Removing power steering Phase 1 1.4

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing power steering Phase 1 1.4
My power steering is making a horrible grinding noise so I've decided that I'm going to remove it.

I've got a pretty good idea on what to do but I'm just wondering are there any do's or dont's ?

Also while I'm bothered, is there anything else I can do to improve the steering ?
Thanks given by:
Are you removing it completely? With it making a noise its probably only the pump that's done if its been run low on fluid, handy fix if so.

Or maybe your just replacing the pump if so its only a matter of taking of the fan belt of the p/s pulley, removing the high pressure pipe and feed pipe and taking out the bolts that hold it on.
Thanks given by:
Replacing pump is a 30min job...and maybe just a fiver for a pump!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Don't remove it...

Have you tried parallel parking or navigating tight streets without PAS lol?
Thanks given by:
I'm thinking of removing it completely as its not a very heavy car. Tom what are they like ? Cause I've driven older cars with very heavy steering and I didn't find them too bad. It's just making a horrible grinding noise I haven't done a anything at all with the system and I was just thinking it might be better to remove it
Thanks given by:
It'll be fine on the road, but slow speed town or parking will be a pain.

It'll be better to chuck another pump on, its like 3 bolts and a couple of pipes...
Thanks given by:
It's fine, but to do it properly you want to weld up the shuttle valve.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Yeah replacing it looks easier then welding lol. I can get a new pump when I'm down in the scrappy next week or the week after. Gonna be on the hunt for something with an xud aswel so things are gonna get interesting soon
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power Steering Pump, All The Same? bigcheez2k3 14 4,124 20-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: vento85
  Power steering rack.....replacement options Jellomanpie 9 3,477 30-04-2020, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Power Sterering Ram/ Steering damper pugfrank 6 3,116 08-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Last Post: pugfrank