New Years resolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Years resolution
(14-01-2015, 06:29 PM)John1.4 Wrote: i started to go to the gym, mainly to lose weight and improve my cardio while the weather is shit and cold,

if you can manage, i've found running has really improved my fitness, couple of 10-12 minute miles in the morning 3 days a week (basically a jog) before breakfast, sometimes adding a 4 mile afternoon run or something like that when the tide is out, and i've lost nearly a stone in a couple of months that's staying off, i hope to be down around 14 stone in april as i don't want to be lugging excess weight around a half marathon

as far as meals go, i eat my largest meal at breakfast (most often at work so bacon roll / sausage muffin, hashbrown and tea), never really hungry after work, so i generally have my afternoon meal at about 4ish which could be a bit of poached salmon on a salad, or if mum has cooked i'll have a small portion of cottage pie or beef stew etc, then that'd be it, barring a snack of fruit or occasionally choc in the evening,
(todays was ham sarnie after work and chicken noodles with sliced chicken and sweet chilli sauce for dinner, no run or gym today)

ps i'm training slowly for a marathon before i'm 30, so this year i'm getting ready for 2 half-marathons, and i only started running in october, that's my motivation

Thanks John. I am planning on running and cycling a fair bit to up my exercise. More so cycling because I'm starting to have a few issues with my left knee. Most of this will be at the gym to start with for now because i can look at all the yoga pants scuff and its dry lol.
Weight doesn't bother me. According to the BMI table, I'm obese. Im sure anyone who has met me can confirm I'm not lol. In my eyes, you can be as heavy as you like, providing it isn't fat!
With regards to breakfast, i may just start having a bit of fruit. I know like piggy says, it normally has a bit of sugar but it should keep me going until lunch, maybe even till dinner time rather than going down the cafe for lunch or a supermarket sarnie lol
Biggest issue is i would binge eat some times and just eat crap. Could happily eat a few bags of crisps and a chocolate bar or two throughout the day but thats all stopping now!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2015, 10:49 PM)Niall Wrote:
(14-01-2015, 10:43 PM)Orta Wrote: Sorry but iceman is correct. I lost 5 stone in 8 months 10 years ago and was eating McDonald's all the time... Just not anything besides.

(14-01-2015, 10:19 PM)Josh1994 Wrote: Is there a fast way to lose weight? I need some advice as well..

Stop eating and excerise. No magic pill bud sorry

In theory i can imagine you guys are right. If your taking in 2000 calories a day but doing 2500 calories worth of work for arguments sake then in theory you would loose weight. The issue is all the other unhealthy chemicals and stuff in things like Mcdonalds lol

Fair bit of good info in here guys. Thanks Smile
Piggy, i can't really eat breakfast. Im just not hungry when i wake up and even in the past when I've tried having breakfast at home before work, i just end up actually making my self feel ill. If i could have breakfast at about 10 then that would be fine but I'm normally busy working by then....or sitting in traffic Sad
The issue with taking sandwiches in with me is like i say, they just go horrible. Most of the time i don't eat until about 2pm so they would of been sitting in a car all day sweating. And no one likes sweaty sarnies lol. Also, i just don't get the time to stop so like i say, id rather something i can just eat on the go. Things like energy bars or a shake would be ideal but its a case of finding something that will work ok with me. Theres no point in me having a protein shake for example if I'm not going to be doing enough exercise that day to take it into account otherwise it will just do me more damage than good!
Start day with a banana? Or have it at 10. Get first bite in early. And drink water too.

Btw those living off 2000 Cals of McDonalds or such craps. I'd watch for diabetes, cholesterol and fatty build ups etc. Get a blood test. Weight is not everything. It's like using shit oil. The problems won't be immediate, but you are doing damage. Wouldn't want any of you guys popping a gasket Smile
Thanks given by:
^100% agree with that. I just mean continue eating what you eat, just eat less of it.

Main reason why people give up after a couple of weeks is they completely change their diet and expect to see results straight away then get fed up of eating healthy foods they dont like and seeing no immediete results.

When i lost weight i was eating junk, but a lot less than i normally would have, so i lost weight and my junk intake was also less which is also another positive.
Thanks given by:
CBA to read the entire thread, so apologies if any of this is a repeat of what others have said.

Diet is No.1. Eat sensible, and that will lead to training sensible. Its no good doing a 25km run to then go home and sink 10 beers and a pizza. Your body can only repair itself from what you give it to do so.

No2. Regular, but not too regular exercise. Exercising regularly is obviously good for cardio, as well as muscle strain and growth. Exercise too regularly and you will not give your muscles enough time to repair and grow, leading to decreased results. Have adequate rest periods between training sessions for maximum results.

No3. Discipline. Stick to it. No good doing it for a month then knocking it on the head.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Dum Dum has the right idea, the only thing which has ever had a noticeable impact on me is increasing your water intake.
Ice cold water isn't always great either, it can make you feel hungry. Water which is a bit cooler than room temperature is much better (not warm water though).

With regards to your sentiment though, Yes, my target is to get into shape. I want to add muscle and tone without really losing too much weight, so I have invested in a barbell (already had a bench sat unused in my dads garage).

Try finding time to exercise when you have a young family though!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2015, 12:22 AM)IC.A.R. Wrote: Try finding time to exercise when you have a young family though!

Know the feeling. I get too lazy when i plan to train at home. I just love food too much Sad 
I'm into worlds strongest man and pro bodybuilding, as a spectator, so that tends to keep me motivated once i start. 
I find i'm either on or off, 2 extremes with no middle balance lol 
Current status: off lol
Thanks given by:
Must be where my wife is going wrong.
We will start eating take aways now and get healthy and fit that way!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2015, 10:19 PM)Josh1994 Wrote: Is there a fast way to lose weight? I need some advice as well..

Yes, liposuction.  Really quick, not cheap though. lol
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2015, 08:42 AM)Piggy Wrote: Must be where my wife is going wrong.
We will start eating take aways now and get healthy and fit that way!

Healthy doesn't equal fat loss, which is what the point of the thread is lol
Thanks given by:
Apart from that Tom lol, I am going to do what iceman did..
[Image: Cropped%20pic.png]
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
I'd rather be overweight and healthy than thin and dying.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'm not saying eat only junk food to lose weight.

My point is eat what you already eat but just check the calorie content and track your calories so your body uses more calories daily than you put in.

The reason newbie's find it so difficult and confusing when trying to get in shape is they get bombarded with people telling them to completely change their diet; to eat only fruit and veg with no snacks or food they like inc junk food.

Go to the gym, exercise and eat what you enjoy in moderation. Simples Smile
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the advice, I use to eat a lot of junk food and because I have epilepsy the tablets I take use to make me hungry all the time but now I have less food but I am going to go to the gym and loose more calories then i put in.
[Image: Cropped%20pic.png]
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
DNP. ninja
ECA stack. ninja

/stirsh1tup
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2015, 09:42 PM)Niall Wrote: Im pretty sure 95% of the population say they are going to get fit for their new years resolution right? lol
Basically, I've been doing less and less exercise and eating more and more shit due to work over the past few years and I've started putting a bit of weight on because of it. Also getting stupidly unfit at the moment so i need to do something about it!

Ive decided I'm going to go and sign up to my local gym with the intention of loosing some fat and then building some muscle (although I'm not thinking about that now...that can wait till I'm fitter lol). I was going to concentrate on cardio for now but i was wondering if anyone of you gym/health nuts could recommend any supplements which may help out? Also looking for something easy to do for lunches as I'm always on the move and basically live off of petrol station sandwiches because they are quick and easy (bit like some of the members on here :p ). I know some people have things like protein shakes for lunch and class that as a meal but if I'm honest, i don't have a clue about that sort of thing!
Any advice is much appreciated Smile

I would recommend using a calculator such as the following:

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

The most accurate way of determining your calorific requirements would be to buy a skin fold caliper (about £3 on eBay) and measure your % body fat; from this you can then calculate your lean body mass, and this is what your calorific intake will be based on Smile

Once you have your calorific requirements then break that down into Protein, carbs and fats. For example if you're looking to lose body fat whilst maintaining muscle then a high Protein intake would be best, for example 50% protein, 35% carbs and 15% fat. Once you have your targets you can create a rough diet plan so you've got an idea of the kinds of foods and quantities, I use excel for this.

I have been training for many years but I've always struggled with losing body fat, however, I've been following this principle for about 12 weeks and I've lost 6% body fat whilst maintaining lean mass.

If this is too in depth for you, then simply working out your calories required to lose weight and sticking to them will be effective, just not as effective as the above method.

If you're going to the gym then I would recommend going 3 times a week initially and do a mixture of weights and cardio for 45-60 mins. On your days off the gym and weekends try to do slightly more activity than you are doing currently, i.e walk instead of drive where possible etc.

(13-01-2015, 09:42 PM)Niall Wrote: I know some people have things like protein shakes for lunch and class that as a meal but if I'm honest, i don't have a clue about that sort of thing!

You can get meal replacement shakes but if you're not a fan of breakfast then I wouldn't advise having a liquid lunch! If anything if you were going to incorporate protein shakes into your diet then having one in the morning instead of breakfast would be best (as you don't like eating for breakfast). Meal replacement shakes are protein powder & carbohydrate powder combined to give you macros similar to a meal. 

Personally I think your best bet would be to get a cool bag and a decent lunch box and make yourself a healthy sandwich. I cook a chicken breast and slice it up and have it in a brown bread sandwich, you only have to cook it every couple of days and you can do it at the same time you're cooking dinner Smile couple that with some fruit and nuts and you've got a super healthy lunch  Big Grin P.S I would suggest 0% fat greek style yogurt too but I can't imagine that being to nice if it was warm  lol
Thanks given by: Niall , Josh1994
(15-01-2015, 02:31 PM)silverzx Wrote: DNP. ninja
ECA stack. ninja

/stirsh1tup

Loll cycling is the way to gainzz
Thanks given by:
Tartboy thanks for taking the time to write that all out. Lot of good information there Wink
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(14-01-2015, 10:57 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: [quote pid='506270' dateline='1421272378']

EAT LESS CALORIES THAN YOUR BODY NEEDS AND YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT, it is that simple!

EDIT: protein shakes are a waste of money, especially when dieting. Protein is protein, would you rather have a glass of protein milk or have a chicken breast which is the same amount of calories but has more protein, keeps you fuller and isn't full of crap to bulk up the powder volume.

[/quote]

Completely agree with regards to eating less. or alternatively eat the same quantity, but exercise more.

I would however beg to differ with the protein fact.

For example:

If I was to (and I do) take 2 whey protein shakes a day, each containing 23g, I would be consuming 46g of protein a day.
I buy protein at near as damn it £32 a tub, and that gives me 165 servings. Therefore 23g of protein costs me £0.19

If I was to try and achieve the same results from eating chicken, as you have given the example of; Based on there being 21g of protein in a 100g chicken breast, at £7.61/kg (taken from Sainsburys website) it would cost me £0.76 for 2g less protein. Multiply that by 165 servings - £125.40

Then factor in the fact your body will utilise more of the whey protein as it can be more readily adsorbed, and at a faster rate, leading to less waste.

I'm not saying 'don't eat chicken', its great. I would however argue that protein shakes do have their place and benefit

Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Grants a meat head.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Where you getting protein that cheap?? Lol
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2015, 02:25 PM)silverzx Wrote: Grants a meat head.

Far from. But thanks you sod :p

(16-01-2015, 03:36 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: Where you getting protein that cheap?? Lol

Olympus health

Been using it for about a month now. On par with other brands I have tried, and more than happy with how its performing (doesn't seem to give reallllly smelly farts either which is a massive bonus lol )

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Thats an awesome price for 5kg!

I have shakes during a bulk but while cutting i try and eat instead of drink protein simply due to satiety.
Cutting at sub 1800cals is hard enough without (imo)'wasting' ~150-200 cals on a drink lol

Edit: with regards to the price of chicken, you can get fresh breast pieces for £4/kg from a local butcher. I'd never pay £7/kg, i'd rather drink shakes for sure in that case! Lol
Thanks given by:
Am I alone in finding it peculiar how many guys work out at the gym these days? I swear my brother was in a tiny minority when he started going to the gym at the age of 18 (he's now about 27), whereas now I'm in a tiny minority that don't!

What is the motivation behind it? From a third person perspective it just seems like vanity, really, as most of them aren't getting any fitter, or healthier, just bigger.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2015, 11:45 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Am I alone in finding it peculiar how many guys work out at the gym these days? I swear my brother was in a tiny minority when he started going to the gym at the age of 18 (he's now about 27), whereas now I'm in a tiny minority that don't!

What is the motivation behind it? From a third person perspective it just seems like vanity, really, as most of them aren't getting any fitter, or healthier, just bigger.

I must be the opposite as I know no-one that goes there. Closest is a mate that works at a leisure centre.
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2015, 11:45 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Am I alone in finding it peculiar how many guys work out at the gym these days? I swear my brother was in a tiny minority when he started going to the gym at the age of 18 (he's now about 27), whereas now I'm in a tiny minority that don't!

You're right, there is a new generation of gym-goers who are only trying to bulk up as much as possible. We'll have to see what the future holds in terms of long-term health issues though. 
Thanks given by:

Theres many reasons IMO. Some love swimming. If your gym has a pool, ideal. Some don't do a physically demanding job like my self so need to do something to keep fit. Some even do it for social reasons (although that i don't really understand!!)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
The latter being the most annoying reason. a group of them just standing around hogging the machines for an age while chatting for 10mins between sets. Idiots lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 years today procta 50 7,046 13-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Last Post: procta
  New years eve cully 9 2,522 28-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Last Post: cully
  T's been five years... samass 49 11,241 13-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Pete