new car help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new car help
morning all!! going to look at a few new cars today, she wants a freelander, we are looking at 2004/5 td4's is there any thing i should look out for in particular, heard the td4's use a bmw vnt'd unit with camchain instead of a belt. From reading the net the td4 seems to be the one to go for but any advice would be greatly appreiciated

many thanks

jonny b Big Grin
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Absolute shite car, seriously don't get one
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ha ha cheers connor what do you base that on though? old mans had one well 4 in fact over the last 5 years and never had a problem, they dont use the k series engine which was a big fail but wont be going for that anyways
Thanks given by:
Just generally shit lol thought the TD4 lump was a rover lump of turd? May have just been the earlier ones though
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
mate had one, as connor says shit. watch out fot the turbo.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dad had one for 3 years with the TD4 engine, no problems at all. My only complaint is the poor quality interior plastics in the early freelanders.

Also, its worth jacking up the rear axle if you are genuinely interested in buying one and checking that the rear diff/4wd is workig properly as thats a common fault. Alot of people have the rear diff go and just remove the propshaft, making it 2wd! Not really a problem if it will only be used for lugging kids around, infact you'l get slightly better MPG, but it will kill re-sale value if people notice it and new rear diff will cost you a fair bit!

Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeh I had heard that the diffs whine when on there way, will be from a dealer so warranty will be there, cheers dan

Kingy I have not found owt about the turbos on a td4 engine
Thanks given by:
Parents had one for a while. It spent a LOT of time and money at land rover it always seemed to be going wrong
As above it had a few diff problems and headgasket issues. Also remember the crank sensor playing up

My mates parents have just got one and guess what... diff problems haha land rover themselves didn't even diagnose it right even though my mates dad who is a mechanic told them what it was. He ended up doing it himself
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
We have a S reg freelander. Nothing but problems. Look for wear on the rear tyres as they get through them rediculously fast. Erm... the air con broke, the drive shaft came out whilst doing 50, oil leaks, turbo braking. Seriously not worth it!

Id look for a ford Kuga instead. Interior is much nicer and its a similar car but just better. Inside of basic freelanders are so cheap and its just ergonomically stupid!
Thanks given by:
Jonny, my only advise is rovers or if you wanna call them landrovers can either be shockingly bad or shockingly good...depends how the guys up north felt when they built it lol

both TD4's ......
A friends dad had one and it was a one owner, chelsea tractor used, main dealer loved and it was always back there for something but then again another friends parents had one and they bashed it to shite on the farm, they never loved it but it loved the abuse.

i had a few rovers, the hatch backs i had were shite quality, coupé slightly better and my cabriolet was bomb-proof after i replaced the engine lol

there's a pattern....beware or get a bomb proof warranty with it and you'll be ok but sell it when the warranty runs out or dig deep in your pocket lmao
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys won't be getting one as old as s reg, like I said it will be the later td4 with the bmw lump around 5 grand to spend so will be the facelift with much better interior, everywhere says that lump is the one to go for, she wants one so I will only have to drive it occasionally, tbh every car you google has horror stories lol. Everything else Is either to big or to small, and she hates the look of xtrails, crv's, terrano's and the like. Iam not the type to just buy the first one I see, drove 4 today 3 were really quite nice the other missed a 1 off the front end of mileage in the ad so turned around ha ha 168k so shows they can go on lol
Thanks given by:
just get a range rover jonny, get the daddy or go home lol

Thanks given by:
ha ha i would!! but its too big for her she would need a ladder to get in lol, she got behind the wheels of my mums r/r sport and wouldnt drive it ha ha
Thanks given by:
the above has painted a picture in head which i cannot help but laugh at...sorry jonny

Thanks given by:
No probs bud lol she's only little
Thanks given by:
Funnily enough I was picturing a midget trying to get in a monster truck....sorry

Thanks given by:
Ha ha ha not quite lol
Thanks given by:
Most of you won't like it but hey

[Image: 95fe3114-f49f-bf50.jpg]

1 owner fsh 60k td4 BMW engine
Thanks given by:
Erggh but if your mrs likes it Smile

Thanks given by:
40mm drop and clones? ninja
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Be honest, you only bought it so your misses can come and tow you home when the s16 breaks down!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Be honest, you only bought it so your misses can come and tow you home when the s16 breaks down!
You can tow f*ck all with a freelander lol
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:
Niall Wrote:Be honest, you only bought it so your misses can come and tow you home when the s16 breaks down!
You can tow f*ck all with a freelander lol

True. In all fairness though, most school run mums don't buy 4x4s because they can go off road. They buy the, so at the school gates they can say mines bigger than yours!

Awaits abuse from Jonny........
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yeh she loves it ha ha
Thanks given by:
Ha ha Iam above abuse lol
Thanks given by:
So you been off road in it yet jonny and I don't mean cutting corners lmao

Thanks given by:
Nah bud picking it up on Monday the stealer has to tax the mo fo first and fill up the tank, typically it was empty as my wallet now is ha ha
Thanks given by:
ha ha it will constantly empty now lol

Thanks given by: