Stop light on

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop light on
So gave the old girl a good clean today, then decided to take her out for a drive.

Pulled up at a set of traffic lights and noticed the red 'STOP' light was on permanent.

I panicked so immediately pulled over and turned her off. Checked oil and it was fine, started her up again and STOP light was still on.

Engine isn't making any untoward noises, oil level is fine, temperature when running is fine and heaters are really warm just like they were before.

Took up the rev range a few times and drove her back home and it's been fine, however the STOP light remained on and is still on now if I go out and start her up.

Thinking a sensor is knackered or something?

Any suggestions?!

Oh, it is a 1.8 16v by the way.

Cheers
Opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one, and we all think everyone elses stinks.
Thanks given by:
Brake fluid level, brake pads, coolant level.

Or most likely...earth issue! Check your earths and harness plugs.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It'll most likely be something to do with the fans...do your fans work? The stop light never comes on for anything useful in my experience! lol
Thanks given by:
Brake pads were new a couple of months ago, brake fluid should be fine.

Coolant is fine.

Could be an earth, can check that.

How can I tell if my fans work without waiting for her to get up to a certain temperature (whatever this is?) before they come on? Any other way?

Just seems strange it is doing this since I've washed her, thinking it is something electrical because of water.

Cheers
Opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one, and we all think everyone elses stinks.
Thanks given by:
If I remember correctly, unplugging the brown sensor on thermostat housing with just ignition on should cause the fans to kick in immediately? Is that correct?

If so then my fans do not appear to be working as I get nothing at all when I unplug brown sensor (and ignition was on).

I've read up and seen others have had the STOP light on when their Bitron unit has given up. I'm wondering if my problems is linked to the fans like Tom suggested? Wondering if I've buggered the Bitron unit or something after giving it a wash yesterday and water has got inside something?
Thanks given by:
Did you actually check the brake fluid? As well as the connections ontop.
Thanks given by:
Fans should come on fast speed when brown unplugged aye!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine stop light GTI6 cully 4 4,290 01-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Stop light Davidwheaty 6 1,566 09-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Last Post: doski
  S16 STOP light Frosty 35 7,578 04-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Last Post: puglove