Biker chat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biker chat
Soooo having ridden a few scooters from the age of 17 and a cbr125 for a couple if years i always wanted to get back to biking, was going to jump back on a 125 to learn on but the price for a good one seemed abit silly so decided to do my direct access

25th feb i passed the theory test 50/50 for questions and 68/75 hazzard perception
13th march cbt (let me do this on a suzuki sfv650) 
17th march passed my mod 1 with no minors 50kph emergency stop 51kph for the swerve
26th march (today) passed my mod 2 with 4 minors

Passed everything first time so really pleased with that.

After seeing Mcglynn's gsxr i thought i'd start a thread to see if there was any more bikers on here.
I havn't got a bike yet but activley looking (got no idea what i want tho lol) 

So yeah pretty chuffed today and time to look for a first bike, Any suggestions? Any advice?
Cheers
Thanks given by:
You can have any bike you want... What do you fancy? A proper sportsbike or more of a tourer? Or a harley or maybe even a supermoto?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
This is not going to be a good thread for my wallet, really trying to get my bike licence done. I'd like something along the lines of a Honda XR650R
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2015, 04:13 PM)Tom Wrote: You can have any bike you want... What do you fancy? A proper sportsbike or more of a tourer? Or a harley or maybe even a supermoto?

Erm not sure :/ i originaly wanted a super sports 600 but im not paying silly money for insurance so i will need to do some quotes on a few other bikes that will be around 80bhp.
Plus the bike needs to be a decent size as im 6ft and just under 17st so i dont want to look silly if you get what i mean.
(26-03-2015, 04:25 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: This is not going to be a good thread for my wallet, really trying to get my bike licence done. I'd like something along the lines of a Honda XR650R
Do it! Its sooo much fun even training for tests is fun,

Its cost me £650 for the whole lot from start to finish, but could cost more if any retests are needed, obviously prices will vary from other training schools but i thought it wasnt that bad.
Thanks given by:
I'm a bike rider Smile

Advice I would give in regards to getting your first bike would be to get something upright, and something to learn on. Also, don't be fooled by thinking more bhp equals a higher insurance. While this is often the case with cars its totally incorrect with bikes. Ie: my current bike is cheaper to insure than most commuter 250-500cc bikes despite having twice the capacity and well over three times the power.

I started on a GSXR 600 during a snowy winter. It taught me a lot but it was hard work. I don't agree that people need to advance their bikes in 'steps' in reference to their power and performance, but I do agree with a forgiving bike to learn finer control on. For instance, a novice move that would cause a slight bar wobble on a Suzuki SV650 might cause you to end up in the scenery on something with pin sharp steering like a Yamaha R1. That being said, I ignored advice and got what I wanted and was ok. If you have your heart set on a certain bike just get it. Nothing else will do Smile

Furthermore, assess how good a rider you are. Scooters and 125's are one thing, but when you've got a bit of shove behind you, observation and control/reactions really come into play. I remember my first week of riding I was so concerned trying to get comfortable on my GSXR that I forgot about the low speed corner and hit it far too fast. I got target fixation and locked the brakes, something I would not have done had I a bit more experience. I was lucky not to crash. On another occasion I misjudged an overtake, and that really did end badly.

Read some decent online reviews of bikes you're interested in on MCN or Visordown and see what you think.

I've had five bikes now and they have all been great in their own way.

1999 Suzuki GSXR 600
2013 Yamaha XJR1300
2001 Yamaha FZS600
2004 Suzuki GSXR 1000
2008 BMW K1200R

Here is the BMW which I still have.

[Image: 20150326_171300.jpg]
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Cheers pebbles ill take all your advice into consideration and will start getting insurance quotes on bigger bikes also

Nice bm you have there, whats it like?
Thanks given by:
No problem Smile

That's just my opinion though, lots of people have different experiences. Worth signing up to Pistonheads.com and posting in the "biker banter" section. Some good knowledge there.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about a big bike, I wanted and still do want a Zx7r. I thought they looked mean as f*ck and awesome so I asked for advice on a different forum and I got a load of people telling me to start small or update the donor card so I opted for the zxr400 which actually was awesome however I only rode it maybe a hundred miles before it knocked over and then damaged again and now it's totally stripped as I decided to fully rebuild it. So I basically started riding on the Zx9r which I bought after the 400 and you know what. It's easy to do 30mph or it and it's easy to do 60mph, yeah it's easy to do 140 on it as well but as long as you've got restraint it's not as dangerous as a small bike.

I'm 5ft 8 and the nine is a bit too big for me, I'm on tippy toes with it but it's a great bike, easy to ride, not sore for long journeys. It was supposed to be a sports bike back in the day but it's really suited for a sports tourer. They're pretty cheap so maybe take a look at one if you get a chance.

These are my bikes, still own all three. Except the 400 is just a frame at the minute.
Zxr400
[Image: Photo0033.jpg]

Zx9r
[Image: 20120320_185150.jpg]

R1
[Image: PTi35Q4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Want a bike soon myself. Took my a1 test 2 and half years ago at the age of 18 so it's now a full license (took it just before the license change) yet to actually buy my first 'big bike' as I got so sidetracked with other things.
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2015, 07:02 PM)Spoonaltap Wrote: Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about a big bike, I wanted and still do want a Zx7r. I thought they looked mean as f*ck and awesome so I asked for advice on a different forum and I got a load of people telling me to start small or update the donor card so I opted for the zxr400 which actually was awesome however I only rode it maybe a hundred miles before it knocked over and then damaged again and now it's totally stripped as I decided to fully rebuild it. So I basically started riding on the Zx9r which I bought after the 400 and you know what. It's easy to do 30mph or it and it's easy to do 60mph, yeah it's easy to do 140 on it as well but as long as you've got restraint it's not as dangerous as a small bike.

I'm 5ft 8 and the nine is a bit too big for me, I'm on tippy toes with it but it's a great bike, easy to ride, not sore for long journeys. It was supposed to be a sports bike back in the day but it's really suited for a sports tourer. They're pretty cheap so maybe take a look at one if you get a chance.

These are my bikes, still own all three. Except the 400 is just a frame at the minute.
Zxr400
[Image: Photo0033.jpg]

Zx9r
[Image: 20120320_185150.jpg]

R1
[Image: PTi35Q4.jpg]

Damn that r1 looks the bizz!
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2015, 06:28 PM)Strikeforce Wrote: Nice bm you have there, whats it like?

It's a great bike, that is still capable of some proper sports riding, ie: knee dragging and 150+ mph speeds! 

It's by no means a proper sports bike though. It's long and heavy, and steers fairly slowly, but it's very good for a hyper tourer thing, as good as, if not better than a a lot of other nakeds for hurling round a track. Many considered it better than a Suzuki Hayabusa or B-King in that respect.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2015, 11:43 PM)Pebbles167 Wrote:
(26-03-2015, 06:28 PM)Strikeforce Wrote: Nice bm you have there, whats it like?

It's a great bike, that is still capable of some proper sports riding, ie: knee dragging and 150+ mph speeds! 

It's by no means a proper sports bike though. It's long and heavy, and steers fairly slowly, but it's very good for a hyper tourer thing, as good as, if not better than a a lot of other nakeds for hurling round a track. Many considered it better than a Suzuki Hayabusa or B-King in that respect.

Sweet.
I need to get some bum on seat time with a few bikes to give me an idea of what im wanting, got tomorrow off so im off to visit a few dealers Smile
Thanks given by:
Go for it Smile

Be prepared for a lot of dealers to not allow test rides. I found that most wanted me to have had my license at least a year. That said, I was 21 at the time, so maybe age is your friend.

Until you sit on something yourself, no one can definitely tell you whats comfortable and whats not, but they can advise based on their size/weight etc. I'm 5'8" and i fit on just about everything. I have never felt anything was too big or small.

Also, something I learned is that not all sports bikes are uncomfortable, while a lot of uprights are. My GSXR 1000 was supremely comfy! Massive power, but easy handling and good wind protection without positioning your arse above your hands. I loved it, and to this day it's the best bike I've owned (jury is not yet out on the BMW as I've not had it long)

Here she was in all her glory, I miss her Sad

[Image: 20140806_140300.jpg]
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
(27-03-2015, 12:05 AM)Pebbles167 Wrote: Go for it Smile

Be prepared for a lot of dealers to not allow test rides. I found that most wanted me to have had my license at least a year. That said, I was 21 at the time, so maybe age is your friend.

Until you sit on something yourself, no one can definitely tell you whats comfortable and whats not, but they can advise based on their size/weight etc. I'm 5'8" and i fit on just about everything. I have never felt anything was too big or small.

Also, something I learned is that not all sports bikes are uncomfortable, while a lot of uprights are. My GSXR 1000 was supremely comfy! Massive power, but easy handling and good wind protection without positioning your arse above your hands. I loved it, and to this day it's the best bike I've owned (jury is not yet out on the BMW as I've not had it long)

Here she was in all her glory, I miss her Sad

[Image: 20140806_140300.jpg]

Stunning bike,
My instructer told me that his best bike he ever had was a gsxr750 he has owned and ridden many bikes but that was his favourite and said it was super comfey.
I do really want a propper sports bike but i dont want to be paying silly money for insurance, i did that as a teen and dont plan on doing it again lol.
So i will be buying a tamer bike to get me a ncb then insurance and experience should bring the price down abit.
Im a confident rider but not cockey either, i gained alot of experience on my cbr125 (circa 25000 miles) albeit a low power bike but it tought me alot about awareness and anticipation that i never would of learned driving my cars. Its a whole different ball game.

Anyway cant wait to get my first "big" bike im like a kid at christmas lmao
Thanks given by:
Chris, you know how you said you chose a powerful bike and you were ok...didn't you nearly die? lmao

Or does narrowly escaping death count as ok? lmao
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2015, 06:28 PM)Strikeforce Wrote: Cheers pebbles ill take all your advice into consideration and will start getting insurance quotes on bigger bikes also

Nice bm you have there, whats it like?

Now ask him which bike but him in hospital for quite a stretch

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(27-03-2015, 07:35 AM)Strikeforce Wrote:
(27-03-2015, 12:05 AM)Pebbles167 Wrote: Go for it Smile

Most dealers require you've had your licence at least 2 years for test rides but some will let you test ride one if they can follow you lol
Thanks given by:
The bike I binned it on was my XJR1300.. The slow comfy bugger! Which is why I say it's not so important which bike you get, as my early days on the GSXR were ok Smile

Here was the damage.

From this:
[Image: IMG_0435.jpg]

To This:
[Image: 20140224_134401.jpg]
[Image: Crash.jpg]
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
(27-03-2015, 03:31 PM)Pebbles167 Wrote: The bike I binned it on was my XJR1300.. The slow comfy bugger! Which is why I say it's not so important which bike you get, as my early days on the GSXR were ok Smile

Here was the damage.

From this:
[Image: IMG_0435.jpg]

To This:
[Image: 20140224_134401.jpg]
[Image: Crash.jpg]

Ouch! What was the damage?
I get what people are saying that faster bikes = more of a chance of a serious injury but truth is it can happen on any bike, either by your own mistake or someone elses, the throttle is not an off and on switch,

Had a couple of offs with my 125's, came off my scooter at 65mph ended up with some pretty bad road rash, broken collar bone and a broken wrist!
Another was my cbr125 when i wasnt paying attention infront of me! Had to brake as hard as i could and i went over the handle bars and into the car infront, i was literaly half in and half out of her boot.
Ended up with a gash in the knee and cuts to my stomach but was ok really.

I understand the dangers of bikes but i also understand how fun they are and for me its worth the risk everytime.

Ride safe people!
Thanks given by:
Shame about the bike, at least you still have the nice 306 in the background....oh wait. Big Grin

I'm only messing with you. lmao
The 306 you sold me definitely wasn't crashed nor was it on fire. Big Grin
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
so you have been riding a bike for some time and know that every car driver is a poor driver ( sorry dudes but its a fact, apart from dudes on here of course Angry  ) and is gunna kill you!!!!!!

go for something that is a good fit for you, and remember that the more power the more riding ability it will need ( control of your right wrist ) ...........and that real bikers ( like you an me ) ride in all weathers, rather than the plastic fantastic jewelry type sunny day rider.

don't go for an all out ridiculously fast bike at first but a more commuter type.....kwak er model, which are good and will take you places like the highest pass in wales ( Bwlch y groes down to dinas mawddwy is a lovely ride out ) and Scotland, and cornwall etc etc etc .....see the country back roads and then nthe world!

the mrs don't like it on the back of mine in the wet..........that why I ( we ) had to get a car, pug 306 estate rules.

Another was my cbr125 when i wasnt paying attention infront of me! Had to brake as hard as i could and i went over the handle bars and into the car infront, i was literaly half in and half out of her boot.

do you know of a moe and cat??

The bike I binned it on was my XJR1300.. The slow comfy bugger! Which is why I say it's not so important which bike you get, as my early days on the GSXR were ok

how did that happen dude??  twas a nice bike, but not my taste as not a shaft drive ( gt750 kwak not a bloody bmw as I don't own the road and don't have a party badge ).
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pokemon Go Chat Thread ginge191 50 9,412 24-07-2016, 06:37 PM
Last Post: cpikey316_
  The Random Chat/Insomnia/Procrastination Thread WiNgNuTz 1,781 637,518 17-09-2014, 04:11 AM
Last Post: WiNgNuTz
  Formula One Chat Ben Jay 24 5,720 07-04-2014, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Pompey306mark