Computer/ELM327 Issues...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer/ELM327 Issues...
Hi guys,

As title really, having trouble installing an ELM but not sure what I'm doing wrong!

I think I've installed the necessary drivers, they were even labelled as windows 8 so it should be ok.

The laptop says 'device working correctly' in device manager, and I'm sure the lead itself is ok as it flashes all lights then drops to one red one as it should.

But the diag software just says 'no elm found'. Tried changing com ports and baud rate but no difference.

Any idea what I've done wrong? In laymans terms please, software isn't my strong point. Tongue

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
What's the software you're trying to use with it? They're normally serial to usb converters, so there's normally 2 drivers to install.. double check by looking in device manager under 'universal serial bus controllers'. If it's installed properly you should have it listed as a com port
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Software is Forscan or ELMConfig

It is listed as a COM port under ports rather than universal serial bus in device manager. 'Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM1)'. I've tried COM 3, 1 and 5 without any difference so don't think the port selected is the problem.
Thanks given by:
Jesus, must be a cheap one if it's using a CP210x chipset, they NORMALLY use an FTDI USB-Serial chipset. The CP210x is so cheap it doesn't even have a serial so if you have two, you can't tell them apart and the drivers are wank, the FTDI is generally much more reliable.

The software may be poorly coded and IS looking for the device identifier of an FTDI chipset...

Has this cable ever worked before, have you ever had an ELM cable working before?!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I did have another cheap ELM before that I never got to work, but I am terrible with computers lol, so it's probably me at fault! This particular ELM has been modified to work specifically with the above software though. You're probably aware of the HSCAN mod on them.

The cable's are supposed to be tested before dispatch (and as said, the light sequence is correct at least), and they are highly recommended by some other forums for that marque of car...unfortunately the one I'm a member of charges a tenner just to access help/repair threads! Dodgy
Thanks given by:
Got it working. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2014, 12:05 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Got it working. Big Grin

what was the problem? Issue I had with the galleto was FTDI drivers.
Thanks given by:
I had downloaded both the older windows drivers and Win8 ones somehow and chose the wrong one...when I noticed there were 2 similar chose the other one and it works fine now. Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer gurus - crashing PC ginge191 8 1,879 24-02-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  Computer People - Is this a virus? Toms306 53 12,440 28-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  Computer Guru's - display issues ginge191 8 2,007 21-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Last Post: ginge191