wishbones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wishbones
We are having a right f*ck on, the captive nut on the end has broken off, any ideas on how to remove the bolt?
My dad thinks the nut isn't a captive one,
 I was going to get a work mate to weld the nut again, so that I can wind the bolt out.
No doubt my dads f*cked on and f*ck on with it this morning until he's caused more trouble. Instead of leaving it a lone for the moment.
Thanks given by:
Ram something in there to wedge the nut and stop it turning?

re the captive nut in the subframe>

early ones are a bit of straight bar with a threaded hole in it which ain't going anywhere

later ones use a normal nut held in by a metal clip to stop it turning
Thanks given by: procta
(03-04-2016, 11:08 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: Ram something in there to wedge the nut and stop it turning?

re the captive nut in the subframe>

early ones are a bit of straight bar with a threaded hole in it which ain't going anywhere

later ones use a normal nut held in by a metal clip to stop it turning

looks like the metal clip might have failed then, f*ck knows what my dads done, no doubt he has made a hash, as he has come in and gave up.
Thanks given by:
Just to make 100% sure, this is the front 18mm bolt yeah? Not the rear one that goes through the ARB clamp?
Thanks given by:
(03-04-2016, 11:19 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Just to make 100% sure, this is the front 18mm bolt yeah?  Not the rear one that goes through the ARB clamp?

yeah tom its the front one, the rear ones came off with out a bother,
Thanks given by:
Ah ok, yeah that is definitely a captive nut...well, was!

Subframes aren't particularly hard to change but if you can wedge something in there could save a lot of hassle!
Thanks given by:
(03-04-2016, 11:26 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Ah ok, yeah that is definitely a captive nut...well, was!

Subframes aren't particularly hard to change but if you can wedge something in there could save a lot of hassle!

I think its gone beyond that now, if my dads been f*cking with it, as we did quit while we were a head of the game yesterday, So I could get a work mate to have a look and weld it back to the frame. Christ knows now what my dads done.
Thanks given by:
this is exactly the same problem i had with mine. So... i had to get a cutting tool and make the hole bigger to access the captive nut. I then could just about get a spanner in to hold the nut and then got the bolt out. it took an entire afternoon. Because it was such a pain I ended up replacing the entire subframe with a seam welded one anyway.
Thanks given by:
(03-04-2016, 11:57 AM)Eeyore Wrote: this is exactly the same problem i had with mine. So... i had to get a cutting tool and make the hole bigger to access the captive nut. I then could just about get a spanner in to hold the nut and then got the bolt out. it took an entire afternoon. Because it was such a pain I ended up replacing the entire subframe with a seam welded one anyway.

if my work mate cannot weld it, then I think it will be a replacement subframe job, we did manage mind to get a spanner on, but it was starting to jump, so we stopped yesterday, but knowing my dad, he will have made things worse.
Who welded your subframe up?
Thanks given by:
just went out there, and had a look, he has f*cked the nut up to the point its rounded. Instead of leaving it a be! I Hope to Christ it can be welded back to the frame. if not I will have to replace the frame now thanks to that lady garden!
Thanks given by:
So it was a seam welded subframe but the bits weren't welded in. Grant did it all. essentially welding practice.
Thanks given by: procta
(03-04-2016, 07:27 PM)Eeyore Wrote: So it was a seam welded subframe but the bits weren't welded in. Grant did it all. essentially welding practice.

If it comes to a replacement one, I might ask him if he could do the same job for me.
Thanks given by:
Wedge with tool or get a spanner in there
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Not when it's rounded piggy. Keep up!
Thanks given by:
Drill through the bolt to weaken it and break it off to get the wishbone out then go from there
Thanks given by:
where can I get the replacement bolts for these? a part from Peugeot. Just in case it comes to cutting the thing off.
Thanks given by:
Scrap yard I'd get a full sub frame
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2016, 05:15 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: Scrap yard  I'd get a full sub frame

easier said than done paul, as sunderland doesn't have any scrap yards now at all, that break cars. The other one that is in Peter Lee deals with new stuff only now, They might get the odd 306 in. The one I used to get my metro bits, might have a 306 in. His turn over of cars wasn't all that high, is there any differences with the subframes if I do find a 306?
Thanks given by:
post a pic of the nut.
the bolts are available from pug, my local " dealer" actually had them in stock!

a small sharp cold chiesel and suitable hammer to "split" the b nut.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wishbones ripp444 0 846 05-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Last Post: ripp444
  wishbones ripp444 8 2,895 26-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Niall
  Wishbones. Dean 23 7,454 01-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Razorback_Rob