Rear end?? Solid or rubber?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear end?? Solid or rubber?
Hi all, im after a little bit of advise. Im going through all the suspension on my car and im unsure what to do with the rear end? Do i go for standard rear axle mounts or go for solids? The car will be used mainly for trackdays and the odd inspired sunday drive. The front end is all polybushed and iv got bilstein dampers allround. 
I cant justify spending £200 on some baker bm's but iv heard how good they are. Do i just buy standard mounts or buy standard mounts and some tiger seal? Itwasntme
Let me know your thoughts guys. Id put a wanted post in for some second hand solid mounts but as im new ish i cant. Angry  
Thanks in advance!

Iv just realised iv posted in the wrong place. Sorry! Not sure how to move thread?
Thanks given by:
I don't know much but wouldn't rubber allow you the give in corners... Plus wouldnt the metal wear quicker...??
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 03:41 PM)highwayman306 Wrote: I don't know much but wouldn't rubber allow you the give in corners... Plus wouldnt the metal wear quicker...??
I think metal/alloy would be good for life but may wear the beam bearings quicker. I dont really want any give in the corners thats why i suggested tiger seal in the new rear rubber mounts. Still got a little bit of give but slightly more rigid than it otherwise would be. I dont really know what to do. Might just bite the bullet and buy some solid baker bm's.  :huh: :-/
Thanks given by:
Iirc if you fit solid mounts you lose the lift of oversteer, i think cully on here welded some 4mm plate around the standard mounts to make them solid? Or something
Thanks given by:
Well, like I said, I don't really know Big Grin but if you can't justify £200 go standard and replace again Wink if it's a track car and seldom used on road go rigid...

How often do you take it on the track?
Thanks given by:
running 16" wheels and competition tyres I could flex the rubber mounted beam enough to rub the tyres on the arches on hard cornering, with my solid mounts I don't get that now

with the rubber mounts the rear was much more forgiving with lift-off over steer as you could feel it letting go
with the solids you don't get that it just snaps and lets go which is a little frightening when it happened first time to me

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Thats the kind of give I was on about that you need though, isn't it?

f*cking ignore me, I don't even race!!! Wink
Thanks given by:
My rear end bites like crazy, on solid mounts. I've only spun out once so far but I've tried getting the rear out a lot, mostly my attempts at drifting have only been met with.. Nothing..

Not exactly a stock rear beam though, or front for that matter :-P
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
Isn't part of the rear beam charm the flex it has?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
With solid mounts you have more grip, but as has been mentioned already, the limit is more difficult to find.

On a stock/Road car I'd agree with you, the flex gives charm.
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the comments, now i am confused! Haha! Think i going go solid and see how we get on..... Undecided
Any second hand mounts about on here? I cant put a wanted post up.
Thanks
Thanks given by:
remember with rubber mounts you get an amount of rear steer in hard corners which isn't linear so you cant predict it in the corners

with the solid mounts it wont steer off the back end until it drifts/lets-go this to some is more predictable as the car tends to go where the steering is pointing rather than being steered off the rear too

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
Yeah thats now convinced me to go solid. 
Thanks
Thanks given by:
my daily has rubber mounts my 6 has solids
day to day driving you can-not tell the difference some say you get extra road noise from solids which is probably true but the roads are so rough around here its not an issue

fast cornering i find the solids have the advantage as they just do there job holding the beam.

fast cornering with rubber mounts, I can feel the back end almost taking a second bite mid corner, as the rubber takes the strain, which is a little off putting if your not expecting it, this is when people lift off ,when the power should be kept on, then the back comes round and your in a world of poo poo

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by: Beany58
There's a bit of crap in this thread to be honest...... The rear beam mounts are designed flex to give the 306 it's characteristic passive rear steering, some folk like this and some don't and it's not to be confused with 'lift off oversteer'. The car can often feel like it's drifting when it isn't due to all the geo changes through the corner.
It's also no good comparing tired and/or aftermarket rubber mounts with solid mounts, new genuine mounts are very good, new aftermarket rubber mounts are good for 5 minutes!
What cully describes is not how new genuine mounts act, the flex is more linear and predictable. What he describes is how tired mounts act, you have to preload the mount before you really turn in or the back end can be very unpredictable, as described it's like a second bite.
Solids obviously get rid of this unpredictability and IMO essential on a circuit car, they allow predictable rear end grip and make it easier to get the rear end to rotate which you then control with the throttle (and your also essential plated LSD Wink ).

Genuine rubbers on a road car, solids on a circuit car
(11-04-2015, 01:04 PM)allanallen Wrote: What cully describes is not how new genuine mounts act, the flex is more linear and predictable. What he describes is how tired mounts act, you have to preload the mount before you really turn in or the back end can be very unpredictable, as described it's like a second bite.
Solids obviously get rid of this unpredictability and IMO essential on a circuit car, they allow predictable rear end grip and make it easier to get the rear end to rotate which you then control with the throttle (and your also essential plated LSD Wink ).

Genuine rubbers on a road car, solids on a circuit car

I fitted new Lemforder mounts to my rebuilt VTS beam, and it's extremely predictable. I've never had the rear end snap out, only when I've purposely triggered it and even then you have to be fairly violent with it. It'll quite happily cock a rear wheel in the air though. 

Snappy rear end, try a 205 with a shagged beam on P6000's in the wet. 

Solids vs Rubbers (poly?). Rubbers for a road car every time. My 205 has solids in it, it's not for an everyday car.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
firestones in the dry on a 205, with a good beam, WHEEEE!
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Got to agree with what the allen/ans have said. I personally prefer the rubber mounts, especially when driving hard. I find it a lot easier to feel what the car is doing underneath me and as such have a lot more confidence in pushing it to the limit, which in turns makes it more fun. Imo. Solid mounts definitely alters the character of the car lot.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Get oe mounts an fill with this stuff. Leave for few days to fully harden then fit them. Tigerseal is a waste of time.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08609-Window-We...B000FW61EW

HDI D'Turbo Daily Driver ---- XUD D'Turbo Project
Lol, I'm loving digging this thread back up Big Grin

My car is making some noise from the back and i think I'm going to go oe rubber see if it solves it. Im hoping it isn't beam/bearing related, I hear knocking at low speeds too and and its handling isn't to my liking...

daveylennon93: Does that stuff actually work?

Would anyone be able to vouch for this method?
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
It does work, that's a fairly well known method of producing your own pu reinforced bushes.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Since the thread started iv now purchased a recon'd rear beam from im axles, purchased some rear b8 shockers and reinforced the mounts with strong sealer. Hopefully thats gonna sort the job!  Phew
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rubber Seals around the sliders on bendrix rear brakes mattbarker32 3 952 11-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Last Post: mattbarker32
Smile recommend me some rubber declantg 23 4,461 16-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Last Post: kernow_joe
  Solid rear beam mounts Slam Wagon 19 5,387 25-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Niall