Trackace DIY Wheel Aligment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trackace DIY Wheel Aligment
So, Dan showed me this in the chatbox the other day.

Focus and GTi6 both need tracking done ideally - look at the same cost to have both done or to buy this tool which is obviously useable many times over.

When I first saw it I was sceptical, but after I read through the site and watched the 'how to' videos it actually seems like a decent bit of kit! Has anyone on here got one or used one? Any major downsides? I know you can't adjust in real time and have to adjust then check again but once you know how far one turn of the rods is, it should be fairly easy to get it right first time after that.

http://www.trackace.co.uk/index.html

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Might as well just get a set of these off ebay for cheap. http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.as...results=16

Loads of old garages sell theirs once they get laser. Set went for under 100. Same issue though they don't track it to the rear.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I've looked at DIY tracking stuff before, it can be done - but it looks like alot of hassle.
You've gotta properly setup your working area, needs to be flat etc.

Seemed like a right pain in the ass.
Thanks given by:
Not a bad idea, didn't realise they'd sell proper ones so cheap considering what they cost now. Problem with old ones though is they've probably been dropped 50 times by apprentices and put out of calibration lol. lol

Does it matter about tracking to rear? Its only to centralise the wheel I thought, so can just roll forward to centralise the tyres, then match the steering wheel to that if that makes sense?

As for a flat area, it doesn't need to be dead flat with this is system as the mirror stand is moveable. Seems like it'd be easier/more accurate than the Gunson Trakrite that you drive over.
Thanks given by:
Or just take it back and get them to set your steering wheel straight like they should have done in the first place
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Still have to pay for the 6 to be done anyway though. Plus an hours round trip for each car, then having to sit trapped in the waiting room without a car, and the potential for it to still be wrong after. Easier, quicker and cheaper to do it myself if this system works...
Thanks given by:
You only have to do it once unless you make a point of bouncing off kerbs...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Once per car, per year...every car I buy seems to have poor tracking!

And yeah I seem to have a kerb issue lately as well. lol
Thanks given by:
It's because of the shoulder-height window sills and 2 foot thick pillars on that Focus Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
National tyres with the voucher on their site is 15 fir tracking so pretty good
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
I’ve got one of these – does pay for itself if doing a few cars or using it a few times. It can be a bit fiddly to set up to begin with but once you get used to it then it is simple and quite quick to use. Just got to keep an eye that the legs leaning against the wheel rim do keep in contact, but if it’s leaning at enough of an angle then it’s usually fine – that probably won’t mean much unless you’re using it, if you get one
Thanks given by:
Or you could use the 'string box' method which will cost you even less and be just as accurate!

Just to clear up the misconception, the steering wheel being Central has absolutely nothing to do with correct tracking. The rack should be centralised when tracked up and the steering wheel removed and re-positioned to suit.
Oh and tyre monkeys with tracking gauges and laser beams generally don't have an f-ing clue about car suspension/steering geometry I'm afraid.
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2015, 08:41 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: It's because of the shoulder-height window sills and 2 foot thick pillars on that Focus Wink

Who said it was the Focus? Clipped the 306 NSR twice in a day last week. lol Its like some days I lose all special awareness. lol Tbf, its only parking in the Focus for exactly the reason you say, door sills are so high you cant see over them lol. Not sure theres an excuse in the 306...I'll blame its shit tracking for now... Big Grin

(07-02-2015, 10:02 PM)lolsteve Wrote: National tyres with the voucher on their site is 15 fir tracking so pretty good

Yeah but I've seen the guys that work there... Had one tyre fitted for my Dad and I knew it wouldn't hold air more than a week...took about half hour as well! Would stick with F1 if having it done professionally tbh.

(07-02-2015, 10:38 PM)Mark Wrote: I’ve got one of these – does pay for itself if doing a few cars or using it a few times. It can be a bit fiddly to set up to begin with but once you get used to it then it is simple and quite quick to use. Just got to keep an eye that the legs leaning against the wheel rim do keep in contact, but if it’s leaning at enough of an angle then it’s usually fine – that probably won’t mean much unless you’re using it, if you get one

Ah good, nice to get a response from someone that's used one! Smile

(07-02-2015, 11:15 PM)allanallen Wrote: Or you could use the 'string box' method which will cost you even less and be just as accurate!

Just to clear up the misconception, the steering wheel being Central has absolutely nothing to do with correct tracking. The rack should be centralised when tracked up and the steering wheel removed and re-positioned to suit.
Oh and tyre monkeys with tracking gauges and laser beams generally don't have an f-ing clue about car suspension/steering geometry I'm afraid.

Tbh the string method confuses me and looks like it takes an age to set up lol. Confused The laser things looks much simpler, and I don't mind paying for a tool that I'll use for years to come.

Presumably the wheel would've been fitted correctly at the factory, so it should be central with the rack anyway? Cant really move the Focus wheel as it sits on a 6pt nut rather than ~20pt spline like any other wheel I've seen lol.
Thanks given by:
String, bars, axle stands and a rule. Very simple and effective.

Presumably yes it should be central, judging by the amount of cars you see with centralised steering wheels and non centralised racks most obviously aren't though.
Has the focus got a marker or a locking hole on the rack for dead centre?
Thanks given by:
another vote for string ThumbsUp

Although I now go by eye and then take it to a local place who check it over for free as materates. I'm always bang on or only a fraction off!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2015, 11:33 PM)allanallen Wrote: Has the focus got a marker or a locking hole on the rack for dead centre?

No idea... I'm more used to Peugeots... lol

(07-02-2015, 11:44 PM)Piggy Wrote: another vote for string ThumbsUp

Although I now go by eye and then take it to a local place who check it over for free as materates. I'm always bang on or only a fraction off!

By eye? You must have a straight eye then, I cant even get number plates level by eye lol
Thanks given by: