Power steering failure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power steering failure
So my car decided it doesn't like power steering anymore  Angry On my way home it started whining. So I had a look and seen a puddle of power steering fluid underneath the car. And the chassis leg had some on it. As some of you may know I did away with the cooling pipe that goes across the front of the car and just had the U bend part going to the hoses on top. I've checked this and it is slightly wet. Where could it be leaking from?
Thanks given by:
Well if you've checked the loop you put in and it's wet, does logic not say that it's probably leaking from there!?!
Don't run it for too long with no fluid in. Not even idle. The pump relies on the fluid for lubrication so you will just shit the pump of you haven't already.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2015, 10:13 AM)Niall Wrote: Well if you've checked the loop you put in and it's wet, does logic not say that it's probably leaking from there!?!
Don't run it for too long with no fluid in. Not even idle. The pump relies on the fluid for lubrication so you will just shit the pump of you haven't already.

But wouldn't there be a puddle on the chassis leg? I'll check it friday on my day off so I can check the steering ram and stuff
Thanks given by:
Could very well be the ram if it isn't where you think. Mine on the 6 was leaking when I first got it and then quite spectacularly gave way on a roundabout at some speed lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(01-04-2015, 10:37 AM)Niall Wrote: Could very well be the ram if it isn't where you think. Mine on the 6 was leaking when I first got it and then quite spectacularly gave way on a roundabout at some speed lol

Yeah mine seem to just randomly start making noises. Then dropped it's fluid haha. If it is the ram is it just replacing the seal or the whole ram itself?
Thanks given by:
Whole ram unless you want to take the ram somewhere to be rebuilt. They are NLA from Peugeot now so will have to get a good second hand one or refurbished.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(01-04-2015, 11:49 AM)The Niall Wrote: Whole ram unless you want to take the ram somewhere to be rebuilt. They are NLA from Peugeot now so will have to get a good second hand one or refurbished.

Ah right I hope it's just a pipe then
Thanks given by:
So found a small split in the hose by the jubilee clip. So I've cut that end off and it all seems good Smile steering is nice and light (light for a 306) and apears to be no leaks Smile
Thanks given by:
I was going to suggest the seals on the pulley/bearings but seems you've sorted it. Have changed 2 pumps now because of that.
Thanks given by:
(03-04-2015, 05:10 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: I was going to suggest the seals on the pulley/bearings but seems you've sorted it. Have changed 2 pumps now because of that.

Yeah I'll keep an eye on it just to make sure it's all sorted. Plus I found out today that I have a T2 turbo so I'm going to adjust the wastegate arm soon. So something good came out of it haha
Thanks given by:
(03-04-2015, 05:10 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: I was going to suggest the seals on the pulley/bearings but seems you've sorted it. Have changed 2 pumps now because of that.

Out of interest, did you buy a new pump or replace with a good used item? 

Mine's groaning quite loud, louder than normal even and was thinking about replacing the pump when I change to a VTS rack. Wasn't sure on the quality of new pumps.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
(03-04-2015, 06:01 PM)Alan_M Wrote:

Out of interest, did you buy a new pump or replace with a good used item? 

Mine's groaning quite loud, louder than normal even and was thinking about replacing the pump when I change to a VTS rack. Wasn't sure on the quality of new pumps.

Been 2nd hand pumps both times. As a note, it wasn't twice on 1 car, I've changed a pump on both my 306's so nothing against used pumps yet.

Except the one on the newer car failed not long after I sold the one from the old car :/
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power Steering Pump, All The Same? bigcheez2k3 14 4,220 20-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: vento85
  Power steering rack.....replacement options Jellomanpie 9 3,550 30-04-2020, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Power Sterering Ram/ Steering damper pugfrank 6 3,148 08-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Last Post: pugfrank