Lower engine mount

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lower engine mount
Afternoon all,
Ive currently got a yellow Powerflex bottom mount which was spot on and a nice compromise on the standard engine however since fitting the charged engine, its not really standing up to the job i assume because of the extra power. Im looking for something a bit stiffer but don't want to go silly as i don't like the whole cabin vibrating lol.
Are the diesel powerflex mounts any stiffer than the petrol ones? And if thats a no go, I've heard of some people fitting a standard mount 90 degrees to the standard position. Again, any good?

Thanks all
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I thought the diesel ones were slightly softer?
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
IIRC the diesel (red) ones are softer as are the black powerflex. Purple might be harder but they dont make those.

The standard mount at 90 degrees is still shit.

I'd go for a Baker BM set up as once they have been on the car a few thousand miles they soften up considerably.

That or replace the top and gearbox mounts with something stiffer than standard as the 3 mounts work together.
Thanks given by:
ive got the full baker set on mine, alot less movement than before, bit of vibration but they do soften up.
Thanks given by:
Make your own! Inlove

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polycraft-SG20...3cc5240ae5

Take an old bush and burn the rubber out.
Attach the two steel pieces you are left with on a piece of plywood (don't forget to sink the middle piece into the surface),
apply release agent to the wood (generously) then pour the polyurethane.
Wait a few hours
Demold
Allow bush to harden for 24hrs
Reassemble
profit??
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
Vibratec from evilbay £30 Wink identical to the bm but still with the vibratec branding moulded into the rubber
Thanks given by:
I would highly recommend the Vibratechnics one.

clicky
Thanks given by:
For what it's worth, I've never found a Group N lower mount coupled with new/decent standard gearbox and upper mounts (and fork bush) to be too bad at all from a vibration and rattles point of view - that's the setup I tend to run on all my 205's to minimise engine movement without considerable increase in NVH

Given that's on a 205, which have far shoddier interior build quality than a 306, you should be fine.

It's when you start running Group N mounts all round that it becomes pretty horrible as a road car. The first few hundred miles before they settle down is bordering on intolerable frankly, although it does become better as the miles increase (if still unpleasant)
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Just looked through Baker BMs site. Is it also worth replacing the fork bush?

http://www.bakerbm.com/306.php?data=engfbusha306
Thanks given by:
Not if you value your fillings!

Again, I can only speak for 205's (but it's basically the same bush) but that fork bush dramatically increases NHV and, combined with Group N mounts, is frankly intolerable on a road going car. Defo track / race only that one unless you're a masochist

Personally, I'd just fit a new standard fork bush if yours is looking worse for wear.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Okay sure. I didnt know how much harsher it was than standard. Hadnt heard of people fitting them. Cheers
Thanks given by:
i've got baker bm polybushed fork you can try if you want - least it doesn't take long to change out

it was horrific on my derv though
Thanks given by:
As above the lower engine fork takes most of the vibe's from the engine along with torque re-action, the top 2 do very little really bar support the engine,
Vibra one's I have never had a issue with which is why I always use them and in a 306 bar maybe on Idle I think they are fine
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top engine mount Mighty306 6 3,104 12-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Last Post: cully
  Bottom engine mount fork bush DeeTurbo 5 1,590 08-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191
  Top engine mount rocker8742 12 2,507 07-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Last Post: joka-cro