Mintex discs and pads opinions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mintex discs and pads opinions
So will be upgrading the braking system on the 106 soon. What's your opinions on this package. Think it's a good deal for a full set of disks and pads. Not looking for extreme braking power as it's still only a 1.6 8v http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...0404269959 
Thanks given by:
I had that set, worked well enough on the road but not sure how it would stand up to track use.

Seeing as the 106 is purely a track car, why not look for some track pads like EBC's yellow stuff? With some EBC or Brembo discs.
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2015, 11:18 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: I had that set, worked well enough on the road but not sure how it would stand up to track use.

Seeing as the 106 is purely a track car, why not look for some track pads like EBC's yellow stuff? With some EBC or Brembo discs.

I'm currently watching some Brembo disks on eBay £25 for the front pair and around £23 for the rears. I'll have to look into some pads Smile
Thanks given by:
I dont see any point in putting anything special on the rears tbh they hardly do anything lol
Thanks given by:
i had ebc utter rubbish only my opinion tho. Ive brembo max discs and pads on the 205 and they are brilliant for the money cant fault them.
Thanks given by:
Don't buy ebc, i'd buy something better than oem-spec pads too, such as the mintex you've linked. Popular favourites seem to be mintex 1155s or ferodo ds2500, i loved my 1144s, but have been told they can't take the sustained abuse so well during track time. Bear in mind track pads will eat through normal discs too, get a matched set.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Have yet to try myself...
But DS2500s are suppposed to be epoc and last twice as long if not three times as long as standard pads.

Mintex are ok for the road but I have cooked my mintex pads a few times
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I've had several mintex sets off that ebay company both for my car and others and they do a very good service and are easy to deal with.

The mintex stuff is very good for an OEM replacement but certainly no upgrade. It's what I'm running on the rallye with braided lines and 5.1 fluid.
Thanks given by:
(28-02-2015, 12:06 AM)Stef205 Wrote: i had ebc utter rubbish only my opinion tho. Ive brembo max discs and pads on the 205 and they are brilliant for the money cant fault them.

Where did you get yours from? Smile 
Thanks given by:
Ebay! About £50 for the discs
Thanks given by:
As said, i have a mintex set on my Audi, for a daily they're pretty great really definately a well priced OEM replacement. But if you are looking for an "upgrade" id go for Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS2500... Or you could go for EBC but i have heard mixed reviews on those...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
On the zr I had Mintex discs & pads. warped the discs after about 2 sessions I think. Pads were okay, good for town driving but quite dusty as I recall.
Then got EBC grooved discs & greenstuffs, the pads I disliked more than the mintex as they felt they had to warm up before they were as good but the discs have held true and not warped despite all the abuse
Now going for a combination of the mintex pads which I still have lying around and the ebc discs, hopefully get the best of both worlds until I can save up for a more track spec set now I'm walking to work and dont need the zr to be such a daily
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Just had a look on eBay for Brembo Max discs but are around £163.95 just for the fronts.
Thanks given by:
Av got ds2500s on my gti6 track car and can't fault them take some punishment brakes sharp as anything ??
Thanks given by:
(28-02-2015, 07:25 AM)Piggy Wrote: Have yet to try myself...
But DS2500s are suppposed to be epoc and last twice as long if not three times as long as standard pads.

Mintex are ok for the road but I have cooked my mintex pads a few times

I can confirm this for the DS2500. I have has 2 sets on my GTi-6 in 120,000 miles, and believe me it gets driven hard. Never had brake fade even on track days and work good from cold.
Just be sure they are bedded in properly as per Ferodo's instructions or they will be crap.
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2015, 11:18 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: I had that set, worked well enough on the road but not sure how it would stand up to track use.

I had Yellows on my 205, which stood up to 4 day weekender at the 'Ring. Not much meat left afterwards though, but that's what you get  chasing sub 9min laps. Wouldn't recommend for road use as they're next-to-no-good from cold. Good for the price IMO, back then anyway. 

The 1144s I had on before the Yellows, gave up by the time I got to Wehrseifen (about a 1/3rd round). Plus, they make you car sound like a bus and cover your wheels in dust.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
To be fair that was one drawback with DS2500. They did squeal a bit but I remedied that using self adhesive anti squeal shims.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear drilled and grooved discs - opinions 306rhys 30 5,552 28-06-2015, 07:45 AM
Last Post: connorp
  New pads and fluid, possibly discs. Pebbles167 23 5,028 30-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Last Post: adam b
  Beam upgrade, which size discs and pads? doogle-d turbo 7 1,578 22-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Last Post: powerandtorque