306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: New Years resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Im pretty sure 95% of the population say they are going to get fit for their new years resolution right? lol
Basically, I've been doing less and less exercise and eating more and more shit due to work over the past few years and I've started putting a bit of weight on because of it. Also getting stupidly unfit at the moment so i need to do something about it!

Ive decided I'm going to go and sign up to my local gym with the intention of loosing some fat and then building some muscle (although I'm not thinking about that now...that can wait till I'm fitter lol). I was going to concentrate on cardio for now but i was wondering if anyone of you gym/health nuts could recommend any supplements which may help out? Also looking for something easy to do for lunches as I'm always on the move and basically live off of petrol station sandwiches because they are quick and easy (bit like some of the members on here :p ). I know some people have things like protein shakes for lunch and class that as a meal but if I'm honest, i don't have a clue about that sort of thing!
Any advice is much appreciated Smile
I had several and one was to consider fitness.... I have considered it.

I am in the same boat as Niall. Since starting my job sitting at a desk all day Ive put on about 4kg and I just get hot and tired very quickly. if people have any advice that would be great.
If you can find a healthy convenience food I'd be interested to know what! Most of my food is shit purely based on convenience and I'm really trying to change that. Im not fussed about putting muscle on, or losing weight, but I am bothered about the amount of saturated fat I get through....in one meal I had 110% of my GDA of saturated fat...that cant be good! Confused
Bicycle.

I realised a few years ago I wasn't as fit as I wanted to be despite looking the part. I bought a bike and just explored the local area. Decent bike will cost you a few months membership (although I believe Niall already has a fancy one) and you're not stuck in a building with a load of fat people/steroid freaks.
Diet is the most important thing when it comes to health (which is far more important than weight). Scrap those sarnies and make your own, for starters, shop bought ones are very high in salt and fat, typically. Eat whole grains, white meat, cut back on any processed meat, especially pork. Eat AT LEAST 5 a day, ideally 5 veg and 2 fruit. Don't rely on fruit to get to your 5-a-day, it's high in fructose which isn't very good for you. I could go on and on about nutrition, know f*ck all about going to the gym though, I just do gymnastics once a week and walk places and stuff.
(13-01-2015, 10:08 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: [ -> ]Diet is the most important thing when it comes to health (which is far more important than weight). Scrap those sarnies and make your own, for starters, shop bought ones are very high in salt and fat, typically. Eat whole grains, white meat, cut back on any processed meat, especially pork. Eat AT LEAST 5 a day, ideally 5 veg and 2 fruit. Don't rely on fruit to get to your 5-a-day, it's high in fructose which isn't very good for you. I could go on and on about nutrition, know f*ck all about going to the gym though, I just do gymnastics once a week and walk places and stuff.

I know Sad Its just difficult for me. I generally don't have breakfast and my dinners are normally healthy. Its just lunch thats the issue. I love most fruits so would happily eat 5 a day but issue is it all ends up horrible in the car after a few hours. Same with home made sandwiches. I normally don't eat until 2pm if at all at lunch so by that time, the sandwiches have ended up bloody horrible and going in the bin. Hence why i buy petrol station ones. I know they are full of shit but at least they taste alright haha.
Other issue is getting the time to eat. Eating whilst driving isn't great especially around London and i just don't get the time to stop for half hour. Id be much happier snacking throughout the day on healthy bits tbh
I have breakfast half the time - fruit and fibre if it is with a glass of OJ... not bad imo.
Then for lunch I normally grab a meal deal - BLT and a packet of walkers.
Dinner is usually something mum has cooked up which isnt bad...

I think my problem is I can easily polish off a whole carton of apple or whatever juice drink in a day... and thats over 100% of the allowed sugars...
You NEED breakfast.

It gets your metabolism going which helps you burn fat.

And don't eat a HUGE meal at night...coz all your body does is store it while you sleep!

Eat healthy and even without excercise you will feel fitter and lose weight .

And yeah, make your own lunch, you lazy get. Save some money there too.
(13-01-2015, 10:27 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]I think my problem is I can easily polish off a whole carton of apple or whatever juice drink in a day... and thats over 100% of the allowed sugars...

How do you drink a whole carton of apple juice without getting the shits? lol
(14-01-2015, 09:11 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-01-2015, 10:27 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]I think my problem is I can easily polish off a whole carton of apple or whatever juice drink in a day... and thats over 100% of the allowed sugars...

How do you drink a whole carton of apple juice without getting the shits? lol

I can easily do this!
Apple juice has a proper bad laxative effect! Confused Remember a guy at school drinking a whole carton for a dare. lol
January gym wanker

As piggy says you need breakfast.

Try and eat 4-5 much smaller meals each day and drink a fucktonne of water. If you drink a pint of water before you eat you wont eat as much.
You'll also dilute the stomach acid making it harder to digest things...

I was told not to drink for about an hour around meals.
(13-01-2015, 09:57 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]I had several and one was to consider fitness.... I have considered it.

I am in the same boat as Niall. Since starting my job sitting at a desk all day Ive put on about 4kg and I just get hot and tired very quickly. if people have any advice that would be great.

Get jamma to hook you up with some herbalife lol
(14-01-2015, 11:00 AM)7057sam Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-01-2015, 09:57 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]I had several and one was to consider fitness.... I have considered it.

Get jamma to hook you up with some herbalife lol

No. He needs to shut up plugging it to all of his friends... cant believe he put herbalife advertising all over his 6...
(14-01-2015, 10:34 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]You'll also dilute the stomach acid making it harder to digest things...

I was told not to drink for about an hour around meals.

What a load of rubbish!! 

Anyway, gave a glass of water with your meal, not coke or fizzy etc
Also eat a bit slower, you'll find you feel full longer.
Do you know better than the dietician then Piggy? lol
For sandwiches, could you not use a cool bag to keep them chilled for the few hours until you eat them?
Havent you got a cooled glovebox in the Kia like the Focus does? Itwasntme
Yeah but it's filled with stuff lol
Well put that stuff in a box in the boot and put your sandwhiches in there lol
i started to go to the gym, mainly to lose weight and improve my cardio while the weather is shit and cold,

if you can manage, i've found running has really improved my fitness, couple of 10-12 minute miles in the morning 3 days a week (basically a jog) before breakfast, sometimes adding a 4 mile afternoon run or something like that when the tide is out, and i've lost nearly a stone in a couple of months that's staying off, i hope to be down around 14 stone in april as i don't want to be lugging excess weight around a half marathon

as far as meals go, i eat my largest meal at breakfast (most often at work so bacon roll / sausage muffin, hashbrown and tea), never really hungry after work, so i generally have my afternoon meal at about 4ish which could be a bit of poached salmon on a salad, or if mum has cooked i'll have a small portion of cottage pie or beef stew etc, then that'd be it, barring a snack of fruit or occasionally choc in the evening,
(todays was ham sarnie after work and chicken noodles with sliced chicken and sweet chilli sauce for dinner, no run or gym today)

ps i'm training slowly for a marathon before i'm 30, so this year i'm getting ready for 2 half-marathons, and i only started running in october, that's my motivation
To lose weight:

Calories in < calories out

Thats all there is. Healthy/junk food is irrelevant.

Also, you don't NEED to eat breakfast or lots of small portions of food throughout the day. Look into intermittant fasting, lot of serious fitness folk use this method.

I went from 15stone to 11stone 10lb from August to December a couple of years back.
My diet? Pizza hut pizza/ice cream/choc daily. I was weighing/tracking everything that went into my mouth, drink and food.

Work out your base metabolic rate and eat ~500 less and you should lose weight.

Apps like My Fitness Pal really help with tracking calories.

Main thing is to enjoy it, eat the foods you enjoy eating but just stay within your daily calorie goal. It is also worth tracking your macros; protein/carbs/fat
Junk food IS relevant!!

You won't get fit no matter how much you run if you just live off high salt and high sat' fats!!
Is there a fast way to lose weight? I need some advice as well..
Sorry but iceman is correct. I lost 5 stone in 8 months 10 years ago and was eating McDonald's all the time... Just not anything besides.

(14-01-2015, 10:19 PM)Josh1994 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a fast way to lose weight? I need some advice as well..

Stop eating and excerise. No magic pill bud sorry
Is them protein milkshakes any good? As I work in security and sitting in a car for over 10 hours you get bored easily, like some people said about snacking on fruits, and you can't exercise that much apart from training with the dog..
(14-01-2015, 10:43 PM)Orta Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry but iceman is correct. I lost 5 stone in 8 months 10 years ago and was eating McDonald's all the time... Just not anything besides.

(14-01-2015, 10:19 PM)Josh1994 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a fast way to lose weight? I need some advice as well..

Stop eating and excerise. No magic pill bud sorry

In theory i can imagine you guys are right. If your taking in 2000 calories a day but doing 2500 calories worth of work for arguments sake then in theory you would loose weight. The issue is all the other unhealthy chemicals and stuff in things like Mcdonalds lol

Fair bit of good info in here guys. Thanks Smile
Piggy, i can't really eat breakfast. Im just not hungry when i wake up and even in the past when I've tried having breakfast at home before work, i just end up actually making my self feel ill. If i could have breakfast at about 10 then that would be fine but I'm normally busy working by then....or sitting in traffic Sad
The issue with taking sandwiches in with me is like i say, they just go horrible. Most of the time i don't eat until about 2pm so they would of been sitting in a car all day sweating. And no one likes sweaty sarnies lol. Also, i just don't get the time to stop so like i say, id rather something i can just eat on the go. Things like energy bars or a shake would be ideal but its a case of finding something that will work ok with me. Theres no point in me having a protein shake for example if I'm not going to be doing enough exercise that day to take it into account otherwise it will just do me more damage than good!
(14-01-2015, 10:48 PM)Josh1994 Wrote: [ -> ]Is them protein milkshakes any good? As I work in security and sitting in a car for over 10 hours you get bored easily, like some people said about snacking on fruits, and you can't exercise that much apart from training with the dog..
Waste of money. Skimmed milk powder has protein. But you only need protein in that form if you're not getting enough through your diet for the work out you're doing.

You'd be better off with fruit and veg. Can buy packets of salad cheap. Eat out of Tupperware. Chuck in some cooked chicken if you need from supermarket. My ex was CID so spent at lot of time in cars, but ate well. Requires effort. But doable.
Remember to drink too.
(14-01-2015, 09:52 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]Junk food IS relevant!!

You won't get fit no matter how much you run if you just live off high salt and high sat' fats!!

No offence, but you clearly have no clue about weight loss.

Yes, junk food isn't good for you and you shouldn't really eat it in excessive amounts but weight loss is down to calories not healthy/junk food.

To reduce muscle loss you need to keep an eye on macros, so have a decent amount of protein (1g per lb of lean mass is recommended) and have enough fats in your diet (about 0.5g per lb lean mass)

As i said, i lost over 3 stones in under 5months without stepping foot in a gym or eating healthy.

Cardio is good if you have a big appetite as it means you can eat more.

Put it this way, your body needs 2000 cals to tickover and not gain or lose weight (base metabolic rate)

So eat 1500 cals so you're 500 cals under what your body needs. Now you can just eat 1500 cals or do cardio and burn 500 cals, then eat 2000 cals and still be 500 under Your BMR

EAT LESS CALORIES THAN YOUR BODY NEEDS AND YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT, it is that simple!

EDIT: protein shakes are a waste of money, especially when dieting. Protein is protein, would you rather have a glass of protein milk or have a chicken breast which is the same amount of calories but has more protein, keeps you fuller and isn't full of crap to bulk up the powder volume.
Pages: 1 2