Computer help needed - Bios

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer help needed - Bios
I have a laptop(Sony VPCF215FX/BI) that had a new mother board fitted but the bios dose not have the model number programmed into it so the standard drivers dont really work correctly, i have got a 2nd laptop that is almost identical (VPCF22C5E)

Is it possible to program the bios to what it should be or copy/change the chip over?
Thanks given by:
all of the stuff on that motherboard should be plug and play, and hence compatible with the motherboard.

some motherboards have a BIOS update facility, whereby you would put the file on a pen drive or the like and it would read it from there.

i would suggest trying to get hold of a more up to date driver to start with..

what exactly is the problem?
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I cant install the standard Utility's and software that should be on it, Vaio software updates don't work because they read the bios to see if its the correct model. it still works, iv been using it for months but it just annoying that its not how it should be. Iv been told that if i send it to sony repair centre they can do it but for the cost it just not worth it
Thanks given by:
Can you not get one of the oldschool type bios updates, where you download just the bios file and then run the update using the bios utility??

You might be able to get around the mobo number problem then if the update is installed by the bios itself.
Thanks given by:
Your best option is to get the BIOS BIN file for that computer and flash it - however be warned, it may not want to flash because it would appear to the update utility to be the wrong board and hence not flash.

You could figure a way to force flash it, however if anything is wrong, it WILL completely destroy the BIOS - i.e. it won't boot anymore, so you can't flash anymore - you can de-solder the chip and reprogram it, but as a general rule, it's more hassle than it's worth.

Why do you need it anyway!? Shouldn't be that much stuff that doesn't work, the Sony Vaio update utilities are just going to be piles of bloatware... There's nothing generally in Windows that doesn't work... Personally I'd leave it alone, uninstall all the Sony bloatware and just use it without all that crap... You should be able to get just the drivers for each device and use it like that.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I have never downloaded anything useful through the Sony Vaio update system. This is after owning 3 vaios!
Thanks given by:
Ditto.
My last Vaio had a fingerprint and SD card readers. I could not find a driver for them anywhere that worked, with even XP !
I've stuck ubuntu on it now and it's working flawlessly. Stunned.
Thanks given by:
Its nothing more than annoying, everything still works. but i found some of the original stuff on the last vaio i had handy, if it was easy to set the model number and get it working i would but im not paying stupid money for it
Thanks given by:
Can't help you with the BIOs, but a site like "Station-Drivers.com" has links to the individual chip maker drivers, so rather than get drivers from Sony, get them from the OEM that made the SDcard reader chip or scanner.

Issue is, you have to Know the exact chip in the pc, model number etc, you can usually find this in the ControlPanel/system/Devices area.
Good luck.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer gurus - crashing PC ginge191 8 1,873 24-02-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  Computer People - Is this a virus? Toms306 53 12,361 28-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  Computer/ELM327 Issues... Toms306 7 1,662 25-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Last Post: Toms306