Front brakes binding but no usual heat signs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front brakes binding but no usual heat signs
Got a new piston rebuild kit and flexi hose put on front drivers side but now both sides are binding on but not giving off the excessive heat you assiciate with binding, any ideas? Master cylinder? One side has been recently bled but the other hasnt due to a snapped nipple, Could it just be an imbalance in brakefluid to both the calipers?
Thanks in advance Smile 
Thanks given by:
You have to bleed both sides. Could be a faulty hose (not unknown to let fluid go only one way) or the piston is sticking somehow.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Hoses and pistons both fine
Cant just be sticking both sides since one isnt bled can it?
Thanks given by:
The rubber seal around the piston pulls the piston back when you lift off the pedal, sticking on shouldn't be an air in lines problem. However you will be almost certainly be lacking brake force and getting an imbalance under braking so it does need bleeding properly!

Did you clean and grease the slide pins when doing the refurb? That's usually what causes binding on these. Also are you sure its the fronts binding not the rears?
Thanks given by:
Cheers Tom
Yes the pins are free as I mske sure every few months they are free
Checked the rears and they are as free as anything! Unlike the fronts
Thanks given by:
If they're not getting hot then they're not binding on, how did you diagnose it as a braking issue?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
As soon as you put the caliper onto the carrier it slows down how fast the disc spins by quite a lot, much freerer without caliper on
Thanks given by:
That's normal, as long as it still spins a couple of rotations with the wheels on. I assume you're spinning them by hand..?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Are the brake pads moving freely? Had a similar issue on the celica which was down to the pads being seized onto the carrier. Filed down the ends and wire brushed the carrier and now they're fine.

So the car still brakes/drives in a straight line, if both fronts are binding?
Thanks given by:
Cheers Poodle
Only spins about 2/3 times around both fronts, one spinning slightly more than the other, so they arent supposed to spin as freely as the back ones? Had one of the front spinning as freely as the back ones until recently. Yes spinning by hand

Maybe a daft question but how do you check if the pads are moving freely? Just put the pads in and spin without the caliper on? If so, it is free with the pads in place Smile
Yes still drives in a straight line and also brakes in a straight line fine too, unless you mash the brakes and the one which has been bled slightly takes over meaning the wheel slightly moves (a new caliper which will be bled will sort that out)
Thanks given by:
I had to lever my pads off the carrier with a screwdriver using a fair amount of force. They should just come off/go back on easily by hand.
Once i filed the ends down a bit and greased the ends of the pads/sliders, that sorted out my sticky brake issue. But you say yours started happening after messing with a caliper so doubt it's as simple as what my issue was.
Thanks given by:
That sounds fine tbh, if you're bothered by it try Iceman's suggestion, that's often an issue. Personally i'd chip off the built up crap from the pad-carrier contact faces rather than filing down your pads though. They'll most likely go back to being sticky once you've done a few miles though, even if you clean them completely and regrease with proper brake grease.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cheers lads
Did that a few weeks ago but will try again
A bit annoyed that from 30 in 3rd and when about to acelerate there is now a pause before the car actually accelerates (making me think even more the wheels arent spinning as free as they should) 
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rear brake binding hedgeling106 12 3,638 10-12-2016, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Eibach/B4 coils binding? wld 11 4,734 16-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Last Post: wld
  Rolling road - split driveshaft boot and binding rear brakes reduce power on graph? MY95 28 4,591 23-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Last Post: tigerstyle