Tom's Nile GTi6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom's Nile GTi6
So yeah, I kinda have a GTi6 again... Had been 14 months without but have relapsed lol.

One or two of you know it, most probably saw it on ebay and laughed at the asking price.

118k 1998 GTi6 - years MOT, cambelt done, chassis rail rust done, heater matrix done, brakes changed all round, drivers seat retrimmed etc, etc, etc. Standard except lowering, aftermarket exhaust and stereo.

It's a long way from perfect though, for a pedant like me anyway. Wink Will list the bad points later. This is as it was dropped off, done almost nothing to it yet.

[Image: IMG_20160415_164459877_zps4ybjq7gq.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160415_164506592_zpsvcctddii.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160415_164514289_zpsmdjibcum.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160415_164557651_HDR_zpsc1exdze9.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160415_164605921_HDR_zpsdqnfxehe.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160415_164634350_zpsep0xt7av.jpg]

Few pics of bad areas -

Snorkel completely missing, but most importantly, no filter in there!! Confused Have bought a new filter today.

[Image: IMG_20160415_164640313_HDR_zpson1pen7r.jpg]

Loose radiator as both top springs have broken, need to cable tie in. Half arsed attempt at fixing the grill needs some clips as well.

[Image: IMG_20160415_164648514_zpsihq7c1ts.jpg]

Presumably during matrix change someone managed to break both vents somehow

[Image: IMG_20160415_164942807_HDR_zpsodu1tav2.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160415_164952000_HDR_zpsohe4ax97.jpg]

Other bad points include -

Damaged front bumper
Snapped drivers door handle
50 profile budgets on the front wheels which look ridiculous
Drivers window judders on the way down but not up
Electric mirrors don't work at all, possibly the switch or door loom
New brakes squeal like hell
Seat locking issues (other thread)
Clutch feels awful but doesn't slip, will take the spring off the pedal
No splitter
Tried rear wiper and the stalk collapsed in my hand
Permanent O2 sensor fault on PP2K but no EML on
Alarm kept going off (fixed with cullys help I think)

There's probably more than that, but it's mostly cheap fixes and nothing major. Engine sounds great, not a tapper and idles more smoothly than the Focus! And the beam seems good as well, albeit a bit low for me.

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Looks great tom, are you going to run this about, a long side the focus? If you are going to keep it off the road, for a bit, put it on sorn. Make sure that you can leave it where it is 1st on a sorn, as DVLA are a right bastard for clamping and removing cars!
Thanks given by:
looks good man! come see me at the workshop and we will sort what we can for you Smile also when you come to sell this at some point think of me Wink
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
that looks nice and clean from the outside

wondered when id see a thread up
Smile

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Its so pretty! I should have the replacement vents and the wiper stalk. Come and get them at the weekend Big Grin

And the snorkel you can borrow when I fit my bodies.
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2016, 07:26 PM)procta Wrote: Looks great tom, are you going to run this about, a long side the focus? If you are going to keep it off the road, for a bit, put it on sorn. Make sure that you can leave it where it is 1st on a sorn, as DVLA are a right bastard for clamping and removing cars!

Its a private car park so no probs there. Will be insured and taxed soon though, will give it 6 months and then either sell it or store off-road over winter. Smile

(15-04-2016, 07:29 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: looks good man! come see me at the workshop and we will sort what we can for you Smile also when you come to sell this at some point think of me Wink

May do when its on the road lol! Big Grin

(15-04-2016, 07:32 PM)cully Wrote: that looks nice and clean from the outside

wondered when id see a thread up
Smile

Bodywork isn't mint tbh, there are a few dings but nothing too major. Will give it a proper clean up once it's got a door handle lol.

(15-04-2016, 07:50 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Its so pretty! I should have the replacement vents and the wiper stalk. Come and get them at the weekend Big Grin

And the snorkel you can borrow when I fit my bodies.

Yep, will do! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Got a snorkel going if you need
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
Feel free to PM me a price for it Ben, only trying to do urgent or free things this month though lol. Smile
Thanks given by:
Nile looks great. Do like it polished...better than china imho.

So...fcs then tom?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2016, 07:45 AM)Piggy Wrote: Nile looks great. Do like it polished...better than china imho.

So...fcs then tom?

Back in the day my mate had a Nile 1.8 XS when I was going through all the chinas and diablos, I've always liked the colour in person, just doesn't seem to take a decent picture.

FCS won't be happening I'm afraid, even if it did, I'd take the Focus for a trip like that! lol It will be going to local retro meets and maybe a few local shows though. Smile
Thanks given by:
I also prefer it to China, bit different.

Good effort Tom. They're appreciating now too.

See you at some local shows then!
Thanks given by:
Looks nice Tom, a good project! I actually really like the colour, Looking for a GTI6 myself, big question is... how much was it? :p Smile
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2016, 11:10 PM)MY95 Wrote: Looks nice Tom, a good project! I actually really like the colour, Looking for a GTI6 myself, big question is... how much was it? :p Smile

Original asking price was £1600. I got it down to £1200 delivered with 3/4s tank of fuel. The previous owner broke the door handle on the way over so knocked another £50 off. £1150.

Not cheap, but compared to the moonstone I was also watching, that was £620, would've cost ~£200 delivery charge, needed a beam, brake caliper(s), drivers seat, cambelt change, MOT...plus whatever else the seller hadn't listed! Looking at like £1350 plus for one in a colour I don't even like lol.
Thanks given by:
Good stuff Tom, are we gonna persuade you to come to Pugfest?
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2016, 08:06 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(16-04-2016, 11:10 PM)MY95 Wrote: Looks nice Tom, a good project! I actually really like the colour, Looking for a GTI6 myself, big question is... how much was it? :p Smile

Original asking price was £1600.  I got it down to £1200 delivered with 3/4s tank of fuel.  The previous owner broke the door handle on the way over so knocked another £50 off.  £1150.

Not cheap, but compared to the moonstone I was also watching, that was £620, would've cost ~£200 delivery charge, needed a beam, brake caliper(s), drivers seat, cambelt change, MOT...plus whatever else the seller hadn't listed!  Looking at like £1350 plus for one in a colour I don't even like lol.

Fair enough! That's quite a price you paid, never mind the asking price! That's quite handy knocking another £50 off aha, does look good though....

Im looking at buying a blaze yellow one... never liked the colour in the past but it looks different and a bit special I think compared to the standard colours most people have!

As Dumdum said, if you can manage it you should meet us all at Pugfest Smile rather than being mostly a keyboard warrior and not coming to any of the big ones Tongue lol
Thanks given by:
You bought it of Shane? Lives a few miles from me only had it about a month I reckon

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2016, 12:01 PM)MY95 Wrote: Fair enough! That's quite a price you paid, never mind the asking price! That's quite handy knocking another £50 off aha, does look good though....

Im looking at buying a blaze yellow one... never liked the colour in the past but it looks different and a bit special I think compared to the standard colours most people have!

As Dumdum said, if you can manage it you should meet us all at Pugfest Smile rather than being mostly a keyboard warrior and not coming to any of the big ones Tongue lol

Blaze should be cheaper at least, it's horrible imo. lol I don't think the price was too bad considering what's been done tbh. Depends if any hidden nasties come up!

I won't be going to any major shows as I've said above lol. I like being a keyboard warrior, I'm much more boring in real life. Tongue

(17-04-2016, 12:18 PM)Mole man Wrote: You bought it of Shane? Lives a few miles from me only had it about a month I reckon

Yeah that's him, I saw you were 'friends' on facebook. Bit of a bullshitter I think lol. lol
Thanks given by:
Was gonna say I've just realised its the one that was on Swaps. He's got a Leon and a Corrado for swap too.. Certainly hasn't had it for years like the advert said unless I'm thinking of a different one!

Have you got proof the work he says has been done has actually been done?
Thanks given by:
Ohh yes one of the best at bullshit he was crazing me for months everyday to sell mine to him lol but it sounds like a good car regardless anyway mate!

Thanks given by:
(17-04-2016, 01:51 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Was gonna say I've just realised its the one that was on Swaps. He's got a Leon and a Corrado for swap too.. Certainly hasn't had it for years like the advert said unless I'm thinking of a different one!

Have you got proof the work he says has been done has actually been done?

Yeah I know lol, he wasn't even good at bullshitting, but then I suppose you can't bullshit a bullshitter! Wink lol I had been messaging him for a few days to trip him up a few times before agreeing to it haha.

I have got proof of almost all of the work done, but not in his name or near him lol. Only thing I can't find a receipt for is the cambelt unfortunately, the aux belt looks fairly new though so it probably has been done but I'll whip the cover off at some point. The work had cost someone over £700 (excluding some parts the owner had bought as well!) last year...but was done by a shit garage, how you can break so much doing a matrix change and fit brake pads without any grease so they squeal like hell is beyond me! The welding patch on the chassis rail is also laughable but does seem to be solid at least.

(17-04-2016, 01:52 PM)Mole man Wrote: Ohh yes one of the best at bullshit he was crazing me for months everyday to sell mine to him lol but it sounds like a good car regardless anyway mate!

Yeah, the engine and beam seem good which is the important part really. Have been digging around this morning and found a few more issues but nothing major. Will update with pics later. Smile
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2016, 01:45 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(17-04-2016, 12:01 PM)MY95 Wrote: Fair enough! That's quite a price you paid, never mind the asking price! That's quite handy knocking another £50 off aha, does look good though....

Blaze should be cheaper at least, it's horrible imo. lol  I don't think the price was too bad considering what's been done tbh.  Depends if any hidden nasties come up!

I won't be going to any major shows as I've said above lol.  I like being a keyboard warrior, I'm much more boring in real life. Tongue
Just found it on swapz.....
http://www.swapz.co.uk/swapz/5804935/Peu...bike_cars/

Im sure if everyone brought you a beer Tom you wouldn't be boring Wink
Hoping to get it quite cheap and get a few bits sorted out, its on mega low miles too.
Whats your plan with this one then? Please say your keeping it, and keeping it longer than the last one defo :p
Thanks given by:
Swap value 2k+ lol.

I don't drink... Told you I was boring. Wink

I'm not keeping it forever lol, probably 6 months, it's just something for summer really. Smile

Picture

CBA with photo bucket this evening so theres a pic... Will write up progress later.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
So, many things happened today... Thanks to Sam for a few parts yesterday!

Swapped wheels front to rear, now have the 55s on the front and 50s on the rear which levels the ride so it looks slightly less ridiculous (I hate 50 profiles haha).

Painted brake calipers in Gold as I had some lying around. Not to everyones taste but idc lol.

Put plenty of Cera-Tec on the totally dry new pads (wtf??) so now they no longer scream. Cable tied the brake cable/pipe bracket on the strut as that had been left hanging. Lost one of the anti rattle clips when refitting the rears though, will that matter do we think? It pinged off up North somewhere never to be seen again lol.

Found out there are no rear arch liners! And the boot carpet is wet! So ripped out the trim to find a good solid rear arch. Phew... lol Turns out it's coming in further back, through the plastic caps where the side bumper bolts are, not much I can do about that unless I find some liners, dried out the boot for now anyway.

Fitted a splitter

Fitted an air filter!

Cable tied top of rad in.

Cable tied grill in.

Removed slack from accelerator cable.

Checked oil - very clean, has only done about 2k since it's last change.

Someone had fitted a new hockey stick clip wrong so I refitted that, no more loose stick.

Pulled the vents out and found someone just hadn't pushed them back into the ducts properly! So only needed to replace the 'face' on the passenger side one, then push both ducts in properly.

'Fixed' the slipping drivers seat with a random screw.

Was given two of those odd heater dial bulbs by the seller as neither worked...stripped down the dash, replaced them...and they still don't work lol. Oh well, they'll stay broken. I ended up dropping a part of the dials under the front centre console so had to remove all of that to retrieve it...found 2 of those little under-handbrake rectangles under there lol.

Tried a new mirror switch but no luck, they still don't work so I'll just push them into place once and leave it, not doing bloody door loom just for a mirror...if the window or cl stop then I will. Found out the passenger side window has been wired in wrong...you have to push up to get it down and vice versa! lol

Replaced the wiper stalk, and the rear wiper and rear wash wipe work, yay. Front washer only have 2 sprays on the screen, one doesn't work at all and the other cleaned my neighbours screen lol. Might put some mist jets on eventually.

Removed the clutch pedal spring, hasn't made a huge difference but the clutch will feel crap compared to the Focus one I guess lol.

Blower motor squealed like a bugger so tried dropping that out with limited tools...couldn't get access to the front bolt (could've sworn there were only 3, didn't remember the 4th!) so just pulled that as far down as I could and sprayed some WD40 in the motors general direction, I know it'll dry out eventually but it's silent again for now!

Checked bulbs, have a front fog and front dipped bulb out (only passed MOT last month!), not fussed about the fog and hopefully have a spare H7 for the dipped.

So, yeah, got a lot done today!! Hoping to take it to the retro meet on Wednesday if it's insured by then. Confused

Next job is most definitely the door handle as not having one is extremely annoying lol.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a productive car day Tom Smile Its amazing how handy cable ties are lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I don't like using them really, but gotta realise it'll never be perfect again and if I can do something for free, I might as well! lol
Thanks given by:
Just found this thread. Looks pretty good ! Subscribed now
Thanks given by:
Sounds good pal...cracking on!
Rear anti rattle clips..which bit you mean?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(18-04-2016, 06:15 AM)Piggy Wrote: Sounds good pal...cracking on!
Rear anti rattle clips..which bit you mean?

Those roughly 'P' shaped clips on the rear pads. Not the securing bar clip.
Thanks given by:
ah you your on about the spring clips that lay across the top edge of the pad!
yes they work ok without them but like you say may rattle squeel

good progress tom Smile

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Good progress mate. Glad to see some of my old parts helped!
Thanks given by: