URGENT HELP ! MOT ADVICE NEEDED

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT HELP ! MOT ADVICE NEEDED
Hi All,

Got the Rallye in at the garage today for it's test. And all they keep bleeting about is that the wheel is catching the gearbox on right lock.
I explained to them that these don't full lock right because of the 6th gear (I reminded them that they've passed my two previous 6s) but they're insistent this is a fail.
Now the only differences between the Rallye and my previous 6s is it's dropped 60-70mm instead of 30mm, it's got a Xsara Steering Rack and it's got my 15" steel wheels on... would these mods make the difference? Anyone know of a cure to get it through test? (I've tried putting the cyclones back on but it's still catching...)
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Has it got the '6 steering ram fitted to the xsara rack?
Thanks given by:
Its defiantly a failure im afraid. Its I writing that it cant touch anything. Id make up an adaptor of some description to stop it locking as far over. You can attach it to the ram them.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
It shouldn't touch the box, as above I suspect you've not got the gti6 ram on your xsara rack
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Forgive my ignorance, where in the system is the "ram" ?

And what would you suggest as an adaptor?
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
As an adapter I've seen people use a jubilee to temporally stop the rh movement, the ram is in the orange bag and is what limits the rh lock on the '6
Thanks given by:
I didn't fit the rack so I've never been near steering wheel controls before and it's all a bit double dutch to me. How do I access these components? from underneath?
CLUB RALLYE
Thanks given by:
Get a bit of rubber pipe on the end of the ram and lock it in place with a jubilee to make a new stop to stop the wheel hitting the box or buy a new one from pug.

It is sadly a definite fail.
Thanks given by:
I've got out my old 3.6 rack, think the ram off this will fit and solve the problem?
CLUB RALLYE
Thanks given by:
IIRC the rams are the same there is just a spacer on it or a stopper or something.
Thanks given by:
The stop on the 6 rack is on the pinion drive gear inside the rack not on the ram.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
What's the 3.6 off of? Just fit the ram off your old gti6 rack, as that's what's got the stop on it. It's a fail because rubbing a tyre against bodywork is dangerous, simple as that tbh, the standard rack is short on right-hand lock for exactly that reason.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The 3.6 is off my Rallye originally.

So I'm getting different opinions here. Will fitting the old ram off the old rack work?
CLUB RALLYE
Thanks given by:
Fit spacers to the front wheels temporarily and toe out the wheels slightly? Not the most mechanically minded so i could be chatting rubbish lol   Confused
Thanks given by:
I've tried that already, it's on 10mm spacers! Wish that had worked!
CLUB RALLYE
Thanks given by:
Fit another 10mm spacer to one side, see if it works just for the mot? Or even take it off the right and just double up on the left? With a few degrees toe out for good measure lol
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2015, 02:38 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: Fit another 10mm spacer to one side, see if it works just for the mot? Or even take it off the right and just double up on the left? With a few degrees toe out for good measure lol

Sorry i dont agree with this, its really bad advice
It really is just as simple as limiting the.right hand lock with a 'stop' on the ram.

At least fixing it properly will solve the issue. Not just putting the tracking out for the hell of it and doubling up on wheel spacers well that's just completely stupid 
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2015, 03:33 PM)Jimbo Wrote:
(15-05-2015, 02:38 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: Fit another 10mm spacer to one side, see if it works just for the mot? Or even take it off the right and just double up on the left? With a few degrees toe out for good measure lol

Sorry i dont agree with this, its really bad advice
It really is just as simple as limiting the.right hand lock with a 'stop' on the ram.

At least fixing it properly will solve the issue. Not just putting the tracking out for the hell of it and doubling up on wheel spacers well that's just completely stupid 

I already said i'm most likely chatting rubbish and just mentioning ideas Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Advice Needed! EzRyder 6 1,280 21-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Last Post: EzRyder
Rainbow Advice needed on selling my 3rd car Welshy_Pete 9 1,562 21-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Last Post: RetroPug
  Advice needed deggerz 12 1,977 02-03-2014, 11:39 PM
Last Post: tonytony