Discs&Pads replacement help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discs&Pads replacement help
Long story short over the weekend some lovely people tried to steal one of my wheels, but didn't get the whole way. I drove the car not knowing the nuts were loose - and as a result my wheel departed the vehicle leaving me with half a disc left.

My experience with doing things to cars is next to nothing, and I am a bit wary about going ahead and doing something to the brakes - but I've been to KwikFit (they were literally 2 minutes walk from where it happened) and was quoted £221 for the discs & pads + labour.
I tried another garage that my girlfriend's dad did a bit of work for (valet work - so I can't ask him to replace the parts as he's as clueless as me) if they would allow me to supply the parts with them to do the labour - obviously that wasn't going to happen as they would be losing too much money.

So it looks like I'm going to have to do it myself to avoid extortionate garage part prices + labour.

I've found two different sizes of brake disc, 247 and 266 - I'm assuming I need to do a match on that and measure the one that is still whole.
Is anyone able to give me a decent walk through on how to go about doing this, or just a picture of the section in Haynes (i've lost mine).

Either that or someone around the Portsmouth/Chichester area that can do it for a bit of cash.

It's a 98 D Turbo S

Cheers
Thanks given by:
Kris is only in Dorking, give him a PM. They will be 247mm. I'm sure lots of people can help out.

And also bollocks to kwik fit lol
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
thats a bit unlucky mate, if its a '98 DTS then they will most likely be 247mm front brakes unless they have been ungraded and then they could be 266mm or 283mm. Its an easy enough task to tackle yourself though at least Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Yeah first thing is to work out what size you're playing with - most likely standard DT brakes which will be 247's as mentioned. But yeah, quick measure to confirm.

Then once you've got your bits;

2 13mm bolts hold the caliper on. Once they're out, pull the caliper towards you to push the piston in and make it a bit easier to pull off the pads. Try to support/tie the caliper up to avoid putting pressure on the lines.

Then there's 2 19mm bolts on the back of the hub, which hold the caliper carrier on. These should be tight, you may need a breaker bar to crack them. Then you can remove the carrier.

Then you'll have a smallish torx bit (can't remember the size) holding the disc in place. Although these snap quite regularly and it's not the end of the world.

Once the disc is off, get a wire brush and clean up the surface of the hub before fitting the new disc. Spray the new disc with brake cleaner to remove the protective lubricant.

Also wire brush the carrier where the pads sit, and make sure the sliders (where the caliper bolts to) move freely. If you have some, clean them up and re-grease them.

Then push the piston back in the caliper, big grips are ideal. Go slowly and ease it back.

Then fit your new pads, copper slip on the edges will help prevent squeal.

That's about it really, it's a nice easy job, just take your time and clean everything up.

It'll pay you to make sure that the hub isn't damaged from the wheel bolts being loose though... before you start replacing things.
Thanks given by:
Jack the front up.

Take the wheels off

if you look at the back of the caliper there are two bolts.

undo them both and take them out.

Get a metel coat hanger and wrap it around the caliper and a coil of the spring so the caliper doesnt pull on the brake line.

undo the torx bit holding the disc on.

remove the disc and replace with new.

When putting the pads back. use an old pad to push the piston as far back as possible.

Edit:
woops too slow!
once you have done this put the new pads in then bolt it all back up again.

its good practice to bleed you system aswell so just watch a few you tube videos of it and get a mate to help!

Im pretty sure this is right and i havnt missed any thing. but im sure some one will correct me.
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
Where abouts in portsmouth are you? I can come have a look and tell you what you need and where to get them.
Thanks given by:
Pompey306mark Wrote:Where abouts in portsmouth are you? I can come have a look and tell you what you need and where to get them.

I'm based in Bognor/Chi - but I come over to Portsmouth every Friday & Saturday to visit family.
I'll also be over next Wednesday to see Fozzy in Southsea

And to the others - cheers for the help : )
Thanks given by:
Curt Wrote:Yeah first thing is to work out what size you're playing with - most likely standard DT brakes which will be 247's as mentioned. But yeah, quick measure to confirm.

Then once you've got your bits;

2 13mm bolts hold the caliper on. Once they're out, pull the caliper towards you to push the piston in and make it a bit easier to pull off the pads. Try to support/tie the caliper up to avoid putting pressure on the lines.

Then there's 2 19mm bolts on the back of the hub, which hold the caliper carrier on. These should be tight, you may need a breaker bar to crack them. Then you can remove the carrier.

Then you'll have a smallish torx bit (can't remember the size) holding the disc in place. Although these snap quite regularly and it's not the end of the world.

Once the disc is off, get a wire brush and clean up the surface of the hub before fitting the new disc. Spray the new disc with brake cleaner to remove the protective lubricant.

Also wire brush the carrier where the pads sit, and make sure the sliders (where the caliper bolts to) move freely. If you have some, clean them up and re-grease them.

Then push the piston back in the caliper, big grips are ideal. Go slowly and ease it back.

Then fit your new pads, copper slip on the edges will help prevent squeal.

That's about it really, it's a nice easy job, just take your time and clean everything up.

It'll pay you to make sure that the hub isn't damaged from the wheel bolts being loose though... before you start replacing things.

Yeah I was going to get that done anyway (checking the hub damage) - KwikFit didn't mention anything about that, but we popped into a garage in Sildlesham on the way home who said it would probably be a side effect.
Thanks given by:
Haha, Sidlesham garage?! Like a 5 minute walk from my house...

I'd offer to lend a hand but I'm struck down with illness at the moment
Thanks given by:
Curt Wrote:Haha, Sidlesham garage?! Like a 5 minute walk from my house...

I'd offer to lend a hand but I'm struck down with illness at the moment

Haha yeah my girlfriend's dad did some work for them - so we went by recommendation hoping they'd be nice - and they were, just not as nice as I'd of hoped.

Thank you for the offer- hope you get better!
Thanks given by:
not only will you have to work out what size they are (as said probably 247) youll need to know if theyre the lucas girling or bosch type pads
i would offer to help but im over in portsmouth
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
vlj Wrote:Haha yeah my girlfriend's dad did some work for them - so we went by recommendation hoping they'd be nice - and they were, just not as nice as I'd of hoped.

Thank you for the offer- hope you get better!

Ha, small world... They are pretty good for certain stuff (quite lenient for MOT's Wink) but they're quite expensive.

Cheers man Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New pads and fluid, possibly discs. Pebbles167 23 5,092 30-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Last Post: adam b
  Mintex discs and pads opinions Nathan1305 16 3,316 13-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Last Post: PartyJas
  Beam upgrade, which size discs and pads? doogle-d turbo 7 1,592 22-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Last Post: powerandtorque