rear brake binding

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rear brake binding
306 td salon , failed mot on tyres and rear passenger side brake binding, got 4 teledials with nearly new tyres for £80 from scap yard but still trying to sort out rear brakes, when releasing handbrake the brakes stay on have removed hub, and sprayed on wd40 on pivot po[nt, but still binding, and squeaks when operating handbrake, does not bind when using brake. do i strip shoes and springs and clean everything up or is handbrake cable needs replacing,
Thanks given by:
sounds like the hand brake has loked up and the caliper need replacing, theres gears and stuff inside.
Thanks given by:
have striped off brake shoe and freed up hand brake pivot point now gotta rebuild and file lip off brake drum lol
Thanks given by:
make sure handbrake cable hasn't kinked/split just in front of wheel were it attaches to axle bracket
Thanks given by:
Cable is most likely imho.

New cables, adjust properly. Should be fine. WD40 NOT reccomended in drums or any brake application tbh. Use copper or white grease
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If the shoe assemblies are seized you might get away with freeing up the leverset. Check the cable for damage and corrosion and see if it moves in and out freely by hand before buying a replacement.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
have decided to fit new shoes as removed other side hub and shoes looking very iffy, so don't worry about wd40, will spray it all with brake cleaner too before reassembly, when removing driver side hub was a struggle to remove and found a collapsed bearing, how easy is it to remove refit wheel bearings? they have a 306 meridian estate down scrap yard and could get a hub of it instead if they are the same and it would fit. what do you lot think is best.
Thanks given by:
You'll need to use a press. Buy a new bearing, total waste of time getting a second-hand one. Even if it was good when parked up, it's unlikely to still be usable after it's been sat in the scrapyard.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
ok will order new bearing tomorrow, car in scrappy only came in on sat and has been crushed already lol, just a production/destruction line, but got alloys and new tyres before went to great scrapyard in the sky. ta very much though for all your help. odd mot didn't throw up issue with bearing but then maybe it was in one piece before I knocked off hub. anyway can clean up back plates and fit new shoes and reassemble brakes tomorrow and then find someone to do put in new bearing. just need to find the brake cleaner, know ive got some in the shed but can I find it? oh well need to find torc wrench too I supose.
Thanks given by:
mechanic repacked bearing and reckons it will be ok, brakes rebuilt with new shoes. handbrake definitely not binding now. the brakes seem a bit soft. when pumped they go hard. I'm wondering if I should bleed the brakes, I looked at reservoir and looks a bit manky, wondering whether to change fluid or bleed brakes or both and whats the procedure. got mot retest today so hoping will be ok.
Thanks given by:
sounds like rear shoes need adjusting up properly.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
As above, if it wasn't like that before.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Apply handbrake... If footbrake feels 10x better... Need to adjust brakes correctly ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I buy? rear brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material pipes Charlie0 3 6,698 18-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Uneven brake drag on rear wheels balkan_bozo 2 2,029 21-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: balkan_bozo
  Rear brake compensator leaking Ben 4 2,917 24-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Ben