Easter Weekend Overhaul: Advice Please!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easter Weekend Overhaul: Advice Please!
Was gonna say looks like a slide off one to me. You need to disconnect the lines to do an axle anyway.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I've definitely seen pics in a guide thread where someone changed a beam without disconnecting the brake lines, it wasn't on here, think it may've been 205 owners or something, but was a 306 beam I'm sure. Simon (C2K) told me about it I think. Can't find the thread now though so doubting myself! Confused

If it turns out you need to remove them, make sure you get some penetrating fluid on the bleed nipples asap, will be frustrating if you get everything done then snap a nipple off trying to bleed it!!
Thanks given by:
I always disconnect the lines. Some you can undo the back plate with all the brakes attached and hang aside. Imo not worth doing. May as well change the fluid out while your there.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
But you do risk damaging nipples, lines, crossthreading unions etc like that. I had a hell of a job sorting the brake lines on the china HDi...you've seen the 'spaghetti' style lines it has now haha. If I could've just hung the calipers I'd have much rather done that in hindsight.
Thanks given by:
BOOM! Was a bit if a faff, took some lateral thinking, but the whole arm which bolts to the boot floor splits from the beam, and then you can thread the beam through the brake pipes/cables. 

Rebuilt the rear end, brakes etc are back on. Moved onto the front, drivers side first, shock off fairly easy but getting them on took some force. Passenger side the same, but lost a little gearbox oil, will this be okay? It was a pretty small volume, and I guess it shouldn't make much difference. 

Only thing I can't figure out, how do you tell how far up the shock the upright should go? On both sides there are two different protrusions, one short one lower down, and a couple longer ones slightly higher up. 

On the pass side, the short one goes fits in the split in the upright, but this isn't the case on the drivers side. Does anyone know a sure fire way of getting it in the right place? 

Aside from that, suspension is done, just need to pop the exhaust back on again, and then it's ready for a test drive. After that if I have time I'll do oil and filter change, and some other odds and ends, but they can be done in Brum anyway. 
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Nice one, thinking outside the box lol. lol

As for the schocks, are they OE units? Theres a small 'flare' that sits on the hub when its in far enough. As long as the slit is lined up, put a jack under the hub to take the weight and give it a 'tap' with a hammer to seat it.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, beats snapping bleed nipples, like you say!

They are, yeah. There is sort of a flare, but there are also these little protrusions, so I wasn't sure. We've got them bolted in at the top, so they're definitely lined up properly. We did wonder if they were sided, and they are, but they'll only work one way round because of the tabs for the drop links, so I'm still a little unsure!
Thanks given by:
Not seen them without the locating tab on before, pic? As you say, just make sure the droplink mount is lined up right. Having them bolted in at the top doesn't guarantee it's lined up btw; they can rotate on the top mount.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ahh, then I guess the little lump is supposed to go down the split then. Do they just rotate by force?
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's right, may need to hammer the drop link bracket to turn the shock.
Thanks given by:
Sweet, not too much hassle then.

Finished the passenger side, caught the down pipe with the new seal and stuff (left the old studs on, f*ck trying to get those out). Rest of the exhaust is ready to go on.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I had that thought when replacing my exhaust gasket, f*ck snapping those lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Done the big stuff, took it for a drive, all good. No issues going through the gears so hopefully the loss of oil is no biggy. Proper tractor spec now though! Pics to follow.
Thanks given by:
Well tbf these boxes are meant to take 1.9 litres, the last time you/someone else filled it up probably put the whole 2 litre bottles in, so the tiny bit you spilled won't make much of a difference
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I figure it'll be alright. Tractor spec pictures, and one of the sad exhaust!
Thanks given by:
Lol, that still needs to settle! lol Plus are they tight arse 50 profiles?

Glad you got it all sorted though!! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
They are 50s yeah.

Here's an interesting one, what's the gold box?? My motor that's just come off on the left, replacement on the right. 
Thanks given by:
(06-04-2015, 01:40 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: They are 50s yeah.

Here's an interesting one, what's the gold box?? My motor that's just come off on the left, replacement on the right. 

Eh?
Thanks given by:
Might help if the pic was there lol...
Thanks given by:
Stupid phone
Thanks given by:
It's a bodge for something! No idea what though.
Thanks given by:
Nor me it's just spliced in to the wiper loom,  not connected to anything else. 
Thanks given by:
Flux capacitor.. Only reasonable explanation..
Thanks given by:
It's bridging the black and grey wires, won't let me upload a photo
Thanks given by:
A resistor or fuse would be my guess. Quite why it's there I have no idea.
Thanks given by:
Well whatever it is, it's back on the car now, as the replacement I bought didn't work. D'oh.
Thanks given by:
looks like a high power resistor

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Any idea why it'd be there...?
Thanks given by:
Probably to bodge something when it didn't work...hence the replacement not working... Confused

Did your auto setting work? Just wondering if someone had bodged an intermittent in somehow instead, electronics aren't my strong point though so that could be impossible lol.
Thanks given by:
probably the high or low speed shunt in the motor was faulty, so they bridged a resistor to give the second speed on the first winding Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family Easter 306pc 3 1,327 07-04-2015, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Iceman299
  mummy how are Easter eggs made? cully 9 1,856 12-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Ian