Urgent - Rusty, Rounded Nut Removal??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urgent - Rusty, Rounded Nut Removal??
So I've managed to get past all the 'modern' parts to the DPF...and stopped by a rusty nut! How the f*ck a nut goes rusty when its above an undertray and sitting on a 400c exhaust I have no idea. But Conor was right, the DPF>mid pipe nuts are rusty, and now one has rounded. Confused

Anyway, what are the options to remove it? Cant remove the whole exhaust as the midpipe goes over the steering rack/subrame. Can't drive anywhere for obvious reasons. Wtf do I do now? Someone help lol... Sad

Tom
Thanks given by:
Smash a smaller socket on?

Grind the head off...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
its rusty because of the heat
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
yeh the heat makes it rusty tom... why do you think an exhaust is ruined pretty must instantly?

also.... this is what happens if you dont use your nuts often...
Thanks given by:
(26-11-2014, 12:40 PM)Ruan Wrote: Smash a smaller socket on?

Grind the head off...

No space for a grinder.

Looks like a smaller socket is the only option but I've never had any luck with that before.

(26-11-2014, 12:47 PM)welshpug Wrote: its rusty because of the heat

Useful. Why don't they make the bolts out of something non-rusty if that's the case. Confused

The temp sensor and lower pressure pipe nut aren't rusty at all!

(26-11-2014, 12:54 PM)SRowell Wrote: yeh the heat makes it rusty tom... why do you think an exhaust is ruined pretty must instantly?

also.... this is what happens if you dont use your nuts often...

Theres loads of water in exhaust and they sit under the car getting covered in mud and salt, I just assumed that's what caused the rust!
Thanks given by:
enough room to get the molegrips in there?
Thanks given by:
That's why exhaust manifolds look like piles of rust unless they're stainless - but further down isn't so bad!

Yeah, or a GOOD pair of mole grips.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Smaller socket, or a rounded nut removal tool. Heating the nut will help massively and may allow you to remove it with molegrips if you get it glowing. Alternatively, chuck it back together and get a garage to change it for you
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Get a pic then we may be able to give better suggestions depending on the space and movement available.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
No space, no movement. lol Phone battery died taking pics and using as torch so that charging atm.

Mole grips don't fit, even the smallest pair I have.

Bit too far in to put it back together now Jonny, rad fan, boost pipes, airbox, heatshield, pipes/sensors all removed. Don't have any rounded nut tools, everytime something like happens I mean to get a set! Doh
Thanks given by:
I was recommended to get a tap and die set. Have yet to use.

Could check out YouTube videos to see if it would work for you.
Thanks given by:
[Image: IMAG4208_zpse216adcb.jpg]

[Image: IMAG4224_zpse14c1947.jpg]

And the current state of things lol...

[Image: IMAG4223_zpsb36925a8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nut splitter?

Or get it absolutely red hot and smash a smaller socket on quickly.

Or is it the front pipe you are replacing? Cut the pipe under the engine and remove it in 2 or 3 pieces.
Thanks given by:
Don't have a nut splitter. Don't have a blowtorch. Don't have anyway to cut the pipe lol. I really don't have destructive tools! Confused
Thanks given by:
(26-11-2014, 01:59 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't have a nut splitter. Don't have a blowtorch. Don't have anyway to cut the pipe lol. I really don't have destructive tools! Confused
And this is why you'll never be a true 306 owner LOL
Thanks given by:
Buy some decent sockets or put some on the christmas list, am yet to round anything with my 6-sided flank drive sets, despite some questionable application.

As to getting it off, heat and a smaller socket, as has already been suggested a few times. Failing that, you may be able to chisel it round or get a rotary tool with a grinding head in there. That's it short of putting it back together and taking it to a garage.

Tbh it sounds like you're not properly equipped dude, get some real tools.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Its my fault, not the sockets tbh. I thought the impact gun might break the corrosion...instead it just rounded off. Doh

It wouldn't move at all beforehand, even with my 2ft breaker bar. Confused
Thanks given by:
Round off sockets man.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(26-11-2014, 02:03 PM)Poodle Wrote: Tbh it sounds like you're not properly equipped dude, get some real tools.

I have all the right tools for when stuff works... I just don't have dangerous power tools or anything for rust. Sad

Looking at getting a set of bolt extractors next day delivered - just want to check 5/8ths is 16mm yeah?

(26-11-2014, 02:00 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(26-11-2014, 01:59 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't have a nut splitter. Don't have a blowtorch. Don't have anyway to cut the pipe lol. I really don't have destructive tools! Confused
And this is why you'll never be a true 306 owner LOL

I'll take sensors and computer diags over rusty bolts any day!
Thanks given by:
Did you use double or single hex sockets on it, you always want to use single hx on rusty stuff to give you the best chance. But anyway a good sharp chisel and split if down one side or sometimes with the shock of a chisel and hammer you can get them to come loose.
Thanks given by:
Used 6pt sockets, Halfords Advanced as well so not cheap shite. I could try a chisel, hadn't thought of that!
Thanks given by:
(26-11-2014, 02:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I'll take sensors and computer diags over rusty bolts any day!

And this is why you will never make a good mechanic!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Well at least you used them, I usually take them of with a chisel, might take a bit of time sometimes but it works, also the bolt isnt welded at the back is it? It should just be pressed in, so if you damage the bolt when you get the nut off you can just hammer the bolt out and put a new one in.
Thanks given by:
Some good advice already in here! Blow torch, smashing sockets over it, trying to crack it with impact, mole grips etc.

You could try drilling it also!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Trade it in and buy a 306 Big Grin wanna buy a 1.8 with a stuck oil filter? lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Well don't I feel daft. Left them soaking in QX40 while psnicking and eating pizza and they've both just come straight off. Oops haha... Onto the next crisis then!
Thanks given by:
Ford = rust as standard.

peugeot exhaust manifold nuts are copper coated in my experience.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(26-11-2014, 04:02 PM)welshpug Wrote: Ford = rust as standard.

peugeot exhaust manifold nuts are copper coated in my experience.

Most nuts on exhaust systems are just steel, worse ive seen are honda and vauxhall I chiseled of a shell of a nut was rotted away like a helicoil.
Thanks given by:
Give Peugeot their due though, I've never had issues - sometimes the spring clamp ones are bastards, but usually solve that with a crowbar shoved down the back and a hammer Big Grin

They should bloody be replaced every time anyway far as I'm concerned, they cost less than a fiver for a new set!
Thanks given by:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-bolt-gri...ApXg8P8HAQ

cant rate these things highly enough..

they do 2 sizes..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Erm.. My doors a bit rusty Midnightclub 21 2,938 24-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Midnightclub