Cam belt change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam belt change
Hi,

My 306 Estate is going for an early MOT on or about the 18th of this month. I can think of no reason why it should fail, but if it does, and it's expensive, it will be "on it's bike".

However, if it passes, I think she deserves a new cam-belt. Odometer says something in the 150,000 region, and I have no idea when it was last changed. I doubt that she has had an oil or filter change in the best part of a good while (My Land Rover Series 1 Bitza managed 12 years of abuse with nothing more than a couple of pimts of supermarket "own brand" every month. I pulled the filter element after about 10 years)

Right! MOT will go to my local garage (just moved here, so trying to establish a rapport). If he gives me a pass, I will ask the cost of fitting a new cam belt. Google suggests between £250 and £350. Does that seem about right? Depending on his answer, and yours, is there anywhere in the Burton Latimer (Kettering, Northants) area, that I should consider for Plan B?

Plan C is to offer her here, in need of TLC. She is BLUE and FRENCH, but apart from that I can't really criticise her. I've been happy to drive her to Swansea and return the same day, once a week for the last couple of months ... 370 miles return. Four new tyres fitted for last MOT, and very few miles until recently.

Sensibly, I should keep her ... better the devil you know, so please make encouraging noises.

PS I eventually worked out how to get a new password ... I didn't realise it was a two stage affair. Not easy when Microsoft have withdrawn support for XP, so I can get websites but not email.
Thanks given by:
Hi,

Hmmm! "NO ANSWER!" was the stern reply.

Thanks given by:
I guess that sounds roughly right, never had one done at a garage tho.
You're looking at about 70-80 quid in parts, so I guess the rest in fitting is about right.

I dunno how much interest you'll have on here for it tho, it sounds like you're shocking when it comes to maintenance!!!
Thanks given by:
[quote it sounds like you're shocking when it comes to maintenance!!!
[/quote]

Hi RK3,

How can I be shocking at something I never do?

Here with a pic of my Land Rover Bitza. I built this on a new galv chassis in 1993, with a clapped engine. I did my best to destroy that engine ... never changed the oil or filter, only added oil if warning lamp came on when braking... 40 miles flat out without a fan belt, etc. This photo was taken in France in 2004. Same engine ... it refused to die. And she hadn't been washed since 1993. I reckon maintenance is overrated. ;-)

On the other hand, I change my tyres when they hit 3mm.

I don't expect the Pug to take the same abuse, but it was bought as a temporary hack at quite a low price, so servicing wasn't considered. But she has grown on me, maybe it's time for a bit of love. If she passes the MOT she can have a new belt, lube service, and a home for another year.

Thanks given by:
We tend to look after our cars on here, well, change the oil but bend conrods instead lol, I wouldn't buy a car off you though I'm afraid, I ain't stupid Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
[quote=I wouldn't buy a car off you though I'm afraid, I ain't stupid :D
[/quote]

Hi Matt,

Well, if you are going to adopt that attitude, I won't sell it to you,Big Grin

Actually, If I did sell it to you, it would be at a "project" price, and I would declare every known fault ... of which there won't be many ... whatever is on the MOT fail (if anything), heater fan, air conditioning, lack of remote locking, tail gate only locks/unlocks centrally, needs lube service, primitive entertainment, glove box lid, needs lots of glow plug to start. But starts from cold without smoke, and sitting on four low milage tyres.

OT .. apparently the Toyota HiLux is renouned for reliability despite lack of maintenance, so many are never
serviced. But when something does go wrong .... Doh

OT .. my wife had a Honda CRX (pre-VTECH), could indicate 70 in 2nd gear. It cost her almost as much in servicing as it cost her in petrol.

Thanks given by:
Troll much anyone?
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(11-11-2014, 09:34 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Troll much anyone?

Hi Matt,

If that is an indication that I have offended anybody, then I apologise. It was not my intention.

As and when, I will update you on the results of my MOT, and if it happens, the cost of a cam belt change. A friend has owned his 306 for 17 years. I asked his father if he had had his belt changed. Yes, about two years ago, cost under £200, he thinks. But a little too far away for my convenience.

Thanks given by:
£250-£350 sounds about right for the cambelt. I'd suggest you do the water pump at the same time.. sounds like a set of glow plugs and a service are required first though (assuming that the mot is passed)
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(12-11-2014, 09:27 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: £250-£350 sounds about right for the cambelt. I'd suggest you do the water pump at the same time.. sounds like a set of glow plugs and a service are required first though (assuming that the mot is passed)

Hi,

I am unable to log onto this forum, maybe its me in TechnoWimp mode, or maybe I've been excommunicated. Just in case anybody is interested in the end of the saga, I have shnecked in through the back door.

I took the car for MOT on Thursday. She passed with NO advisories, and complimentary comments from the tester. "So now get on with the rest of the jobs I want done!"

Replace cam-belt and water pump = £365. Change oil and filter = £70. MOT reduced to £25. Phone call later to say brake pads were getting thin = £130.
Total bill = £609, which I hope will see me right for a couple of years.

Which leaves me with just the heater fan to sort out. If anybody feels like helping, (I will pay) please PM me on either this addy or to w3526602, as I do not know if I will be able to access this forum again.

If the Moderator is able to comment or advise, I would be grateful.

Which
Thanks given by:
Why can't you log in on your old account? What does it say?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Half of me says genuine, half of me says Flynn.
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2014, 09:40 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: Half of me says genuine, half of me says Flynn.

Plus one......check that ip Foobs pmsl
Thanks given by:
It's not Flynn unless he's dramatically changed his writing style...
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2014, 11:43 AM)Toms306 Wrote: It's not Flynn unless he's dramatically changed his writing style...

ermm you reckon lol . . .not that much imo
Thanks given by:
Yep, pretty certain. I spend an awful lot of time reading shite on forums and get to know peoples writing styles...
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2014, 11:54 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Yep, pretty certain. I spend an awful lot of time reading shite on forums and get to know peoples writing styles...

Hmmm not sure Tom, i think your gaydar may be on the blink . . .Big Grin
Thanks given by:
If you don't believe me you could always stalk him, he's on a few other forums and even has a photobucket account in the same name. Tongue

His sexuality is none of my business! lol
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2014, 12:05 PM)Toms306 Wrote: If you don't believe me you could always stalk him, he's on a few other forums and even has a photobucket account in the same name. Tongue

His sexuality is none of my business! lol

i don't feel the need to stalk him since you already have . . .Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Lol, yeah, probably shouldn't admit that....it's not stalking if the info is publicly available on the internet though...right? lol
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2014, 12:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Lol, yeah, probably shouldn't admit that....it's not stalking if the info is publicly available on the internet though...right? lol

correct . . . . and it's not ra*e if the dress is so short you can already see the girls butt cheeks . . . .Big Grin
Thanks given by:
lmao
Thanks given by:
Just to satisfy you bitches, his IP is just used by him. Flynn won't be back here. He knows how much trouble he will end up in if he does Wink
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(23-11-2014, 12:49 PM)Niall Wrote: Just to satisfy you bitches, his IP is just used by him. Flynn won't be back here. He knows how much trouble he will end up in if he does Wink

does he have a brother? . . .lol
Thanks given by:
Hi,

I'm not sure what I have done to generate such animosity. ???

There should be a copy of the invoice for my MOT, though I hope you will understand why I folded the corner to hide my address.

But no point in staying where I'm not wanted.

Thanks given by:
I'm not sure where they get the idea that you're Flynn anyway tbh, I really can't see any similarities!

That's a pretty significant amount to spend on an old 306 though, so I guess you're keeping it a while longer now?
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2014, 03:49 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I'm not sure where they get the idea that you're Flynn anyway tbh, I really can't see any similarities!

That's a pretty significant amount to spend on an old 306 though, so I guess you're keeping it a while longer now?

Hi Tom,

Agreed! But what were my options. I need an estate with a tow-ball. There are very few £100 clunkers with a long MOT, on Ebay. In order to replace the 306 with something that MIGHT be as equally reliable, with known cam-belt history, and a long MOT, I would have to spend a similar amount of money. And it MIGHT NOT be as equally reliable. Better the devil I know! Gone are the days when I could change a Mini clutch, in 3 hours, working in the gutter.

Having had one of the jobs done, I was more or less obliged to have the others done,
or risk having a car, that I have just spend money on, with a wrecked engine parked in the outer lane of the motorway.

Money is funny stuff. Having to spend money you do have, is a different ball game from having to spend money you don't have. Will I keep it for a long time? I was hoping to change it for a camper, but probably best if I don't mention that to my SWMBO until the dust has settled. She has indicated that her coffers are getting a bit low.

Yes, I will poke fun at blue French cars, but I poke much worse fun at my Land Rover, and as for the things I said about SWMBO's Reliant Sabre 6 .... twenty years ago, and she still hasn't forgiven me.(Google 361 WYD)

Thanks given by:
You personally haven't done anything to justify any animosity. We just seem to have some rather rude members at the moment!

We used to have a guy on here who was very disturbed and had a very unique writing style. He was banned so many times and came back under different user names just to abuse people after a few weeks of asking for help. For some reason, people seem to think you are him seeing as your writing style is also fairly unique.
I'd just ignore the arseholes if i was you.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(23-11-2014, 05:21 PM)Niall Wrote: You personally haven't done anything to justify any animosity. We just seem to have some rather rude members at the moment!

We used to have a guy on here who was very disturbed and had a very unique writing style. He was banned so many times and came back under different user names just to abuse people after a few weeks of asking for help. For some reason, people seem to think you are him seeing as your writing style is also fairly unique.
I'd just ignore the arseholes if i was you.

Lol steady on Nelly, nothing rude has been said really, anyone that comes on a car club and boasts about not servicing their vehicles is gonna get bit of stick Smile
Thanks given by:
For what it's worth, since I've been on this forum, I've found all that I have conversed with friendly and open to discussions and other peoples knowledge. But in any club, forum, association, etc, there will always be a thorn in peoples side.

Will
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cam belt change dannyboy101 0 705 13-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Last Post: dannyboy101
  A/C removal and belt change philpemberton94 0 776 16-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Last Post: philpemberton94
  Belt change Scott_GT 4 1,455 09-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Last Post: Dave