top mount td04 not boosting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
top mount td04 not boosting
Hello I'm new to the site, had a few 306 diesels now and used this forum for info countless times

But Now the time has come to join ask for help,
I have a ph1 with Bosch fuel pump and after turning the boost up too high on the stock kkk snail, the turbine shat itself. So I went out and bought a Td04 off an l200, fabricated base plates and welded up an exhaust to top mount the new booster, I also fitted a xantia inlet and front mount intercooler, had a braded oil feed line made and bodged the return with old air con hose, the car starts runs and drives fine but it doesn't boost at all, I can hear the turb spool up and can see it working.

The highest iv seen it boost is to 5psi flat out in 3rd..

I'm properly baffled can anyone help ? Also if I'm on the wrong thread I do apologise. Thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a massive boost leak, is it belching out the black stuff?

Welcome along BTW!
Thanks given by:
What did you do with the wastegate?
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Yeah pouring out but the pump is max, wastegate has been held open and shut but no joy
Thanks given by:
Had boosting problems on mine which turned out to be a shagged actuator. Car wouldn't peak above 5 psi, so i just removed the actuator and welded it up. Not had a problem since.

Check all your boost hoses, make sure your connections are tight.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
^^^ That.^^^
Get the wastegate closed off to eliminate it as a possible leak, then, if that is no better you almost certainly have a split or hole in a boost hose or pipe.
If it is better, get a better actuator or leave it closed, up to you.
Could be shagged turbo but if you can feel a TD04 spin by hand then it'll be 'reet generally.
Also look at how it is mounted to the manifold as any leaks there will kill any boost occurring.
Thanks given by:
Got it boosting up now, iv welded the actuator shut, 're fitted all the boost pipes and made sure all is tight, it's not boosting very strong ((still feels faster than stock ) but there is a tiny blow in one of the exhaust welds and no gasket fitted from the exhaust to the turbo so I'm putting it down to that. Going to sort it out through the week Smile

Anyone know the laws regarding a 3" exhaust stack sticking 1/4" out the passanger side of the bonnet too ?

Thanks for input guya it's appreciated
Thanks given by:
You need the manifold to turbo pipe to be nice and air tight. Need those EMPs to spool her up!

Be curious about the lag mind...bad enough bolted to the manifold...let alone gearbox mounted Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Moved to the correct section, glad to hear you've solved your initial problem, though i can't see 5-0 being too chuffed about your exhaust idea. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2014, 11:09 AM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Moved to the correct section, glad to hear you've solved your initial problem, though i can't see 5-0 being too chuffed about your exhaust idea. Wink

Thanks Smile all that's left to do now is cut a hole in the bonnet, route the wires for the battery to the boot and fit this
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...36&alt=web
Quote:
Thanks given by:
Err...yeah, good luck with that! Pretty sure thats gonna get you pulled in no time at all, and let's not even debate whether it'll pass an mot or not. lol
Thanks given by:
What's stopping someone filling it with fluid and it backing up to your cylinders?
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2014, 06:52 PM)daniel.mountain.7 Wrote: What's stopping someone filling it with fluid and it backing up to your cylinders?

How about just when it rains?
Thanks given by:
He's on about putting a flapper on it if you check the above link
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2014, 06:52 PM)daniel.mountain.7 Wrote: What's stopping someone filling it with fluid and it backing up to your cylinders?

Nothing Sad might make a padlock for my flap and call it the chastity lock ?
Thanks given by:
Expanding foam work well too. Especially when it gets all in the turbo haha. My little trick if someone p*sses me off!!
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2014, 10:27 PM)daniel.mountain.7 Wrote: Expanding foam work well too. Especially when it gets all in the turbo haha. My little trick if someone p*sses me off!!

Ooo, thats evil......i like it! lmao
Thanks given by:
I've done it once. The guy had rac aa out and every local mechanic trying to work out why it wouldn't start. A month later he was lying on the floor picking it out with a wire coat hanger!! The spud I shoved up stopped it leaking back out to give it away ;-)
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2014, 10:32 PM)daniel.mountain.7 Wrote: I've done it once. The guy had rac aa out and every local mechanic trying to work out why it wouldn't start. A month later he was lying on the floor picking it out with a wire coat hanger!! The spud I shoved up stopped it leaking back out to give it away ;-)

Iv done it to a lad with a classic mini, strapped a banger to a big can of expanding foam and rolled it under the car Smile he did punch a 82 year old man for touching his rear bumper tho, karma ? Haha
Thanks given by:
Lol that bonnet stack is 100% illegal in the UK, and you will be lucky to avoid getting pulled with that!

Annoying though as if it was legal, Id have one to Tongue
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:

(02-12-2014, 10:29 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Lol that bonnet stack is 100% illegal in the UK, and you will be lucky to avoid getting pulled with that!

Annoying though as if it was legal, Id have one to Tongue

Awh, I read somewhere that it was if it doesn't sick out ?
Ie it won't cause added harm to pedestrians when you mow them down ?

But yeah the plan is to go into smoke management mode when police are around Wink it's worth a fine tho it looks boss
Thanks given by:
Its in front of openable passenger windows, you can have exhaust in front of any openable windows.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2014, 10:43 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Its in front of openable passenger windows, you can have exhaust in front of any openable windows.

Hmm, Good point ! What's the rules on running it out of the wing ? Only going through the bonnet as it was the easiest way. And your dturbo tune video on YouTube was the first thing that got me into dturbos haha
Thanks given by:
By Law dont you need 1 Box anyway? so even if you got away with it out the side, if they checked how many boxes, thats what would get you?
Thanks given by:
Would be no good unless above the roof if it was to come out of the bonnet. As the soot (coal) would majorly tint your windscreen
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lucas K14 Boosting 2 Bar daveylennon93 9 3,086 01-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Last Post: daveylennon93
  Top mount in a 306 with a td04 and 11mm pump will it cope with cooling? Paul_13 8 2,019 29-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Last Post: toseland
  XUD *over boosting* ? ADV_93 6 2,543 01-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Ruan