Any tips for undoing rear bleed nipples on calipers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any tips for undoing rear bleed nipples on calipers?
Any tips for undoing rear bleed nipples on calipers which haven't been undone for probably years and missing their covers please? I've sprayed in Plus Gas but a bit paranoid of snapping...

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
If they guna snap...they will.
Use a 6 sided socket, keep it square, be gentle
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
they will probably snap. :/ im just going to buy new callipers now because im fed up of them snapping and havent got the kit to drill them out.
Thanks given by:
I'd recommend putting the socket on, smack it a couple of times with a small hammer then tap the back of your ratchet/t-bar lots as you undo it until it goes free.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks, I'll give it a go with the the socket and tapping it. Got them soaking in plus gas over night.
Thanks given by:
More plusgas always helps lol. As Piggy has said, keeping the tool square is vital too, might find it easier/more controllable if you get an assistant to do the hammering bit.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
8mm spanner over nipple and hit sharply with a hammer.

I've started doing this and it's worked wonders, got the tip off someone on 205 drivers. Sounds daft but it works
Thanks given by:
wire brush to get any crap off

soak in pentrating oil

put an 8 sided socket over and tap the end of the socket or the end of the nipple a fair bit to help break and corrosion + puts a bit of heat into it

put a little bit of pressure clockwise on the ratchet - again just to help break any corrosion

Then go with trying to undoe it - tend to go similar as Paul with this. Little ratchet I'll hit end with my palm to undo rather than leaning on it with a breaker bar.

But yeah, they break!
Thanks given by:
Key is to hit the nipple first to break it free /shrink it up and release the tension on it somewhat.

Generally they will always come out if you hit them enough before part shearing them, once you have started to shear it, your done! But as said, sometimes they will, break off, no matter what you try.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Exactly as per last two.

Wire brush it to clean the shit away. Copious plus gas on the cleaned area (rather than just wetting muck). Repeat for as long as you can before attempting to undo (i. E. Days)

Hit the top of the nipples a few times with a decent hammer.

Use only a six sided socket and be steady.

Exactly as Darren says if you hit them with a hammer the success rate is much higher.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
I've never snapped one. All of mine come off fine now that they've been released one, but for the first time on any car I've soaked it with penetrating oil not just overnight once, but multiple times over days and days.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Just take it to a garage to get them free?
Thanks given by:
Who will then snap it, take you pants down for you and bend you over
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the tips guys. Success. Went with hammering on a deep 1/4 socket and a fair bit of tapping. Then hit the ratchet with my palm to shock them free. All good! Did soak them in plus gas prior to this.
Thanks given by:
(26-06-2016, 03:14 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: Who will then snap it,  take you pants down for you and bend you over

Lol yeah probably
Thanks given by:
glad you got away with it bud Smile

its far too common for bleed nipples to shear, i owuld have thought they would have solved this problem by now Sad
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
They have solved the problem.. Clean the threads and apply copper grease to them before doing them to the correct torque. The problem is that all too many people just wind them in dry and dirty, then do it up far too tight..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Wait...there's a torque setting for them? Confused The problem is rear nipples are too damn small, be better if they used same size front and rear but I guess theres a reason not to.

Also, not sure if it's a coincidence but everytime I've snapped one it's been on a cold day, so if possible do it warm would be my tip! And if you're a clumsy heavy handed oaf like myself best to let someone else do it. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Pretty much anything you'll find on a car is more likely to snap in low temperatures, physics are(/is? not actually sure...) a bitch.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear brake calipers Welshy_Pete 2 1,461 19-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Removing broken bleen nipple/How many types of rear calipers? Iaitoo 16 3,106 31-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  refurbing rear brake calipers Iaitoo 18 4,061 20-02-2016, 10:42 PM
Last Post: pug306driver