the Focus could have a major failure (though if its the turbo I'll whip off the boost pipe and drive it home NA) but I feel like I'm just tempting fate with the 306 now. I wouldn't feel I could rely on it without a brand new clutch, solid links with non-popping off clips and the belt and w/pump done at the very least.

I've got 2 options now, neither of which is keeping it, just need to know which would be more financially viable.

1. Sell it now, as is.

2. Bang a new clutch in and replace just the broken linkage, no new bushes, mounts or seals. (Sub £100, less if I use a 2nd hand clutch), chuck on the cheapest door handle I can find in any colour and then sell it driveable and openable.
Thanks given by:
2 is not going to happen as you will break the other two linkages when removing the box

you should be able to get a new clutch for 60-80£ buy watching ebay and searching using partnumbers Wink
i got my New genuine clutch for £60 delivered

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Valeo kit is only £85 delivered from cp4l anyway, or £65 for a Transmech which is tempting.

The short linkages don't tend to break if you can get a 13mm spanner under them, might just cable tie them back on anyway lol, seen it done a few times before.

If anyone on here is genuinely interested in buying it, either pre or post clutch replacement, drop me a PM, I would do the clutch stuff 'properly' if there's interest on here. Smile
Thanks given by:
Unfortunately Tom your going to lose out whether you keep or sell, the little bits wont cost too much to sort out or take too much time, how much do you think it will cost you to get it all sorted? Most things look fairly cheap, other than the cambelt/pump and clutch/gear linkages, so if you can afford to and enjoy the car enough, id say do the main bits now (clutch/belt/pump) then do the non essential things when you have the money/time bit by bit, if not then sell it on (although with all the faults you wont get much for it), unfortunately 306s, especially GTI6's, cost a decent amount to keep going at the age they are now.
Thanks given by:
I'd put the work in and keep it. It's not much really. Just the typical niggles of owning a French car
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Do the work Tom, it'll be worth it as you or someone else can then drive it

As it sits, looks like a £500 car. Anyone interested is going to price up a clutch and cambelt at the most expensive price and then knock it off.

Work on it over next few weeks, bit by bit
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2016, 01:44 PM)MY95 Wrote: Unfortunately Tom your going to lose out whether you keep or sell, the little bits wont cost too much to sort out or take too much time, how much do you think it will cost you to get it all sorted? Most things look fairly cheap, other than the cambelt/pump and clutch/gear linkages, so if you can afford to and enjoy the car enough, id say do the main bits now (clutch/belt/pump) then do the non essential things when you have the money/time bit by bit, if not then sell it on (although with all the faults you wont get much for it), unfortunately 306s, especially GTI6's, cost a decent amount to keep going at the age they are now.

You're right, which is why I think I'm best just cutting my losses now instead of prolonging it lol.

As I say, I won't be getting any extra money for it so it makes no difference whether I do it all now or spread it out, and time isn't an issue as I have that surplus.

Cost to buy just a new clutch kit and ph2 door handle - £80

Cost to do the clutch properly (clutch kit, gear links, diff seals, fork bushes, 'box mount) - £155 plus crank or input seal depending on which is leaking. Cost to buy the cambelt, pump, aux belt and coolant - £100 I haven't got the funds to do those things let alone anything else.

Minds made up now, going to remove the ISOfix and sell that for some extra funds. Then just bang in the cheapest clutch I can find, stick a door handle on and chuck it on gumtree.

If I'm lucky someone might even swap a Golf for it. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Anyone with a 306 should know what's going on here! Dodgy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Sounds like a good plan Tom, sort the little interior bits out too as it would look a lot better to a prospective buyer Smile Just don't by another GTI6 Tom! lol And definitely no golfs! aha, should just get the Focus remapped (unless you have already? cant quite remember.... busy times with exams) But yes im sure someone with a golf would do a swap, seems a lot more common now people doing so!
Thanks given by:
In all seriousness, I probably will get something VAG in its place...each to their own at the end of the day! Smile

Focus is already mapped, but it just hasn't got the capacity or a big enough turbo or injectors for decent power/torque, its just over a stage 1+ HDi but with a load more weight. Don't get me wrong, its a brilliant daily (though I'd prefer the 2.0 in it) but it just doesn't have enough pull or a noise to stop me browsing around for something stupid for weekends lol.

Have done a few 'free' fixes to the '6 today, will update with pics later. Clutch is also ordered, genuine Valeo for £73 posted.
Thanks given by:
Fair dos, exactly! I have been looking at the 1.8T 180 Golfs Tom..... oops did I say Golf and I may like them Tom lol If only the 306 had the same engine and build quality! But im not a fan of the interiors, and just the looks of them scream middle/old aged, or boy racer down McDonalds. And they still cost quite a bit for what they are tbh!
Sounds good re focus, don't they map to 140 but without much more torque?
Looking forward to the updates, defo now set on selling it?
Thanks given by:
The 180 Golfs aren't all that common unfortunately, mostly 150bhp 1.8t's, but anythings better than the 2.0 lol. Funny you say that about the looks though, that's how I see 306s! lol I never said I was looking at Golfs though...could be anything VAG... Wink

Yeah the Focus is 140bhp/285Nm. Be alright in the Fiesta but it just can't tug the heavy Focus as quick as I'd like. Plus MPG is rubbish. I might as well have gone for the 2.0, same power without the remap (and extra insurance premium due to the remap!), almost the same MPG, less common faults, rear discs and 17"s as standard... Only downside is the tax is like £100 more per year.

Yes, will still be selling the '6, but I've got a tank of petrol to use before it goes hence fixing a few more things haha. Big Grin

Now uploading pics so will update this on topic shortly lol...
Thanks given by: