Computer Guru's - display issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Guru's - display issues
So i built a new PC about 6 weeks ago and it's just developed a problem.

I'll be in the middle of playing a game, CoD for example, and all of a sudden all displays die; occurs on a variety of games.

Running Radeon r9 270x, i5, 4gb ddr3 etc - nothing fancy but a decent enough setup for what i'm using.

Temps are all find; no harsh heat being put out.

It gives me no heads up, audio sometimes freezes, not every time; both displays running tend to just go to disconnected screen.

Any ideas? any way to find out what actually kills it all; i can reset the PC via reset button and it reboots fine with no error screen, just the usual "wanna start safe mode" but apart from that, nothing
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
What CPU/Motherboard combo?

Sounds like possibly dodgy RAM to me - or a power related issue - what PSU are you running also?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2014, 06:27 PM)Ruan Wrote: What CPU/Motherboard combo?

Sounds like possibly dodgy RAM to me - or a power related issue - what PSU are you running also?

Corsair CXM 500w PSU
Corsair vengence 4bg RAM
i5 4460 CPU

Have I made a booboo?? Sad
Has been running fine for 6 weeks or so now Undecided
Thanks given by:
Sounds like memory to me, but could be power related -

http://www.memtest.org/download/5.01/mem...taller.zip

Try flashing that to a USB drive and let it run that for an hour or so... If it IS dodgy memory, I'd expect to see it fall over in the first 10 minutes...

Do you get any display "artefacts" - usually signified by little coloured dots in places on the image when playing games? This is indicative of a possibly faulty graphics card or power supply to the graphics card, it's actually the GPU having errors in it's output to the frame buffer when under load, happens a lot especially when overclocking lol...

I would say you're on the limit for that PSU - that GPU will happily pull 270W or so under load - then I'd say probably another 80W for CPU & Power Regulation, 40W for Mainboard and DIMMs, 20-30 or so watts here and there for the HDD and other bits and bobs... That's over 400W right there, it'll be a good quality PSU for sure, but you could be suffering from vdrop under load if it's a bad example.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Echoing what Ruan says, with your rough spec, I'd prefer to be running at least a 600-650W PSU tbh, but give the memory tester a run and see what results you get from that first. If that shows up fine, next port of call would be a better PSU IMO. Smile
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2014, 06:43 PM)Ruan Wrote: Sounds like memory to me, but could be power related -

http://www.memtest.org/download/5.01/mem...taller.zip

Try flashing that to a USB drive and let it run that for an hour or so... If it IS dodgy memory, I'd expect to see it fall over in the first 10 minutes...

Do you get any display "artefacts" - usually signified by little coloured dots in places on the image when playing games? This is indicative of a possibly faulty graphics card or power supply to the graphics card, it's actually the GPU having errors in it's output to the frame buffer when under load, happens a lot especially when overclocking lol...

I would say you're on the limit for that PSU - that GPU will happily pull 270W or so under load - then I'd say probably another 80W for CPU & Power Regulation, 40W for Mainboard and DIMMs, 20-30 or so watts here and there for the HDD and other bits and bobs... That's over 400W right there, it'll be a good quality PSU for sure, but you could be suffering from vdrop under load if it's a bad example.

i've had failing components before and has no tell tell signs of anything at all. No dodgy linear signs, spots, specks, nothing Undecided
Will give that a go; thanks, will report back soon

Thanks xxx
Thanks given by:
http://imgur.com/193UaBx

Running now... Currently at 54% no errors
Thanks given by:
http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64ex...7wyrhdzzip

If not, try that... That'll stress your GPGPU in OpenCL - you won't see any graphics - but that's normal.
Thanks given by:
Returned 0 errors

[Image: lTipLAY.png]

running AMD CCC as there's no results for GPU specifically; but i didn't lose display Undecided
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  any pc/laptop guru's here? Magenta Sunset 11 2,270 23-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Last Post: r3k1355
  Computer gurus - crashing PC ginge191 8 1,876 24-02-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  Computer People - Is this a virus? Toms306 53 12,371 28-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR