S16 STOP light

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S16 STOP light
After a bit of help here. Just got my S16 on the road but the stop light comes on sometimes. It isn't on all the time and sometimes its bright and sometimes dull. Also the little light on the temperature comes on at the same time as the stop light. i have check all the levels and the fans work fine and everything. It also never gets to hot, stays just below 90oc.

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks given by:
oil level ok? . . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Yeah all levels are fine! I plugged the car into the computer at work and there were no faults in the engine and the engine temperature was fine as well.

On the way home from work the light was on to start off with for about a mile it was on dull and then it went out for the rest of the way home which is about 6 miles and was off all the time. So when I got home I switched the engine off and left it for 10 mins and then started it and the light was back on but dull again
Thanks given by:
What computer did you plug into buddy? I have and led that plugs in and you count the flashes lol

What about the little switch on the handbrake?
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2012, 06:08 PM)Jonny b Wrote: What computer did you plug into buddy? I have and led that plugs in and you count the flashes lol

What about the little switch on the handbrake?

I used the Bosch 1 we got at work which is pretty good. It's the light that actually says STOP. And the little light on the temperature gauge comes on as well
Thanks given by:
Sure my stop light comes on with handbrake as well
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It might do but I think it's something to do with the temperature/cooling system wiring or a sensor
Thanks given by:
Check the brown sensor on the thermostat housing. Clean it up with a bit of carb cleaner and will sort it.

Ive had exactly the same issue on my GTi6.

You will find the fans seem to kick in early and stay on when the STOP light is coming on now and again
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2012, 09:01 AM)friar241 Wrote: Check the brown sensor on the thermostat housing. Clean it up with a bit of carb cleaner and will sort it.

Ive had exactly the same issue on my GTi6.

You will find the fans seem to kick in early and stay on when the STOP light is coming on now and again

cheers for that. i have tried cleaning the conector but it was still on so i have it disconnected at the moment and it all seems fine. im going to take the sensor off a spare engine i got and see if that does the trick
Thanks given by:
the lights seems to be coming on again with the sensor disconnected! it the brown sensor. when it comes on now it is on bright abd comes and goes. any ideas?
Thanks given by:
i replaced the brown sensor last night with a new 1 and the stop light is still always on. anyone got anymore ideas what it could be?
Thanks given by:
Bled the coolant?
Thanks given by:
i will check its bleed ok that but im pretty shore it is ok. its just abit strange why it is sometimes bright and other time faded
Thanks given by:
Did you ever sort this? I got exactly the same issue with the STOP light being on before the car is started and dull when its running.

I have replaced:-
the brown coolant sensor
the green coolant sensor
the bitron unit/air-con ecu
heating controls
battery [with a 61ah 610cca]

and checked:-
the connections by the rad
tested for continuity and no shorts in the brown coolant sensor wiring
made sure the battery is firmly connected

Has anyone got an idea what the problem is? Or any suggestions on what to try next.
Thanks given by:
No I still ain't managed to fix it. It's a pain! I think my next step is to check the earths. Surely we 2 can't be the only 2 who have been unlucky and got this problem! Someone must know the way to fix it!!
Thanks given by:
Bit of an update, not sure if yours is the same nufc4frosty but i noticed today that there appears to be clicking noise coming from the fan relays. i'll look closer in the light tomorrow but does this help with any suggestions?
Thanks given by:
I've never heard any clicking on mine I will try and have a listen when the light comes on. Is your light on all the time? Mine seems to come on more when the engine warms up! Sometime bright and some time dull. What engine are you having the problem with?
Thanks given by:
so bit of an update on this. about a mounth ago the bleed screw on the top of the thermostat housing was leaking a little so i changed that and ever since then the light had stayed out till last week when the light come back on and has been on ever since then.

i think my next step is going to be to change the temp gauge switch which is the blue 1 just to see if that makes any difference
Thanks given by:
Take the bulb out? Tongue

Mines not come on since summer got a feeling it may be the stat itself
Thanks given by:
I would take the bulb out but I want to try and sort it properly really.

I changed the blue temp switch and it's still no different Sad

I'm going to try and get round to plugging it into the computer at work to see if there any faults
Thanks given by:
I had exactly this 2 weeks ago...ph1 turbo d mind...

I threaded about it.

It may not be but the symptoms are exactly the same as I had....dim stop light and coolant light on...

I then noticed my reverse lights were not working....

Turned out to be a fuse which had blown but then refused itself...causing a resistance in the line and allowing half the voltage through...

worth a try...multimeter each fuse either side for voltage and checking resitances
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Does it say STOP or STAHP?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2012, 10:44 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: I had exactly this 2 weeks ago...ph1 turbo d mind...

I threaded about it.

It may not be but the symptoms are exactly the same as I had....dim stop light and coolant light on...

I then noticed my reverse lights were not working....

Turned out to be a fuse which had blown but then refused itself...causing a resistance in the line and allowing half the voltage through...

worth a try...multimeter each fuse either side for voltage and checking resitances

Ok cheers for than. I will try and have a go at that tomorrow

(11-12-2012, 10:46 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Does it say STOP or STAHP?

Defiantly STOP
Thanks given by:
Piggy1987 dont suppose you remeber what number fuse you found it to be? i had a quick play last night and couldnt find any blown
Thanks given by:
So I fort that I sorted this the other day. Well it just randomly stopped coming on back along for a few weeks but then come back on so last week i bleed the cooling system up again and a lot of air come out of 1 bleeder and the stop light went out. But tonight it decided to come back on randomly. The only think is that I went over a speed bump (slowly) and it was on all the way home. I got home and checked the system was bleed up and all ok but stop light doesn't want to go out

Anyone good any ideas?
Thanks given by:
brake fluid level mate

if you look on your master cylinder it had a picture of the stop light that your talking about , i had it too it was when the brake fluid gets low
Thanks given by:
The brake fluid is fine. When the stop light is on the temp light is on as well so I think it's got to be to do with coolant
Thanks given by:
What did this turn out to be bud? Wev just took ryan@306'ph1 gti6 for the first time in 8years and it has exactly the same problem

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
I haven't really sorted it to be honest. Is his stop light on and the over heating temp light?

what i would say it to bleed the cooling system. i bled my cooling system and the lights went out but they would just come back on and then stay on. its really strange. theres also some sensors on the back of the thermostat housing. a brown 1 and a blue 1. check the wiring to them and the connections.

i have now taken my blub out of my stop light as it was just in my face all the time but the over heating light obversly stayed on but it went out today and i didnt do anything to it. im just going to see if it stays off over the weekend.

off topic but are you going to the RR meet tomorrow?
Thanks given by:
change the fan relays
the hdi and the TU1 engine see these and faults if they are fobared there are two relays slow and fast speed and maybe a resistor
The TU1 logs a fault in ecu with the relays out or faulty normaly the ecu refers the fault to the temp sensor though the ecu needs reseting after the fault is cleared or strange things happen
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stop light on Ash J 6 1,578 16-03-2015, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Engine stop light GTI6 cully 4 4,286 01-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Stop light Davidwheaty 6 1,545 09-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Last Post: doski