Dum-Dum's WRX Wagon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dum-Dum's WRX Wagon
I saw this shed advertised on ebay for just shy of two grand, the listing expired with nobody having bought and I knewthat was my time to go and offer sensible money.

After some hardcore grade haggling I agreed a far more realistic price of £1300 and went and laid out the reddies

I drove her out of the site and round the corner where me and a buddy spent just shy of an hour making her look a little more roadworthy and fitting a Japspeed induction kit as the airbox was cracked.

Got her home and this weekend started straightening her out as the main structural bit of the chassis leg isn't bent

Headlight and new wing now sit perfectly on the chassis

I'd sadly painted the new wing the wrong colour due to ordering the wrong paint but managed to get the door straightened out a little and covered the bare metal with a little paint till I can find a door in the right colour.

And I cable tied the cracks in the bumper together till I get the right paint to paint the new bumper I have here.

Thanks given by:
This is already amazing lmao
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
While fixing the damage I decided to fit a FMIC for a later power upgrade and so that I can put on a non vented and less "look at me" bonnet. Many shinies came in the post, this kit appears identical to the Japspeed FMIC kit but was over £100 cheaper.

Got to work starting fitting it when it arrived in the post

You know it isn't gonna be a fun day when you have to make one of these tools. I had to cut off a bracket on the fan cowling as it fouled the FMIC pipe.

Got a splitter dump valve for more noise because I am a massive chav, had a little bit of a bodge to get it to meet the old pipe.

Kit all fitted

And the car looking awesome, needs a couple of clips put in once I get it up in the air tomorrow. Gonna have to get the STi covers for the fog light holes as alot of the fog light support had to go because of the intercooler pipes.

Thanks given by:
#pikeywagon
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Ive got spare sti side bonnet vent sitting around if you lend us your arch puller.
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2016, 07:40 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: #chavvypikeywagon

EFA ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You know what? Nothing surprises me any more
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Awsome mate

Can't wait to see where this goes and be great to see you sneak it on track a fcs Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2016, 07:43 PM)impotentials Wrote: Ive got spare sti side bonnet vent sitting around if you lend us your arch puller.
No thanks, as above the bonnet is staying un vented for the stealth look as the vent is now largely pointless with the FMIC. It is a shame that the unvented bonnets are steel unlike the WRXs ally one.

(12-04-2016, 08:40 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(12-04-2016, 07:40 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: #chavvypikeywagon

EFA ThumbsUp
And what!

(12-04-2016, 09:50 PM)Niall Wrote: You know what? Nothing surprises me any more
Yeah, this is all kinds of awesome though Rofl

(12-04-2016, 09:50 PM)7057sam Wrote: Awsome mate

Can't wait to see where this goes and be great to see you sneak it on track a fcs Smile

Well I did book hill runs at pugfest while I still had a peugeot so whatever I buy next will no doubt be tearing up the hill LOL.
I do intend on buying track time for FCS
Thanks given by:
Well at least I won't have the chavviest car on the FCS stand this year
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:

amen.

Removes bonnet scoop as doesnt want to appear pikey chav.... adds massive dump valve for more noise....
Thanks given by:
Having had an impreza i can tell you its damn addictive lol

Also wiping the smile of most evo drivers faces when its a properly tuned impreza is just fecking priceless Wink
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2016, 10:29 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Well at least I won't have the chavviest car on the FCS stand this year
Why, are you not bringing the Rover?

(12-04-2016, 10:47 PM)Eeyore Wrote:

amen.

Removes bonnet scoop as doesnt want to appear pikey chav.... adds massive dump valve for more noise....
Man logic mate.
You'd understand if you were a bloke.

(13-04-2016, 08:19 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Having had an impreza i can tell you its damn addictive lol

Also wiping the smile of most evo drivers faces when its a properly tuned impreza is just fecking priceless Wink
Yeah man, utterly grin inducing even just driving to the shops at sensible speeds.

It really does live up to it's reputation for understeer on the limit though, I've heard a STI rear ARB will help solve that. I don't think the cheap tyres help mind.
Thanks given by:
Yes Broooooo! This is my type of project. Big Grin

Dents, hammers, bodges, FMIC, powerrrrr!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
getting it set upo to PPP geometry will help lots, Curtis at AST set up AdamB's old late classic and it was very different, he added whiteline wishbone bushes too.

From what I remember driving it like FWD and doing the old liftoff gets the nose in and you basically point and plant it and the 4wd fires you out of the bend.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Subaru has a good power split front/rear so driving it like a fwd works well Smile Mines was proven 336bhp classic shape and was so chuckable the ass would try overtake the front driving it like fwd before any understeer!
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2016, 10:56 AM)silverzx Wrote: Yes Broooooo! This is my type of project. Big Grin

Dents, hammers, bodges, FMIC, powerrrrr!
I should have known you'd approve.

(13-04-2016, 11:24 AM)welshpug Wrote: getting it set upo to PPP geometry will help lots, Curtis at AST set up AdamB's old late classic and it was very different, he added whiteline wishbone bushes too.

From what I remember driving it like FWD and doing the old liftoff gets the nose in and you basically point and plant it and the 4wd fires you out of the bend.
Yeah cornering is a bit different. Tend to have go go a bit slower into the corner and maybe apex a little earlier but I'm on the power much earlier on the way out.

(13-04-2016, 11:54 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Subaru has a good power split front/rear so driving it like a fwd works well Smile Mines was proven 336bhp classic shape and was so chuckable the ass would try overtake the front driving it like fwd before any understeer!
330bhp would be a good number Smile
Thanks given by:
It was certainly fun but the fuel bill was simply f*cking rediculous!!
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(14-04-2016, 08:34 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: It was certainly fun but the fuel bill was simply f*cking rediculous!!

Yeah I just topped up the tank and I haven't been driving particularly quickly and It was barely over 20mpg

I think the dump valve is gonna be replaced with a pure recirculating one of a larger bore as this one is massively reducing response immediately after a gear change.

That said dump valve noises are awesome Smile
Thanks given by:
Could always buy one of those fake dump valves, all the noise without ruining the drive... Tongue
Thanks given by:
Mine was straight back on the power with every gearchange, perhaps your expecting a little bit too much from your turbo?
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(14-04-2016, 11:06 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Mine was straight back on the power with every gearchange, perhaps your expecting a little bit too much from your turbo?

Nah it's definitely not as good on the aftermarket valve as it was on the OEM dump valve.
Thanks given by:
Just bung it up and get some chatter going Chris.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
The Scooby is going well, towed almost half a tonne of scrap like it wasn't even there (hadn't realised it's unbraked towing weight was only 500kg oops)

Treated her to a shiny exhaust. It is basically a Japspeed full 3" system with no cats (there are 4 standard). Japspeed sell Toyosports systems at a big mark up and Toyosports sell these at a mark up so I saved a fair chunk of money. It's got a 4.5" tail pipe with a removable noise reducing bung.

I had a massive fight to remove the standard up-pipe (the pipe that runs between the manifold and the turbo). It needed 6 heat shields removing plus loads of pipework, brackets and part of the steering column but I'm glad I did as not only does it have a cat in it that if it breaks down will destroy the turbo but it was 39mm in and 40mm out compared to the aftermarket one which has a 60mm inlet and 54mm outlet Smile

You can tell the quality Chinese build quality of the exhaust here. That bracket is over an inch away from the hole it's supposed to line up to and not even in line. That photo is taken after I'd spent ages trying to bend it to fit.

Anyway after getting all the front exhaust bits back together decided to fit my silicone inlet hose to replace the standard corrugated plastic one, apparently worth a tiny bit of power top end but mainly for shiny value. Got all the pipes disconnected and found that the old one was held on with a 6mm allen bolt that you couldn't get a tool in because of various hard pipes in the way so decided to tap it round with a chisel and then I had a massive Dum-Dum Smash moment oops Sad

Got loads of pics I've realised I need to take like my big bore recirculating dump valve, the silicone inlet pipe, K&N filter, my fog light covers and boost controller.

Hoping to have it on the road and bwaping for Saturday.
Thanks given by:
Looks pretty good. Shame about the chisel incident, get the copper stick out!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2016, 06:21 PM)Ben Wrote: Looks pretty good. Shame about the chisel incident, get the copper stick out!

Had to order a new manifold. At £35 delivered it was cheaper than taking it to be welded.
Thanks given by:
Here is the exhaust from underneath at the back, sounds awesome (videos some other time)

Got the old inlet stripped off (PITA) to replace it, engine bay looking very bare.

Here is the comparrison between the old and new dump valves, the new one is the silver one and TBH almost as loud as it probably flows twice as much air and I guess alot of that is coming back out through the filter. It's definitely improved pick up on gear changes.

Got my nice silicone inlet hose fitted, this was a huge pain in the arse but should be worth a horse or 2 at the absolute top end as well as taking a join out of the inlet tract.

Managed to knock a hose off my already shitty looking rad (I will replace it soon with a nice ally one). Found a great hose adapter and some fiberglass to get 'er done

Engine bay back together and looking very lovely.

Took the car for a test drive and within a few miles had managed to set fire to the under tray as one of the heat shields didn't get refitted as it was bent and rusted to f*ck.

The exhaust is probably a bit of an acquired taste looks wise but it's growing on me and even without the baffle I don't wake my neighbors up if I come home at 2am (thank f*ck)

So with an estimated 250bhp it tows rather nicely and picked myself up a new project Big Grin
With the trailer empty it goes like it's not even there. When I took it back I even managed to put in a couple of overtakes with the trailer on the back (within the speed limit I might add)

Thanks given by:
Wicked man! I love a scooby wagon! Good job on the repairs!
Thanks given by:
(25-05-2016, 01:06 AM)MitchellR32 Wrote: Wicked man! I love a scooby wagon! Good job on the repairs!
Cheers mate, I see your not too far down the road.

The car has been a money pit this week after I commented on how great she is as a reliable daily.
Had to have the nearside wheel bearing done and I was getting near on the pads and the discs looked shitty, the garage found that 2 of the pistons on one of the calipers were seized, they managed to get one freed but not the other so didn't bother even looking at the driver side, changed the bearing and gave it back to me advising that is 2 pistons had seized on one caliper then the other one likely had seized pistons.

Today I have been fitting a pair of brand new copy engineered calipers, they are a great fit and just need painting red again as scooby calipers should be. Braking is a little better but it drives much much better. Love this car.

Thanks given by:
Suits you, sir.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Craigus' family wagon Craigus 20 3,803 08-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Grants OAP Wagon MK.2 Grant 9 2,425 07-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Grant