New pads and fluid, possibly discs.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New pads and fluid, possibly discs.
Hi guys,

Need a new set up after Saturdays events proved so.

Not looking to spend a fortune (it's a standard 206 after all) so looking at leaving the the brakes themselves as they are more than adequate,  and just changing the items mentioned in the title. 

What do people recommend? I was going to get Ferrodo DS2500 pads but I don't really know much about discs and fluid. 

Any suggestions helpful Smile

Thanks. 
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
I've got a feeling ds2500 are stupidly expensive, 1144 a cheaper alternative that are most likely just as good on the road and occasional track use

You may end up eating discs though
Thanks given by:
Cheers man, looks like they are fairly priced (TThe mintex ones you suggested) ill grab some.

I had Carbone Lorraine pads on my Rallye and they destroyed the discs and ruined the wheels. 

Any suggestions on fluid? Is dot 5.1 the right stuff?
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2015, 04:16 PM)Pebbles167 Wrote: Cheers man, looks like they are fairly priced. 

I had Carbone Lorraine pads on my Rallye and they destroyed the discs and ruined the wheels. 

Any suggestions on fluid? Is dot 5.1 the right stuff?

I can't say for fluid - I end up using so much of the stuff when I piss around with brakes I just buy 5 litres of dot4 at a time. Theoretically dot5.1 has a higher boiling point, can't say wherever it's worth it or not. Might be better off just changing your fluid after some track time if you think you've cooked it
Thanks given by:
i used millars racing DOT 4 plus in mine it has a much higher boiling point than std DOT 4

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Ok, cheers for the replies.

Definitely cooked mine, so will get some of this higher dot 4 fluid.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
I ised mintex 1144s with 5.1 fluid daily and abused on track, they lapped it up. Have a nice bite without needing to be warmed up, but did some serious stopping once hot.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I went for a price compromise. EBC Redstuff pads ordered and performance Dot 4 fluid ordered.

Thanks for the input Smile
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
I use rbf 600 it's amazing...

I would go for the 660 but don't think it's worth the price hike
Thanks given by:
I'd go for 5.1 fluid and braided hoses. I have no opinion on pads as personally I'd be going bigger (302s will fit under your wheels) but the mintex OEM stuff is very good.

There is lots of better dot 4 fluids out there but they aren't cheap. 5.1 gets you the same benefits for alot less, about £6 a bottle for the halfords stuff on trade.

5.1 fluid, braided hoses, 302s and peugeot OEM pads and discs didn't fade in my 2 hour rack time at FCS last year stopping what was almost certainly close to 1500kg of 2.1 estate when you include me and connor in it. The same set up was stopping tom 100mph in under 100 yards too.
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2015, 06:56 PM)Pebbles167 Wrote: I went for a price compromise. EBC Redstuff pads ordered and performance Dot 4 fluid ordered.

Still amazes me people buy ebc pads. 

Green stuff is shite, wouldn't surprise me if the rest of the range follows suit. 
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2015, 06:56 PM)Pebbles167 Wrote: I went for a price compromise. EBC Redstuff pads ordered and performance Dot 4 fluid ordered.

oh man, did you talk to sam at combe? he was running yellow stuff iirc and din't have anything good to say about them
Thanks given by:
Reds aren't the best...at all.

Use ATE superblue 4 fluid or a decent 5.1 - I use Motul 5.1. Higher boiling point and both are good with water ingress.
Pagid rs29 pads are good, ds2500 won't be quite up to it. Ebc yellows have pretty decent reviews but I've yet to fit the set I bought. Instead cramming 310s under my 15s hehe..

Carbon Lorraine RC5+ are awesome and don't eat discs like the 6s
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Whilst I'm aware that I basically asked for advice, and disregarded it (lol...) I'm sure it'll be ok.

It's not a full on track car, I just wanted something to replace the budget stuff that was already there Smile
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Oh right... And this is how ebc are still in business lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Surely they can't be that bad? Sad
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Green stuff is like having glass for brake pads, there's been quite a few instances where the pad has completely disintegrated in a few miles, I had a similar issue myself
Thanks given by:
it is odd how there is such a variety of views on ebc products, I think it depends massively on application and driving style, and it seems also they arent the most consistent at manufacturing.

I fitted greens years ago In 1.9 calipers on a 2.0 mi16 convrrted 205, worked fine from cold, no fade issues, but personally im not hard on brakes like some, and I didn't have the car around fir long before the owner had it back.

also been in a 1.6 205 rally car, stock braking system bar bigger mc smaller servo, ate fluid and yellowstuff pads, by eck did that thing drop anchor when you gave the pedal a good stamp!!

conversely, another friend had a bremsport 4pot on a 1.9 rally car, he trails the brakes and dilly dallies about a lot more, and cooked a set of yellows quite quickly, we threw some half work Hawk black rallycross pads in and he had no issues for the ney few rallies.

I use 100% o.e.m braking material, no issues at all on the zx, not been on track yet...
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I've had redstuff front and rear on a GTi set up on my black HDi and for your sake I hope your road isn't down hill away from your house as they are atrocious when cold, the amount of times I'd come out of my mums house in the morning, brake for the end of her road and just glide into the middle of the main road was scary. That and once you've been on the motorway for a while they cool off. Used to end up gliding up the slip road with my foot on the brakes not slowing until they had got some heat.

While it's funny when you know it's coming and can plan for it it's terrifying when you have to do an emergency stop.

That said they are good when they are warm and a big improvement over anything OEM or greenstuff.
Thanks given by:
my experience with green stuff over std pads on the front of hdi estate with 266 discs
i found them an excellent upgrade over standard pads once bedded in,
BUT after 20K miles 2 years in my case the glue holding the compound to the backing plated let go the pads them-self had about half worn, they were sent back to Ebc under warranty and they supplied a new box set FOC in exchange.

i would buy another set as they were half the price of the mintex equivalent, the stopping power from cold was way better than std pads and only got better when heated up

[attachment=22855]

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I had the same thing happen to a set of 1144s but in 50 miles of light road use. Put me off for life!
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
I've heard of this happening, to a fair few people with the ebc pads, not heard of it with the mintex ones though.

I went out as a passenger in a mates Evo with redstuff pads and he rated them, i guess time will tell.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
When I came off onto the grass at combe from loosing at brakes I was running greenstuffs Wink
Back on stock mintex from the looks of it and they did be perfectly fine this spring , even though I wasn't on for very long

I found the greenstuffs in winter to need warming up, got caught out a couple of times on a frosty morning when I was driving for conditions where I actually had some form of braking.
In regards to fluid if it conforms to the standard then can't see why you need to buy anything more expensive? Pagid stuff is cheap and at least reputable a supplier
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Because they have different wet and dry boiling points.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best brake fluid and pads? JTaylor2005 19 4,631 19-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Pgtips
  Mintex discs and pads opinions Nathan1305 16 3,289 13-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Last Post: PartyJas
  Beam upgrade, which size discs and pads? doogle-d turbo 7 1,581 22-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Last Post: powerandtorque