Removing broken bleen nipple/How many types of rear calipers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing broken bleen nipple/How many types of rear calipers?
The bleed nipple broke on one of my calipers for the "new" beam. Trying to get it out, but also looking for another caliper. 
How many types were there for the 306? Just one? Mine is from a 306 HDI, that is all I know about it.. 

Also; Any tips on getting a broken bleed nipple out? Tried drilling it, but the drillbit starts spinning in the drill Tongue
Also tired a reversed drill bit, but it just eats parts of the nipple in stead of moving it. Tried some heat and freezing. Heat just melts the rubber in the area next to it, so have to make up some sort of shield before I do that again.
Thanks given by:
I have never seen more than one rear caliper.
Thanks given by:
never successfully removed a broken nipple, not to say it can't be done

two types of calliper - 30mm and 32mm piston sizes
Thanks given by:
(31-03-2016, 08:20 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: never successfully removed a broken nipple, not to say it can't be done

two types of calliper - 30mm and 32mm piston sizes

same fitment and pads and everything though right?
Thanks given by:
yes and yes

but dont mix them across the same axle Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Thanks guys. Lots of em on ebay, just the wrong side Tongue
Thanks given by:
I have some if needs be.

Also i have removed the nipples on some too
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
reverse thread tap?
aka a bolt extractor?
Have used them before with success
Thanks given by:
Tried it. Just eats the metal in the nipple. Going to go at it with some more heat. I guess seals are cheaper then a caliper.. And its not like I got anything to loose if I have to buy a new one anyways Tongue
Thanks given by:
Ive got several with broke nipples... and now a thermostat housing as well. Its just easier to fit spares if youve got them or can get them easily.
Thanks given by:
Leave broken bleed nipple in, bleed fluid by cracking brake pipe of #pikeyasfuck
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(31-03-2016, 11:00 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Leave broken bleed nipple in, bleed fluid by cracking brake pipe of #pikeyasfuck

Will that work? Won't there be lots of air in the caliper?
Thanks given by:
Only managed it once and with a pillar drill. You have to be very careful to go straight and not too far or you shag the nipple seat in the caliper.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
Yeah you really do need a bleed nipple LOL -
 I would not want to use a car for long without having been bled properly (except for a getuhome fix of course)
ISTR this used to happen with 5hitroen calipers too,I did buy an exchange recon caliper from the brake factors in Horsham some years ago for a ZX - they had obviously drilled out the old nipple,oversized the hole and then cut a new thread into which they had screwed an adaptor which then accepted a standard bleed screw.
I am not sure whether it is caused by good ole corrosion or perhaps dissimilar metal corrosion - but it really is a pain when it happens !
Thanks given by:
(31-03-2016, 10:43 AM)Iaitoo Wrote: Tried it. Just eats the metal in the nipple.Tongue

I will at first, keep winding it in and it'll eventually bite, if not then no worries, you've just successfully gotten most of the nipple out of the way, ready to extract the rest carefully with other small hand tools.

You don't need to 'remove the nipple whole' you just want the metal out of the way, anyway it comes out is fine!
Thanks given by:
(31-03-2016, 11:01 AM)Iaitoo Wrote:
(31-03-2016, 11:00 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Leave broken bleed nipple in, bleed fluid by cracking brake pipe of #pikeyasfuck

Will that work? Won't there be lots of air in the caliper?

Done it loads. In fact both my cousins have been that way for a year or so. Perfect brake pedal just give a go. Wink
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I had this problem new year as flexy hoses needed renewing.

I wire brushed the rear nipples and applied penetrant over many days, also cleaned out the nipple "hole" all the way to the bottom ( double diameters, cant remember sizes ) , fitted some washer tube and filled that with penetrant also, The penetrant ( carlube graphite stuff in small grey plastic bottle ) was left to do its stuff over many days whilst I sorted the fronts.

heat gun and hey presto the rears came out no problems, but the fronts grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The flexy hoses came out of the calipers ( bosch ) no problem, the 2564766=$%£"**&%$ nipples!! different story!

The calipers where gunna be stripped anyways for new seals, so they where removed and stripped.

The sheared nipple, the one that sheared clean off, I used the MIG method. I welded a blob to the wire brushed and bright remains. Be careful as you don not want to weld the nipple remains to the caliper, risky but possible, even on alloy ( bike ) calipers.

I welded a blob to the blob, and repeated. I ground an 8mm longish bolt to a taper point and welded this to the blobs.

Some heat and hey presto, it turned, lubed lubed and lubed, back and forth gentle turning and the %$£&^%$£ came out all ok, leaving the caliper thread all good.

The other front caliper was stripped, heated as much as I dare, and the nipple came out ok when the caliper was cooling down. Thank you god!!!

Drilling out a sheared nipple, mangled screw, seized bolt etc would be a final last lasrt last resort for me, as I know the mig method works, even on alloy stuff.

On alloy stuff, I reckon the "thermal shock" aids the offending item removal, some p[ati9ence and gentle turning, lubing etc and they come out. If the blobs "shear off" just re blob and try again.

MY mig is 25 years old ish, a Clarke blue one using pub gas and 0.6mm wire. Its a hobby type machine 100 amp from memory.

I have used this method more or less since I purchased the mig, using oxy/acetylene and a no.1 tip prior, usually with alloy stuff sitting in water.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear brake calipers Welshy_Pete 2 1,468 19-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Any tips for undoing rear bleed nipples on calipers? Tom85 18 3,089 27-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  refurbing rear brake calipers Iaitoo 18 4,081 20-02-2016, 10:42 PM
Last Post: pug306driver