Tools For The Christmas List

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tools For The Christmas List
What would you guys recommend to get?

I already have the basics like the halfords stuff, ratchet spanners, deep 1/2" sockets, blah blah

So far on the list I have Mulgrips (So I stop using my dad's all the time), Irwin Bolt Extractors, Oil filter pliers and the magnetic pickup tool Toseland had at the meet.

EDIT: Also nearly have the workbench finished in the shed so looking for things that could be useful there. Already have a vice and g-clamps.
Thanks given by:
mulgrips? I think you mean mole grips?

Look for the magnetic pick up tools on ebay. theyre only a few quid.

torque wrench would be a useful one to have?
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2014, 02:10 PM)SRowell Wrote: mulgrips? I think you mean mole grips?

Look for the magnetic pick up tools on ebay. theyre only a few quid.

torque wrench would be a useful one to have?

Or those.

I did look on there first but Halfords is cheaper for that exact one. I want the one with the light.

Torque wrench is a maybe, need to see what one I'd need, e.g. range of torque
Thanks given by:
You got a bfo lump hammer? Grinder? I'd recommend both lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Big selection of hammers including a f*ck off sledge hammer.

Bernzomatic Blow torch (running MAPP gas)

Angle grinder. Getting the diamond blade on my 9" replaced by my best mate for Christmas but if you get a grinder get a diamond blade. Mine hasn't been changed in 2 or 3 years and in that time has cut up 4 cars and everything else including tyres, stonework and anything else it gets pointed at and it still cuts well.

Decent tool box to keep your tools in?
Thanks given by:
meter long 1/2 breaker bar excelent for shiftin drive shaft nuts 35mm socket or crank pulley bolts Wink
Thanks given by:
Nice set of pliers and snips, nothing can beat a NICE set of snips IMHO with flat backs so cable ties are cut flush so you don't cut yourself of them 24/7 and so you're not there squeezing as hard as you can, should just go like hot knife through butter. Knipex FTW!

Also, if you do any electrical stuff, good quality set of crimpers and crimps, not the shit you buy off the shelf at Halfords or most electrical places! Nothing annoys me more than dodgy electrical connections due to poor quality crimps!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2014, 06:10 PM)Ruan Wrote: Nice set of pliers and snips, nothing can beat a NICE set of snips IMHO with flat backs so cable ties are cut flush so you don't cut yourself of them 24/7 and so you're not there squeezing as hard as you can, should just go like hot knife through butter. Knipex FTW!

Also, if you do any electrical stuff, good quality set of crimpers and crimps, not the shit you buy off the shelf at Halfords or most electrical places! Nothing annoys me more than dodgy electrical connections due to poor quality crimps!

This. Knipex will destroy most stuff you cut lol.
good tool to have is some proper ratchet crimping pliers. You would be surprised just how much better they are than normal ones.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Just if you get them on your fingers, don't panic and keep on going until they release.

Seen it done, not f*cking pretty!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2014, 06:23 PM)Ruan Wrote: Just if you get them on your fingers, don't panic and keep on going until they release.

Seen it done, not f*cking pretty!

f*ck that. Although i work with several idiots who would probably do that rather than just release them lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
How would you accidentally crimp your finger!? Confused

Multimeter might be useful if you don't already have one. Decent low entry jack.
Thanks given by:
Can never have too big a jack/ axle stands.
Thanks given by:
2nd on a good pair of snips (mine are rubbish so I should know)

big hammer (obvs)

blowtorch gun - pretty much what dum dum recommended, they're great bits of kit for getting things undone.

breaker bar very useful

magnetic pickup tool is essential

electric impact wrench is useful for getting things apart quickly, although unless you spend mega bucks you'll be needing a breaker bar still to release tight bits

torx screwdriver set is useful for interior trim, dash ..etc

torx bits and hex bits for 3/8 ratchet are useful if you don't already have

decent set of screwdrivers also

ratchet spanners are awesome

list is endless really, but hopefully some food for thought
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2014, 09:41 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: blowtorch gun - pretty much what dum dum recommended, they're great bits of kit for getting things undone.

Yes, I've got a bernzomatic TS7000 and its boss, had it for about 7 years and had no issues with it other than the piezo ignition went within about 18 months and the gas knob fell off pretty quickly. I light it with a lighter or matches now and actually don't turn the gas off as the knob is a back up to the button but if I do want to adjust it its fine with pliers or mole grips.

Not bad for something that I thoroughly abuse, it rolls about in the boot of the car, gets flung across the floor and dropped. MAPP gas (the yellow cans) is the way forward, it burns 2-300 degrees hotter than butane and although runs out quicker I use less than a can a year and its less than a tenner a tin.

It really REALLY works, get whatever nut thats stuck proper glowing red hot, hit it with the impact gun and chances are it'll come off.

[Image: 271d396.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The rolson magnetic pickup tool with L.E.D light is available at B&M stores for £1.99 as i got one !
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys. Will just have to wait and see what I get now Smile
Thanks given by:
seriously no-one here recommends a ball joint splitter?

Amateurs
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2014, 02:09 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: seriously no-one here recommends a ball joint splitter?

Amateurs

Never needed one. Hammer and crow bar work fine.
Thanks given by:
So much easier with one!
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
ball joint splitter fecks up the rubber boots i binned mine as Chris says long bar and a hammer never failed for me yet
Thanks given by:
I don't mean a pikey style wedge drive in splitter I mean a proper bolt lever type you insert and then wind the bolt in to pry it apart!
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
I have a balljoint splitter, used it once, didn't like it, went back to hammer and fat chisel, then crowbar to lever the last bit.
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2014, 05:35 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: I don't mean a pikey style wedge drive in splitter I mean a proper bolt lever type you insert and then wind the bolt in to pry it apart!
Love the pikey wedge. Great tool for hen all else fails. Smile
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
What's Chirstmas? Is it like Christmas? Tongue
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Bottle of Plus Gas.
Decent head torch.
Pack of JB Weld.
Set of ratcheting spanners.
If you have been really good, a mig welder Smile
Thanks given by:
Get down to Halfords, their stuff is on sale at the moment.

(11-12-2014, 10:28 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Yes, I've got a bernzomatic TS7000 and its boss, had it for about 7 years and had no issues with it other than the piezo ignition went within about 18 months and the gas knob fell off pretty quickly. I light it with a lighter or matches now and actually don't turn the gas off as the knob is a back up to the button but if I do want to adjust it its fine with pliers or mole grips.

Not bad for something that I thoroughly abuse, it rolls about in the boot of the car, gets flung across the floor and dropped. MAPP gas (the yellow cans) is the way forward, it burns 2-300 degrees hotter than butane and although runs out quicker I use less than a can a year and its less than a tenner a tin.

It really REALLY works, get whatever nut thats stuck proper glowing red hot, hit it with the impact gun and chances are it'll come off.

[Image: 271d396.jpg]

Your game is weak.

[Image: torch_zps05b128a6.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mate I'd love a set with oxygen and gas but it doesn't come cheap and oxygen refill costs are about 3 times that of MAPP. Just the little bernzo set up is £150 with a can of oxygen and a can of MAPP
Thanks given by:
Slightly ot, but on the subject of balljoints - smack a wedge in to spread the pinch, then stick a scaffold pole under it, tie it to the arm near the bj with a short length of big chain and lever downwards. Assist with lump hammer and conviction if required. Big Grin

A pair of tin snips is something i always regret not having, then forget to buy. And some good vernier calipers. Not so important if you're not fabricating much i guess though. What will you be doing with the tools over the next couple of years? May seem a daft question, but if you're going much beyond general maintenance and repairs there's some fairly random unexpected stuff that's invaluable.

Some suggestions anyway; basic essentials not listed so far:

Pump grips (can do oil filters with these nicely)
Pipe grips
Lever bars
Hacksaw

...and for the bench:

Lamp and adjustable stand
Selection of files
Impact driver
Picks
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(13-12-2014, 10:34 PM)Poodle Wrote: Slightly ot, but on the subject of balljoints - smack a wedge in to spread the pinch, then stick a scaffold pole under it, tie it to the arm near the bj with a short length of big chain and level downwards. Assist with lump hammer and conviction if required. Big Grin

A pair of tin snips is something i always regret not having, then forget to buy. And some good vernier calipers. Not so important if you're not fabricating much i guess though. What will you be doing with the tools over the next couple of years? May seem a daft question, but if you're going much beyond general maintenance and repairs there's some fairly random unexpected stuff that's invaluable.

Some suggestions anyway; basic essentials not listed so far:

Pump grips (can do oil filters with these nicely)
Pipe grips
Lever bars
Hacksaw

...and for the bench:

Lamp and adjustable stand
Selection of files
Impact driver
Picks

Pretty much have all of that except pump grips and the lamp. Seems I have more than I realise. Been buying stuff as and when a job needs it. Impact driver for example I bought to get one screw out on my old moped, however as always has come in useful since. Most of my stuff is bought with a view to using it on vehicles but a lot came in useful when we built the shed/workshop.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned a Dremel yet, as that's been very useful, especially now I have an actual Dremel and not the cheap Halfords thing.

I'm also always very careful with what I get in terms of quality as I'd hate for something to break while doing a job. Majority of the tools at my old work required some sort of knack to get to work properly, glad to be out of there.
Thanks given by:
Have you a set of prybars?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  brake line making tools zx_volcane 3 1,597 07-10-2016, 08:12 AM
Last Post: zx_volcane
  same tools, different manufacturer bashbarnard 27 7,892 01-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Last Post: P-Courty
  What's on your Christmas list? Redordead89 31 5,348 03-11-2015, 06:03 PM
Last Post: RoloGTI