Allypic's Mini Challenge 210

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allypic's Mini Challenge 210
Hi,

Despite not having a 306 any more, and now running the M3... I'm still lurking around here as there are plenty of projects which still have my interest!! :-)

Just thought I would stick a little thread on showing the latest project in the household, the Mrs. new Mini.

We get married in June, and as a wedding present I wanted to buy her a nice car, which she could use every day, with all the toys and comforts, but also that was quick and could be used on the track or on our annual trip to the Nubrurgring if she wanted.

We looked at a few options, namely SLK's, Z4 and a Porsche - but ultimately they were either too ostentatious or too big for her.

We actually went to the Mini garage to go and look at a Cooper S convertible, but after driving it and finding how wobbley they are with no roof - we decided not to... then we took stock of this at the front of the showroom.

[Image: IMG_20150412_124950407_zpsxdcji5ar.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150412_124946433_HDR_zpskbceadxy.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150412_145447894_HDR_zps5fsh8rcc.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot_2015-04-16-08-34-55_zps1uyymrax.png]

It's a Mini John Cooper Works, with the limited edition challenge 210 kit.

There have only been 210 of them made, in the world and are there to homologate the Mini Challenge race car.

As well as coming with every option ticked from Mini (stupid things like heads up display, harmon kardon stereo etc), it also has different rods, different pistons, different turbocharger and the full fat John Cooper Works Pro Tuning kit.

The exhaust has an bluetooth controller which can switch it from running through the cat and backbox to a straight through pipe, and alters the engine mapping to make more power. This is the JCW race mode and customers have to sign a disclaimer saying this will not be used on the road, for noise and emissions reasons.

Any which way, despite not being able to actually drive it (limited run, and not yet registered) the Mrs. fell in love with it... and we struck a deal...

[Image: IMG_20150412_145439867_HDR_zpsdr2eoerf.jpg]

She went to collect the car last night:

[Image: IMG-20150416-WA0005_zpsf6cfovzr.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150412_145505118_HDR_zpscdhjmotb.jpg]

and she loves it! 

I have to say, it's a proper bit of kit - with 210hp it doesn't sound like much, much the torque and the way it delivers the power is amazing.

Put it in track mode and it lowers to the road, stiffens the suspension, changes the turbo map, throttle map and opens the exhaust valves and all the lighting inside goes red and it really is a great tool to drive... I am sorely jealous!

Here's a little demo of it on the drive in "Mini Track Mode".

I'm trying to persuade her to bring it to FCS now.... :-)

Cheers,

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Mmm, very nice!! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Sounds awesome

I like the colour.

Can't stand the rear lights on these, so out of proportion it's unreal. R56 had a way nicer rear end.
Thanks given by:
I agree with you JJ, almost bubble like.

That said, the rest of it looks pretty smart I think... But its certainly not "mini" more like a "biggi".

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Amazing Big Grin sounds mint and can't belive the specs with the controlabe exhaust etc
hopefully they've sorted out the steering rack issue I had with Alicia one where it rubs on your feet if your a size 10 or above
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
To be honest mate, I hadn't noticed that issue when I drove it last night... Maybe they've changed it on the new model?
JP
Thanks given by:
Looks awesome mate, sounds like it's going to be a bit of a weapon.
Thanks given by:
It should be... The engine is based on the BMW twin power 2.0, and tuned they make 280hp... But this has a bigger turbo and rods....
JP
Thanks given by:
Will you be attempting to do some ninja-mapping on this or leaving it well alone until the warranties gone?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mapping it while its under warranty? I wouldn't dream of it...
JP
Thanks given by:
No video editing software with me away this weekend, so video has a lot of "dross" in it I'm afraid...

Giving it a little tickle down some country roads..

http://youtu.be/DWQaRCYZhUE
JP
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2015, 09:58 AM)lolsteve Wrote:  hopefully they've sorted out the steering rack issue I had with Alicia one where it rubs on your feet if your a size 10 or above

If you mean steering column (which I think you do) then thats most new cars, speaking as an owner of size 12 boots lol

OT I wonder how these compare to the rest of latest batch of hot hatches, 210 hp puts it right in the mix with the Fiesta ST with a mountune and 208 GTi 30th
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sounds amazing! Ive recently started to get a soft spot for the more modern MINI after being a die hard classic mini fan. As they've started coming down in price I see more and more in the garage for servicing etc and I quite like how they drive.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
dang that sounds good. Shame its the size of one of jupiters moons.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Piggy, for a mini it is... That said, I bet the dimensions aren't much bigger than a 306, if at all....
JP
Thanks given by:
Why are you shifting so early! I wanna hear that engine scream!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Combination of car that has done less than 100 miles, little roads you can't see round the bends, and it doing silly MPH very quickly...
JP
Thanks given by:
(18-04-2015, 12:20 PM)Matt Wrote: Why are you shifting so early! I wanna hear that engine scream!

Engine needs running in surely.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Kinda cool for what it is, but the new new mini is so much uglier that the last one! Dread to think what that thin mg cost, too :-S
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
(19-04-2015, 09:26 AM)RetroPug Wrote:
(18-04-2015, 12:20 PM)Matt Wrote: Why are you shifting so early! I wanna hear that engine scream!

Most modern engines, you can rag them from day one and it will be fine. Engineering has come on so far that brand new engines just don't really need bedding in. A lot of modern cars do have a reduced power map for the first few hundred/thousand miles though. I know my Kia did. It was like driving my old 1.0 106 again when i got it! lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(19-04-2015, 05:28 PM)Niall Wrote:

Most modern engines, you can rag them from day one and it will be fine. Engineering has come on so far that brand new engines just don't really need bedding in.  A lot of modern cars do have a reduced power map for the first few hundred/thousand miles though. I know my Kia did. It was like driving my old 1.0 106 again when i got it! lol

I'd still bed in a brad new engine.

Service intervals have gotten further and further apart as well but that doesn't mean it is necessarily best practice. Advances in technology means you can get away with not bedding in and extending oil change intervals, but I'd still rather take care of it.

Most new cars I've had in at work have said to drive slowly etc. for the first few hundred miles in their vehicle handbook, and a lot of manufacturers run them in before giving them to us to rag everywhere. lmao

Mini sounds great. Would love the 306 to pop a bit more. Does it now but that's because of a hole on the cat outlet.
Looks like a good car. Hope you're both still enjoying it.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(19-04-2015, 07:15 PM)RetroPug Wrote:
(19-04-2015, 05:28 PM)Niall Wrote:

Most modern engines, you can rag them from day one and it will be fine. Engineering has come on so far that brand new engines just don't really need bedding in.  A lot of modern cars do have a reduced power map for the first few hundred/thousand miles though. I know my Kia did. It was like driving my old 1.0 106 again when i got it! lol

I'd still bed in a brad new engine.

Service intervals have gotten further and further apart as well but that doesn't mean it is necessarily best practice. Advances in technology means you can get away with not bedding in and extending oil change intervals, but I'd still rather take care of it.

Most new cars I've had in at work have said to drive slowly etc. for the first few hundred miles in their vehicle handbook, and a lot of manufacturers run them in before giving them to us to rag everywhere. lmao

Mini sounds great. Would love the 306 to pop a bit more. Does it now but that's because of a hole on the cat outlet.
Looks like a good car. Hope you're both still enjoying it.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should just give it death from delivery mileage but its not like it used to be years ago when if you didnt run a engine in, it was f*cked!
306s can pop and bang more...mine does Big Grin
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Some modern engines don't take kindly to being run in apparently. I'm not sure but the Fabia VRS I bought my mum rings a bell.

Saying that the gtr had a 1200 mile optimisation and pretty detailed running in instructions.

But love the pops and bangs on her over run. Cool wee hot hatch and great limited edition car. Would love the adjustable exhaust on my cars!!

Great wedding present.
Thanks given by:
So I chucked this on the dyno a while back to see what difference comfort, sport and sport with exhaust flap open made...

Certainly a notable improvement!

[Image: img003_zpstuwfkwgx.jpg]

Might give it a cheeky map in the new year... gotta be 300hp available at least! ;-)
JP
Thanks given by: